Horses in adelaide

siandear

Hi

I was wondering how is the best way to get involved in riding clubs etc in Adelaide - I would also like to start doing some local show jumping etc - and was wondering if there were things like riding clubs etc in Australia - or if not what is the best way to involved.

Sian

Hi Sian

I have recently been asking the same sort of questions, I have just got back into riding a few weeks ago and had a couple of lessons. Of you search on here for horses the posts are old but still useful. I just googled away looked at reviews etc to find a place for lessons. I'm not sure about clubs, I have only had 2 lessons since being in Adelaide and thinking of trying a different place. The places I thought looked best for riding are in belair and hahndorf (still to try) I have seen show jumping a few times along tapleys hill road just south of the airport but I read something recently about that particular club no longer being there not sure if they stopped all together or moved. But I would start by going to a riding school near to you and perhaps also enquire in a saddlery, bonnetts seem to be very good and knowledgeable.

From what I can tell with clubs etc its very simulate to how it is in the UK great if you own a horse, if not you can watch!

Hi

We fly in march and have horses in the uk which we will sadly be leaving behind. I will be buying a couple on Adelaide when we get settled as they will impact where we eventually settle.

I will keep you posted... Lots of livery yards advertised on gum tree but I will be looking for riding and stabling in Foothills- tea tree gully, high bury and beyond.

Hey thanks for this - I am also leaving my horse behind - but was thinking if things work out I would ship her over in about a year. It seems quite a stress for them, and sooooo expensive, but I cannot imagine ever selling her. Exactly the same with us (to the annoyance of my other half) we are looking at areas where a horse lifestyle is possible - looking at Belair area at the moment and the Hills - Stirling etc. I am still waiting for my work Visa - but should be leaving mid to late March!!!! Scary.

Hi guys

I have been in adelaide for a year and bought my horse 4 months ago! I am in the north east suburbs at the mo and keep my mare at Humbug scrub in the hills, absolutely beautiful hacking/ trails. Riding schools are few and far between here, i have found 2, one is in templewood who also offer livery/ agistment and another further north in Kudla. I think the south may have more hahndorf or mount barker area.

Pony club here incorporates adults too so thats good, but do not appear to run in the summer so no PC camps for the kids in summer hols:sad:

Not really sure about competing, as my mare is only 4! But riders need to be registered with EA every year, horses once only.

If it helps my agistment is $50 week for stable and individual 24/7 turnout. With access to floodlit school, trainer, fabulous trails and lovely fencing! I think part livery there is $85 week and its a small american barn. Farrier is $40 for a trim as she is barefoot, hay from fodder stores isnt cheap around $12 to $15 a bale! Off the field is half that price if you have storage. A good website for all things horse is http://www.myaushorse.com. For saddlery its generally either horseland or bonnetts.

If you are still in the UK bring as much new stuff over, jodhs, grooming kit, boots both horse and human!, as its much cheaper than here. In fact i ordered a metal curry comb from the uk as couldnt find one here!!

Hope that helps, Andrea x

That's good, we will be bringing hats, back protectors, and a brand new full grooming kit. All rugs and stuff will go with the horse. We have loads of jods and boots which will come too.

Is there enough grazing all year round? From the livery I have seen some have just a field and wash down area. I can't wait to see the hacking and the good weather....I am getting tired of hibi scrubbing off the mud and applying Vaseline...

Thats so useful - the costs of grazing do not seem to bad where you are and sounds like you have good facilities too. I am still in Uk, so will bear that in mind - should be leaving late March. I also noticed that places look very dry and bare - but i suppose horses are used to that and just need hay all summer? I have no idea - I keep my horse off the grass as she had lamanitis one year - but I guess thats one problem you dont have - too much grass!

I will look at the link you sent too - and thank you again. I am nervous about the whole move and talking to you guys really helps :-)

• 2 weeks later...
That's good, we will be bringing hats, back protectors, and a brand new full grooming kit. All rugs and stuff will go with the horse. We have loads of jods and boots which will come too.

Is there enough grazing all year round? From the livery I have seen some have just a field and wash down area. I can't wait to see the hacking and the good weather....I am getting tired of hibi scrubbing off the mud and applying Vaseline...

Hi

There are quite a few livery places around dependent on where you choose to live. It takes me about 25 mins to get to the yard from my current house, hoping to move closer in july. Some places have grazing especially down south! Unfortunately i don't so shes in a bare paddock thats also rather steep.....don't think i will ever get used to that,lol! So hay all year round for me...

Yep you can leave the vaseline there.....no mud fever here!! Does get quite wet at times though!:cool:

Willing to meet up when you get here if your in this neck of the woods!:biggrin:

Hi Siandear

Glad that helps! Unfortunately laminitis is still an issue here for those with access to pasture, in some ways im lucky that its all bare and dusty at the moment where mine is kept, and she'll have hay all year round. The horses are used to it and the amount of rugging that goes on here is amazing!:shocked:Even in the summer!!

You are arriving at a good time of year, not too hot so that you have to ride very early. This is the website where i keep my mare http://www.horseridingandagistment.com.au you will even see me from behind on my friends appaloosa:shocked::biglaugh:

Try not to be nervous, it wil be fine, and if you want to meet up when you arrive then let me know! :smile:

Guest katsmajic

Hey, glad its not just me that finds the rugging odd, hay expensive, and anything horse orientated/needed damn expensive. I've bought heaps online and its alot cheaper even with the postage.

I have my girl in McLaren Vale, lots of trial riding around, awesome facilities too. There are alot of adult riding clubs and pony clubs around. Pony club is quite different. The Metro showground is the one near the airport off tapleys hill road. myaushorse have an events section which is useful, but not everything gets on there. I've popped along to Aldinga Riding Club...some friendly people, others not at all....bizzare at the small areas they will host a show in. They love their dressage here.....and as much as i'm for natural horsemanship some take it way to literally/too far to the downfall of the poor horse..IMO.

Property out in the northern burbs (two wells etc) have good horse places, i dont want to move away from the beach so am looking down south, property is more expensive unless you go over the hills towards myponga/mt compass down to Victor Harbor etc, which are lovely but wet/cold/foggy in winter, on a plus they have almost year round grazing....

Guest katsmajic

PS, a friend brought her back protectors and kids stuff - all got destroyed by customs, despite being a higher quality than you can buy here! Pay attention to the labelling of your boxes when shipping....horse gear boxes are going to be pulled apart - same as Xmas dec's boxes and bikes lol...make sure everything is spotless and smells clean.

Thanks.

i haven't packed anything in the container.....

i am just bringing three hats and a back protector in main luggage. They will be spotless and I think if they destroy them I haven't lost anything. They are all in as new condition. Am hoping hey will be exactly the same as other clothing. However, I will declare them as we come thru.

fingers crossed...

PS, a friend brought her back protectors and kids stuff - all got destroyed by customs, despite being a higher quality than you can buy here! Pay attention to the labelling of your boxes when shipping....horse gear boxes are going to be pulled apart - same as Xmas dec's boxes and bikes lol...make sure everything is spotless and smells clean.