The Price of football ( soccer ) in Oz

After being here for 18mnths now, can some please explain to me why football (soccer) is so expensive over here compared to other sports?

As a coach in the Uk my players paid £120 per season that included all match fees and a kit which was supplied by a sponsor. Over here the team that I coach charge $580 next season.

Now I know some are cheaper than that, around the $400 but also some teams in the city charge $1000.

It just amazes me were all the money goes; other sports such as AFL and cricket are reasonably priced.

Why in Oz is football so expensive, any ideas out there

Rob

No idea!!! But as the parent of a soccer player...it certainly does add up! Last season my son joined a new club, it cost us $900 for the season. This was around $560 for fees (including playing top) plus another $340 for the rest of the kit such as shorts, socks, away kit, tracksuit etc. Then add the cost of football boots, goalkeeper gloves (his a goalie), shin pads etc....Dont think we got much change out around $1200 to kit him out for the season.

We have just registered him for next season, and fortunately all his kit still fits, so its just the fees for us this time around, $590....well for the mean time anyway...football boots etc will be needed!

I don't know why its so elitist here in terms of cost, maybe the funding isnt here like it is in the UK from the FA?

Just a tip, if you need football stuff, check out shops in england because its very expensive over here!!! The Goalkeeper gloves my son wanted were $160 over here for one pair, we bought two pairs of the same gloves for the same price from the UK!

Edited by lorluc

Depends what level they want to play at - club my son played for (for the last 7 years) charges about $160 for the season - they have to buy shorts (any as long as they're the right colour) and club socks, and of course their own pads, and boots, but shirts and even goalie gloves were provided. The fee includes photo and trophy at the end of the season too, and all match fees. They were just playing for fitness and social reasons though, so I guess if you think your son is the next David Beckham you'd want something a bit more serious, but if it's just a matter of playing a sport they enjoy, then there is no reason to pay a fortune.

Forgot to add, if you as a parent do a weekends training and coach a team at the club, you don't even have to pay fees for your child... so if your son is still having to pay fees Rob, you should perhaps consider changing club!!

Edited by Diane

You have to have a junior License to coach under 11s and under, youth license for 12s to 14 and a seniors license for 14s up to 18s, go to the ffsa for info, the club should pay to do these and they are very good, I played for 25 years and still learnt a lot......this is for JPL and JSL leagues.........the fees are more expensive due to council ground rates are dearer here and so is power, because it is a second tier sport (unlike aussi football) the sponsorship isn't there also, plus all the kids want there name on the bags and shirts, you can however approach local business in the area and ask them for sponsorship.......for a hundred dollars the club may let you put the business name in the news letter or somewhere on the shirt or jacket..............do this 5 times and No Fees!!!! if you take the club to one side and your child is one of the good ones you may also be able to get the fees down (but only some clubs)

If you know anyone in the Semaphore area looking for a team let me know

Guest Guest75

Can't sponsorship happen here too???

It would be a good thing for local businesses to put back into the community.

Could well be worth a try.

I am sure each team has someone who is good at making approaches for this reason.

Our business sponsored a local soccer team in the UK.

It a kind of "keeping lads off the street and out of trouble" team.

Great coach and satisfying for us to see these kids do well.

Rob could you please tell me How I can become a weekend coach in Adelaide? Or if there are any requirements to become a coach. I'd love to coach.:smile:

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

In Adelaide Ali there are about three different bodies that run soccer in South Australia (at the minimum!) and each seems to operate independently of the others.... for instance, here is the Elizabeth and Districts coaching information: this covers junior teams in the East, North East and near North http://www.elizdists.com.au/coaching.html

Thank you Diane :smile: I studied the website and looked it through. I will be banging on a couple of doors. God There is so much to doooooooooo and I just hope I make the time for all of them:jiggy:

Cheers,:smile:

Ali