Here without partner AND child free?

Guest fluff

Guest Grezz

No partner or children here, either. Has it's advantages at times though - no back seat drivers or navigators when I go out for a drive at the weekend for starters :). No-one to complain how long I spend on the internet either ;).

Guest EmmaB

Hey all, we're looking at coming to Adelaide and we don't have children either, im 29 this year and Dij is 28....Fluff and I have spoken before as I was worried that we'd be the only ones without kids or under 30 (not that there's anything wrong with that of course!!) just nice to know there's others out there in a similar position.

Keen to hear from anyone about Adelaide from a younger couple's perspective rather than a family?!

Thanks

Em

Guest dotty

Hi,

I came out on my own in January, (but I'm not under 30 anymore):sad:

It's hard to meet people when you're on your own, at least with kids you go to the school and chat to other Mums etc. and I'm not brave enoogh to go to the pub alone!

Dotty

Guest EmmaB

Hi Lisa, As a 26 year old how do you find Adelaide?? we're currently living in London and although I don't want to move anywhere that resembles London life (i've totally had enough of the manic rat race!) i've heard Adelaide is more a large town than a bustling city...how do you find it? we're in our late twenties but have found so many older people and families moving there that it's a little concerning that it won't be enough for us???!!

Any views would be great!!

Hi Lisa, As a 26 year old how do you find Adelaide?? we're currently living in London and although I don't want to move anywhere that resembles London life (i've totally had enough of the manic rat race!) i've heard Adelaide is more a large town than a bustling city...how do you find it? we're in our late twenties but have found so many older people and families moving there that it's a little concerning that it won't be enough for us???!!

I came from Luton and I would put Adelaide on par with that. It has a village mentality - everyone knows everyone. I'm 35 now but arrived when I was 29. Nightlife is very different here as people don't hang out in pubs and the nightclubs are in the City. Although we live way down south in Seaford, sometimes I wish we had the money to live closer to the City where there we could have more of a metropolitan lifestyle such as Norwood, North Adelaide, Glenelg. We used to live in Henley Beach but I didn't like it there apart from the beautiful beach.

In my old age I'd rather live rural and have no neighbours than live in suburbia - that's our next move anyway. :wacko:

Guest KarenR

Hi,

Im single and child free in Adelaide as well and looking to make friends - is anybody free Easter Monday and maybe we could meet up for drinks and lunch/dinner or whatever anyone fancies.

Let me know what anyone thinks

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paul_smart

Hi Emma,

I was In adelaide 03/04 when I was 24 (now 29) travelled alone, had a friend up in the hills but he had familiy so couldn't impose, I loved it there and got by beacuse I got a really cra**y paid job in the city but the places I saw and people I met made the whole experience worth it, I'm also a Londoner and too hate the chaos that reigns here, Ade's is a quiet place, shockingly so to a Londoner - we have in London half the population of the whole of Oz!!! (ie 2 x london = OZ population)

So it's going to seem quiet, I'm looking to head to Glenelg as the beach is great and there is a bit of night life with younger people about, That said it was the Ozzies that made my stay, and once I made a few friends there were always house parties going on, sport events and even went to a wedding. Rush hour in Adelaide is quiter than London at any time of day, you have to see it before committing as it is a culture shock!

Guest sunshinerules

hi dotty love the name btw my name is nessa im partner and child free hear feels strange not doing things for other people all day every day im 43

Guest sunshinerules

hi dotty my name is nessa im here alone with out partner and two older children im 43 this is my second time to adelaide i am also new to pomms website and typing just thought i would let you know you are not alone ha

• 3 years later...

When we came to Adelaide we were 28 and 33 and have been here 4 years now and do not have any children. When we lived in Nottingham we were always out and about and in Adelaide we do the same. There are plenty of things to do and see, depending on what you like to do, for example this year already (and we are only half way through!!) we have been to see the World Tennis Challenge, Clipsal 500 (car racing), 10 shows at the Adelaide Fringe Festival, Wicked the musical, Cirque de Soleil, INXS and Train and Adelaide Symphony Orchestra playing Queen. We regularly eat out at some great restaurants. If you enjoy going out and about and eating out buy the Entertainment Book http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/ when you get here and you will save loads.

I would say for us there are just as many things to do as when we lived in Nottingham and in some cases we get to see things in Adelaide we would have to travel to London to see if we still lived in the UK.

We are not into pubs and clubs but Hindley Street in the city on a Friday/Saturday night is always pretty lively.

I think your location is important as well. We have always lived no more than 15 mins from the city centre. It takes us 15 mins to get to Glenelg, 15 mins to the city and on our road we can walk to use the bus, train and tram, so we only run one car. This makes life easy and pretty stress free.

Guest coling_uk

Hi Fluff

Just arrived on my lonesome. Don't know whether to share a house and be forced to make friends or live alone and atleast get used to the neighbours. However, whilst daunting getting here and with all the associated emotions...I'm glad I did it. People are friendly, work buddies are polite and nice to me...makes a change!

My priority is getting a place to rent and then look to make friends, based on the people in Adelaide I don't expect it to be too long...

Hope you can push some friends on to me.

Colin

Guest cornish Busdriver

I moved here with my partner and no kids.

Now on my own with no kids, so anyone wanna meet up for a drink sometime ?

I moved here with my partner and no kids.

Now on my own with no kids, so anyone wanna meet up for a drink sometime ?

I do monthly (adults only) pub meet ups through a Facebook Expats group (and also just started the group for childfree in Adelaide) so those are places to find people to meet up with for drinks as well.