Meet up in the UK - North Lincolnshire & Yorkshire

Guest MandiMR2

Guest MandiMR2

:idea:

Any members interested in a meet up in or around North Lincolnshire & Yorkshire? or is there one occurring in any of these area's that I haven't come across?

I'm a nurse & my partner is an electrician, we're moving to Adelaide in Jan & thought it would be good to meet other members & share experiences & advice face to face & hopefully make some new friends, Mandi.

Hi Mandi I too am a nurse and we would be happy to meet up with you if the meet up is in yorkshire, we will in Leeds. Hopefully we can all meet up soon. Lisa

Hi soccer65, how is life back there in my old home town of Leeds? I will be back there in November sometime and can only hope the weather is as you have now!! Have a nice meet If you make it and good luck with emmigration matters.

Keith

HI Keith, Leeds itself is a great place to live , has its ups and downs like everywhere else. The rugby and football not great at the moment but its where our loyalties lie. The country itself is let down. The weather is a shocker to be honest yesterday it was red hot, then windy then it rained then we had thunder and lightening so apart from snow we experienced everything yesterday, my god its muggy though. It is nice to get out and about, you just cant go anywhere when its raining.. Where abouts in Leeds were you ? hope the weather still ok for November and that you have a great time. and thank you , need all the luck we can get right now.

HI Keith, Leeds itself is a great place to live , has its ups and downs like everywhere else. The rugby and football not great at the moment but its where our loyalties lie. The country itself is let down. The weather is a shocker to be honest yesterday it was red hot, then windy then it rained then we had thunder and lightening so apart from snow we experienced everything yesterday, my god its muggy though. It is nice to get out and about, you just cant go anywhere when its raining.. Where abouts in Leeds were you ? hope the weather still ok for November and that you have a great time. and thank you , need all the luck we can get right now.

:notworthy:Born and bred on the burley side of headingley cricket/rugby ground, fond memories from childhood right through to having my own family, my wife whom is from the west country and was not a city girl really liked Leeds too, how about you? Have you been to that new entertainment venue yet?Why do you need all the luck you can get? or is that being too nosey?

You have been a member on here quite a while now so whats your status with coming out? With your current weather then maybe Melbourne would be more fitting:eek:. We normally get back to England once a year, we have young grandkids down in the west country and all the wifes family, with my parents and other relatives in Leeds.

Cheers Keith

Why so far North? Don't forget about us unsocial lot down South. I tried to arrange something but not a single positive reply so I guess nobody south of Birmingham is wanting to move!

S

I don't think its that people are not moving or not wanting to meet, its probably just logistics for many. The south of the UK is a big place and travelling can put people off.

We live near Bristol and tbh would not really want to travel far to meet others at this point in time. Far easier once in Adelaide than here IMHO. We've 1001 things to do before we move in Oct and have plans to see family and friends over the summer before we go. It would be nice to meet a few other prospective migrants but my priorities with the time we have left here are with those I already know.

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Hi, I think that is a great idea we would definitely be interested in meeting up. We are in Notts at the moment. I am an OT and my Hubby is a care-co-ordinator we both work in Social care. We are hoping to make the move Sept 2014 when my 15 year old has finished his GCSE's.

Why so far North? Don't forget about us unsocial lot down South. I tried to arrange something but not a single positive reply so I guess nobody south of Birmingham is wanting to move!

S

Hi srg73, as snifter says there is the logistics element, but you also need to look at whom started the thread, there location and original post, the intent was to catch the local to them, but I am sure anyone from anywhere would be welcome. Though I do not think any date or location has being posted yet, if it happens to be in December then I might be able to make it myself and wife of course.

Try your post again for a meet down south, be careful though or you might get a busload of northerners:rolleyes:

Guest MandiMR2

S

Apologies if I've offended you srg73, my intentions are solely to arrange a meet up that's not too far for myself & other local members to travel. I've seen many other meet ups that have been too far for me to attend due to limitations on travelling, so thought I'd arrange a more local one. Yourself along with any other members anywhere are more than welcome to join us, the more the merrier!

Hi all, no offence just asking the question to why nobody in the Southern half of UK is interested in meeting up? I had suggested St Albans area as near a whole load of motorways and London but also has an award winning pub which are happy to put up with a booking of wanna be Australians.

I simply feel that the meet up would be much more useful than shows etc as they are more intimate and you are able to speak to each other about your actual experiences. I personally feel that there is a large cloak of mystery over the whole emigrating thing, created by agents to ensure their businesses remain busy. Most emigration cases I'm sure are simple and can be done DIY especially if you are able to learn from others experiences!

We are flying over Sept to validate and have another look around including some potential employers. Decision regarding timing thereafter.

S

A few years ago we were coming back to the UK for a 'holiday' and there was a thread running at that time saying people were meeting up and we offered to go along and chat to people about life in Adelaide. We were prepared to give up our time to help people out. No one was interested.

On the other hand at the same time someone contacted us via PM asking for info and advice and we said we will be back in the UK and would be happy to meet up if they were interested. The couple drove for about 3 hours to meet up with us and I think they even stayed overnight at a hotel. After meeting this couple I then subsequently spotted a job I thought he would stand a good chance of getting and told him to apply for it while they were still in the UK as the closing date was just as they were arriving and he was subsequently offered the job.

My take on it is if people want to make the effort they will. I am happy to help people that help themselves.

Edited by Jessica Berry

S

I am sure Mandi won't mind one bit if you wish to go along, but some people don't want to travel more than 30minutes - 1 hour. If traveling doesn't bother you go and catch up with them as I agree it's great to meet up with people in the same situation as you.

If you want to arrange a meet down South try posting it on Pomsinoz as you have a lot more traffic over there, the only problem with it though is that your post soon gets lost with the amount of threads coming in.

:notworthy:Born and bred on the burley side of headingley cricket/rugby ground, fond memories from childhood right through to having my own family, my wife whom is from the west country and was not a city girl really liked Leeds too, how about you? Have you been to that new entertainment venue yet?Why do you need all the luck you can get? or is that being too nosey?

You have been a member on here quite a while now so whats your status with coming out? With your current weather then maybe Melbourne would be more fitting:eek:. We normally get back to England once a year, we have young grandkids down in the west country and all the wifes family, with my parents and other relatives in Leeds.

Cheers Keith

We came out to live in Adelaide 2009 , let just say I didnt give it a go and certainly didnt give it long enough, so we came back, i think things were not fitting into place we had jobs before we went etc which didnt come off in the end and expectations were not happening , i just thought this is not meant to be (believer in fate), but it was just as bad when we came back so i have now woken up and smelt the roses and realised im not actually able to predict the future so i try not to panic anymore and go with the flow, i must admit i pine for Adelaide , its views etc more poor hubby never wanted to come back in the first place but we are hoping to become ping pong poms, I need the luck because its much harder to get a visa now and more expensive but we re hanging in there. I have not been to the new entertainment centre although i pass it everyday for work at the LGI. I like living in LEEDS this is where my family were, but its time to leave and go back to where I now know we belong. We too are hoping to visit the Uk yearly but we will have to wait and see.

Hi all, no offence just asking the question to why nobody in the Southern half of UK is interested in meeting up? I had suggested St Albans area as near a whole load of motorways and London but also has an award winning pub which are happy to put up with a booking of wanna be Australians.

I simply feel that the meet up would be much more useful than shows etc as they are more intimate and you are able to speak to each other about your actual experiences. I personally feel that there is a large cloak of mystery over the whole emigrating thing, created by agents to ensure their businesses remain busy. Most emigration cases I'm sure are simple and can be done DIY especially if you are able to learn from others experiences!

We are flying over Sept to validate and have another look around including some potential employers. Decision regarding timing thereafter.

S

For us its the logistics. St Albans is a 2-3 hour drive for us. Also if its an evening then we need someone to look after our son. And we are both working during the week and weekends atm are taken up doing other stuff before we move in Oct. Had we been due to move sometime next year, I'd most likely be saying yes, I'd be up for that but as our move is now so close, I'd rather wait till in Adelaide.

Hopefully we'll see you once you arrive over there to live :)

Guest Rachael M Bowen
Exactly the same predicament as us Rachael, is your son happy to go ...............

He wasn't at first but slowly slowly he has come round to it. At first I think it was "if I don't talk about it it wont happen!" The thing is with us is that I am not with his dad so he has the choice to stay in the UK. We agreed to him finishing his GCSE's in the UK then do SACE (UK A level) in Adelaide . Also the amount of our friends and family that were really supportive and encouraging, he began to think he should at least try it, and now he tells people he'd be a fool not to try.

I still don't know if he fully believes it will happen but that's teenagers, head in the sand!!! I think it would be easier if my lad had siblings so he wasn't on his own. If all goes to plan I would like to get a job first and Trev not work but have time with Bram to visit schools, explore the area and basically have a bit of fun. The good thing is that Oz school terms don't start till January so he could potentially have 3 months chill out. I would like him to have taster sessions at school so that he can meet people.

So is your child 15/16? How many do you have?

He wasn't at first but slowly slowly he has come round to it. At first I think it was "if I don't talk about it it wont happen!" The thing is with us is that I am not with his dad so he has the choice to stay in the UK. We agreed to him finishing his GCSE's in the UK then do SACE (UK A level) in Adelaide . Also the amount of our friends and family that were really supportive and encouraging, he began to think he should at least try it, and now he tells people he'd be a fool not to try.

I still don't know if he fully believes it will happen but that's teenagers, head in the sand!!! I think it would be easier if my lad had siblings so he wasn't on his own. If all goes to plan I would like to get a job first and Trev not work but have time with Bram to visit schools, explore the area and basically have a bit of fun. The good thing is that Oz school terms don't start till January so he could potentially have 3 months chill out. I would like him to have taster sessions at school so that he can meet people.

So is your child 15/16? How many do you have?

HI Rachael

My daughter is 15 and my youngest is 3, our eldest is 18 and will be following us as soon as he has finished his engineering degree. I think Georgia just wants to go to college so will look into this for her but she is in to performing arts (her dramatics are amazing lol) . Our negotiation with Georgia is that once she reaches 18 if she is not happy she can return back to the UK but she has to give it a go. she really enjoyed it last time, i let her down tying to please everyone else this is what spurs me on, i know in my heart and my head this is the best move for my family. good luck with everything.

Guest Rachael M Bowen
HI Rachael

My daughter is 15 and my youngest is 3, our eldest is 18 and will be following us as soon as he has finished his engineering degree. I think Georgia just wants to go to college so will look into this for her but she is in to performing arts (her dramatics are amazing lol) . Our negotiation with Georgia is that once she reaches 18 if she is not happy she can return back to the UK but she has to give it a go. she really enjoyed it last time, i let her down tying to please everyone else this is what spurs me on, i know in my heart and my head this is the best move for my family. good luck with everything.

Not thought about Bram going straight to college. He too is in to his art, his is music though and he wants to be a session musician (well this week anyhow!!), he also writes songs. Are you planning to return to the area where you were last time? I wish we could afford to go out for a reccie but we can't, so it will be a huge leap into the unknown. I imagine that the application process has changed since your last move? I couldn't believe the amount of info required!! we are hoping to be appointed a case officer in the next couple of weeks, and then go for our medicals and police checks.

Good luck to you too and who knows we may be on the same flight!!!! maybe Georgia and Bram could meet up and hang out if we end up near each other.

p.s it is very encouraging to us as newwie migrants that you want to go back, it proves it will all be worth it, so thanks for posting

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MandiMR2

So the location of those interested so far are Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds & myself in Lincoln, any suggestions for a central-ish location that's fair for all travellers?

How about the M18 / M180 services at Doncaster? It's a big place & easy to get to??

Dates wise, please post your suggestions. I was thinking October? I can do any day from the 6th. I'm away in Canada for the whole of November.

Mandi x

Guest Rachael M Bowen
So the location of those interested so far are Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds & myself in Lincoln, any suggestions for a central-ish location that's fair for all travellers?

How about the M18 / M180 services at Doncaster? It's a big place & easy to get to??

Dates wise, please post your suggestions. I was thinking October? I can do any day from the 6th. I'm away in Canada for the whole of November.

Mandi x

Hi we can do Oct, 12th, 13th, 26th,27th, these are the dates that my son Bram will also be with us. Is anyone else bringing children? and any teenagers?

Hi Mandi , Doncaster and any date in October is fine , I will bring Georgia also who is 15 years and my 3 year old (oh and my OH) . Will be great to meet everyone, there are so many changes to applying for a visa year on year,at least I know I will be on the right lines after this meet.