Considering the move down under

Guest dj78

Guest dj78

Hi there,

I really hope that somebody out there may be able to help me??? My husband has been invited to apply for a Visa under a state sponsorship to Adelaide. We have two young aged 5 and 3 so it's really important that we explore and research everything properly before making our final decision to move to Australia. My parents have kindly agreed to have our kids for a short time at the beginning of August so that the two of us can visit and really see what life is like. We wish, if possible, to meet with a few families that have already been in our position so that we can see what life is like in comparison to England, warts and all.

We wondered if anybody would be willing to meet with us to go through the good points and not so good points so that we can make a more balanced decision before we take the final plunge. We will be arriving in Adelaide on the Friday evening of 2nd August so this would leave us with time from Saturday 3rd August until we leave on Saturday night the 10th August. Because we can't leave our children for very long, we have such a small amount of time in order to really get to grips with Australian life, so we need to make the most of the time we have there. We don't want to see Adelaide through tourists eyes so feel that this will be a really important part of our decision making process.

If anybody is at all willing to make contact with us either on the forum or in person when we arrive, we would greatly appreciate it.

We look forward to hearing from somebody soon.

Many thanks

Danielle smile.gif

Guest Adelaide_bound

Happy to chat as well, must admit I'm massively massively in favour of Oz and Adelaide, especially for children, so a bit biased maybe (although I will concede there are a few negatives to here as well, but generally I think some people think I'm a bit ott over here. I don't think I am, I just really really really love it lol)

Happy for both forum and RL chatting, just let me know :)

Guest Becster19

Happy to meet up. Soo (Robin) and I meet up on quite a regular basis so you can hit both of us in one go if you like! :-) Send one or both of us a message and we can see what we can arrange.

Guest dj78

Hi there,

Thanks for saying that you are happy to chat. It's such an exciting but mind blowing adventure when we think of all the things that we have to do.

Would you be willing to meet up with us when we come over? We would really appreciate it if you could. How long have you been there yourself?

Thanks

Danielle

(Had to reply to the thread as for some reason having difficulties sending a personal message. I'm not very technical!!)

Guest dj78

Hi,

Really appreciate you saying that you would meet up. So great that we have found people that are willing to do this. Again, having trouble doing personal messages so may have to get my husband to look at it for me.

Will try and send PM later.

Thanks

Hi,

Really appreciate you saying that you would meet up. So great that we have found people that are willing to do this. Again, having trouble doing personal messages so may have to get my husband to look at it for me.

Will try and send PM later.

Thanks

Hi Danielle, you should be able to Private Message members now (by clicking on the members name to the left of the post and choosing 'Private message' from the drop-down options.) The option wouldn't have been available to you earlier as it doesn't become available until after members have made at least 2 posts on the forum.

Hi, we've been here almost a year (the end of July). We too abandoned our three children and flew over for just over a week's worth of reccie. It was super useful; it allowed my husband to make contact with recruitment agencies so that when we finally arrived they were already aware of him and had his CV, we met with the people we were house-sitting for, we drove A lot and had a good nosy around suburbs, we also did some holiday stuff and enjoyed being together without the children for the first time in ten years and since we'd not been to Adelaide before (although we had visited Australia) it gave us a little bit of an idea of what it was like as a city.

If, after all of the other offers to meet, you have time, I'd be happy to otherwise I'll try and help with anything you might be worrying over.

It's such a huge decision to make and now we've been here for a while I'd certainly say it was the right move for us, although we are about to move again from where we've been renting in Lockleys all the way down south to Mclaren Vale which the children are having a hard time with (move around the world, make friends, move again....) but I'm hoping that in another year we all be settled properly and enjoying everything thing there here. For us us the move to Australia was all about adventure and "what if" as we approached 40 and it certainly fits the bill in that respect - nothing is the same and although the routine of everyday life is still there because everything is different and new I've spent a lot of this first year learning. Sorry, rambling now, but if you'd like help - ask.