Youth Culture

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Hi

Our son has just returned from a superstore and told us that he and his girlfriend were on the receiving end of some unsavoury abuse from a gang of youngsters :(aged from 10 to 21. He was just walking into the store to buy some shopping and hadn't done anything to attract their attention (apart from have a pretty girl with him!!). The other day my wife and I noticed three young kids crossing a road very nonchalantly and at the same time deliberately holding the traffic up to annoy drivers. When one driver bibbed his horn, that's when the abuse started, and all from kids no older that 10 years old. I could go on but you get the picture, and no doubt you will be aware of some of the tragedies that have befallen people who have been victims of violent gangs of youths across the UK recently:sad:.

This has prompted me to ask about youth culture in Adelaide. Does anyone have an opinion on how kids are in general in OZ. What is the 'climate' like. Do they congregate in gangs late at night in public places (are there such places in Adelaide?). Or are kids, teenagers more respectful over in Oz than they seem to be over here nowadays. I don't want to start a debate, I just wanted to get a perspective on what I think is an important issue. I would really appreciate your thoughts please.

Many Thanks

:)

Alan

The youth culture you mention in the UK is one of the reasons we left.

The difference in the youth culture in Adelaide compared to the UK is like night and day.

We used to live in Nottingham (the gun crime capital of the UK) and voted last year on Location, Location, Location the 4th worst place to live in the UK. If you 'looked' at someone you were in trouble. Living in Adelaide is like arriving on another planet to us. There are no hoodies hanging around the streets and hoards of teenage mothers pushing prams around the city centre. People are very friendly and go out of their way to help and chat to you.

There are certain areas in Adelaide where if you visit the shopping mall you will find teenagers who are less polite and well behaved than in other areas, but if you avoid those areas I do not feel you will have a problem.

I have to agree with Jessica. The degree of the behaviour from youths here is far less than the U.K, although I'm not saying it doesn't happen here because it does.

I'd say its more sporadic here. In the U.K, you knew for sure that if you went to the corner shop on an evening youths would be hanging out there. Here we'll get the occasional group of Hoon's who have just passed their driving test and find it funny to drive up and down the road, making skid marks one evening. Then you won't see them again.

House parties are one of the biggest trouble spots where kids come to gate crash teenage parties, but then again, if the police need to be called, its dispersed and over and done with.

I personally find teenagers here far more polite than in the U.K. My friend Lorna and I were chatting this morning ( hope you don't mind me sharing our conversation Lorna!!) and she lives in Aldinga. They were on the beach a few weeks ago during the heat wave and it was packed out with families and gangs of teenagers. A few had bottles of beers etc. Now in the U.K, its most likely that fights would have broken out. Here the boys were helping dig out cars that had got stuck in the sand and then playing a game of cricket or messing about in the sea with the inflatables. Young kids were everywhere with their families but no one felt threatened by these teenagers.

I guess these are just a couple of examples we see here. Its good to read about the comparisons from across the globe.:wubclub:

Judi x

Guest Nick11
Hi

Our son has just returned from a superstore and told us that he and his girlfriend were on the receiving end of some unsavoury abuse from a gang of youngsters :(aged from 10 to 21. He was just walking into the store to buy some shopping and hadn't done anything to attract their attention (apart from have a pretty girl with him!!). The other day my wife and I noticed three young kids crossing a road very nonchalantly and at the same time deliberately holding the traffic up to annoy drivers. When one driver bibbed his horn, that's when the abuse started, and all from kids no older that 10 years old. I could go on but you get the picture, and no doubt you will be aware of some of the tragedies that have befallen people who have been victims of violent gangs of youths across the UK recently:sad:.

This has prompted me to ask about youth culture in Adelaide. Does anyone have an opinion on how kids are in general in OZ. What is the 'climate' like. Do they congregate in gangs late at night in public places (are there such places in Adelaide?). Or are kids, teenagers more respectful over in Oz than they seem to be over here nowadays. I don't want to start a debate, I just wanted to get a perspective on what I think is an important issue. I would really appreciate your thoughts please.

Many Thanks

:)

Alan

The only abuse I've witnesssed here were 3 geordie lads in mcdonalds mouthing off. Theres nothing like that here.

3 years ago we visited Brisbane. One night we were sat on the beach at night - me and the kids had gone to get food whilst hubby waited by himself. 4 lads sat near him and lit up - we think they were smoking pot!!! When I returned with the kids they got up and apologised for smoking so close to the kids and moved away!

Could you see that happening in the uk!

In a strange way that was the defining moment we knew oz was for us!!!!!!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Let's hope the " British youth culture" doesn't find it's way here, somehow I don't feel confident,

Guzzler

I think sadly it already is...a friends daughter has told me that most of the members of a "particular" gang are english...NOICE!

sarah

Guest Guzzler&Sas
I think sadly it already is...a friends daughter has told me that most of the members of a "particular" gang are english...NOICE!

sarah

Yes Sarah heard the other day from a mate(British) about a gang of Brits starting to hang around near the shops to where he lives:sad:,

Let's hope the Aussie goverment State or Federal have the balls to nip this sort of behaviour in the bud

Guzzler

(Grumpy Old Man)

Guest Tracijbc
The youth culture you mention in the UK is one of the reasons we left.

The difference in the youth culture in Adelaide compared to the UK is like night and day.

We used to live in Nottingham (the gun crime capital of the UK) and voted last year on Relocation, Relocation, Relocation the 4th worst place to live in the UK. If you 'looked' at someone you were in trouble. Living in Adelaide is like arriving on another planet to us. There are no hoodies hanging around the streets and hoards of teenage mothers pushing prams around the city centre. People are very friendly and go out of their way to help and chat to you.

There are certain areas in Adelaide where if you visit the shopping mall you will find teenagers who are less polite and well behaved than in other areas, but if you avoid those areas I do not feel you will have a problem.

Jessica you have made me breathe a sigh of relief. This is one of the main reasons I want to get out of Nottingham, and it sounds like we have made the right choice. We have been the victims of crime since we moved to our current house in Carrington 5 years ago, (car crime, arson attack etc), and can't wait to leave here to live somewhere safer and happier. I was born and raised in Nottingham and never thought I would be glad to leave, what a shame. I just don't want to grow old somewhere where it is too dangerous to go out after 5pm in the winter.

Looking forward to making that journey more and more.

Traci xx

Guest Tina P

Yes Sarah heard the other day from a mate(British) about a gang of Brits starting to hang around near the shops to where he lives:sad:,

Hi

Where are the shops ?

Tina

:policeman:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
That'll be the chav tossers at Hallett Cove then.
Couldnt have put it better myself...thanks sidestep! I knew someone would know who I meant! An ozzie friend had her son beaten up by one a while back too:arghh:,

sarah

Guest alan smallman

Thanks Jessica and Judi, Tina, keith & Nick (hope I've not missed anyone out) for your replies. I think I'm starting to get to that stage where I'm wondering if we're doing the right thing. I could tell you loads of stories which I have witnessed personally (we live in Boston by-the-way - apparently the fat capital of the UK). But your reply (and those of others too) is an indication that there is a better way of life to be discovered. 10 years ago we moved here and we are now seeing the difference. There is a total lack of respect for other people from certain types who are not brought up but dragged up. I appreciate that there are sometimes reasons for how people turn out this way, but the law is definately on the side of criminals and the unruly element. I had to write to my mp as my son was beaten up by a gang in Boston's central park (because he was wearing pink trainers). The lad was known to the courts and had by his own admission, admitted to just having come out of juvenile detention. He also threatened to knife our daughter (21) who was up from London where she is studying at the Central school Of Speech & Drama as a Film/Theatre Director. Just imagine if he'd have done it. The only thing that was stopping him was that it was on a Wedesday afternoon on Market Day and that there were loads of shoppers present who would have witnessed it!! The Police didn't arrest him, and made no attempts to even days afterwards. Indeed, I had to go in and demand something was done and I also (I felt) had to tell them that I was a nurse just to get them to accept that my son came from (I'd like to think) good stock, and wasn't involved in a 'baseball-hat-white-tracky-wearing' youth gang brawl. They arrested him eventually when he was seen brazenly walking across their car park!!! My kids were told that they would not have to sit in the same room as his friends and family when they went to court (in Boston believe me this matters tremendously) and as usual, after having been given guarantees that this would not happen, .........it did. No wonder people don't want to give evidence. I believe that the prosecution stated that they would not be 'doing' him for the threat to stab our daughter as this would lead to a higher court becoming involved etc etc, and so he got off with a £75.00 fine and was able to pay it in affordable denominations. That was two years ago and he still hasn't paid it off!!!!

Anyway, food for thought. from what you've all said, it doesn't appear to be as bad, although as we all know, you can find trouble wherever you go. we just want to minimise the risks that's all. Glad that I've got a few of us 'talking' as-it-were. Many Many thanks.

Looking forward to coming over in May just to see a little for ourselves.

Alan & Pauline

Guest alan smallman

So, I was going to ask (Nick) what EHC means? I take it that that means East Hallet Cove? Is this an area to avoid d'you think? where do you live and where would you recommend to settle? Chavs, and their staffies - god bless 'em!!!

Guest graandjac
Let's hope the " British youth culture" doesn't find it's way here, somehow I don't feel confident,

Guzzler

Have to agree with Keith , as snobby as it sounds we were kinda hoping that the sourt of people making the move are not the folk that let there 12,13,14 year olds hang around late at night making hastle for others. :unsure:When on our reccie we laughed at where all the teens miust be at night because apart from the very odd ocassion we never saw any , where were they....lol. Cheers Graham

Guest lastboyscout
So, I was going to ask (Nick) what EHC means? I take it that that means East Hallet Cove? Is this an area to avoid d'you think? where do you live and where would you recommend to settle? Chavs, and their staffies - god bless 'em!!!

Whats wrong with staffies?:biglaugh:

Can I be a chav if I own a staffie please?:biglaugh:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

EHC stands for elite hallett cove. They dont seem to be into the sort of trouble you are talking about. They graffitti around,(which is big out here) caused some trouble at a party and hang around the shops at HC. I used to look and think they looked like pommy chavs and have been since told by a girl who goes to the local school most of the members are english

When we were looking for an area to buy we came across Hallett Cove and without knowing anything about the area we went into the Estate Agent there and the man working there said "its like Little Britain here", with that we said thank you but that is not for us and left!

You only have to look at Elizabeth, the area where the majority of post war British migrants settled and now one of the worst areas in Adelaide to know that in a few years Hallett Cove will be the new Elizabeth.

We moved to Australia to get away from all the problems associated with living in Britain.

We have come to the other side of the world to start our life from scratch, why would we choose to live in a "Little Britain", if we loved living in Britain that much we would have stayed there!

to be honest my husband wants to move to hallet cove, he says the more the english there the more friends, work, better social life etc

but i dont know what to think:wacko:i do want lots of friends and i think this will happen no matter where i go.

hallet cove sounds wonderful for us lots going on etc, but dont know theres just something holding me back about the place, any advice on peolpe living there/or not would be great.

i know when hubby e-mailed hallet cove r-12 they said they where up to the ceiling with application forms off english familys,which also put me off abit,there will be no room by the time we get there:biglaugh:

There are plenty of other suburbs where you could try. The near hills suburbs of Blackwood, Aberfoyle Pk, Coromandel valley, hawthorndene are great for families and still close to the beach ( about 15 - 20 mins away). The schools there are good. Nowhere in adelaide is that far from anywhere else and if you get in contact with people living inthose southern suburbs they are only 15 - 20 mins away. my hubby is from Liverpool, from fazakerley. he grew up there, went to school locally, all his friends lived there, you know only round the corner.... they still do.... which is great when he goes back to a visit. if your hubby grew up like that then it may feel daunting to move to a suburb where there are no people like yourselves. Your kids will grow up here and be Australian in their outlook. Our middle one ended up being born in Liverpool, but we came back here when she was 1.

My daughters went to Liverpool last yr to meet the cousins, they loved it and the youngest wanted to know why we couldn't live there.... You can't win.:cute:

Guest louiesmum

Hi

I've tried to write this post several times, but it never says what I want if you know what I mean, I'm sure this is how most people feel, perhaps all members of families should be police checked!!!!this behaviour by the few just makes me sad, lets hope the Oz Gov don't/won't tolerate it!!

thanks for that rach say hi to ur hubby, a scouser.

just going to pick a north, east, south, west sub and go with that till we get there.

where do you live?

can i just say i loved reading your journey over to oz it was fab it nearly cost me my marrige:biglaugh:was helping hubster paint the living room(for the big sale) and while he went to b+q for more white paint i put poms in ad on and he came back and caught me:realmad: ha ha but i wouldnt remove myself UNTIL i read the whole storie it was great so yep thanks or that, finished the painting anyway so no worries gurl xx

Guest sarahsmartiepants
When we were looking for an area to buy we came across Hallett Cove and without knowing anything about the area we went into the Estate Agent there and the man working there said "its like Little Britain here", with that we said thank you but that is not for us and left!

quote]That is a very short sighted view (the agent).....the whole of Adelaide is Little Britain..........there is no escaping the pom I am afraid, unfortunatly there are some of the less savory ones here too!:arghh: