Leeds Utd,marching On Together

soccer65

Hi, i am a big Leeds Utd fan who when arrive in Oz early next year will miss going to watch.Can you let me know what its like watching Adelaide Utd or its better to get to know the rules for Aussie Rules Football.My lad Sam who is 12 is a very keen footballer and not been biased is the best player in h,is local team,whats the junior football set up like in Adelaide,do they play in leagues or is just friendly matches,and how do you get to join a local junior team.

Cheers Steve 43(extruder operator)

Lisa 33(neonatal nurse)

Sam 12

Georgia 9

Hi Steve, Lisa & Family,

Why just restrict yourself to one sport, we watch all of them and although we still follow our UK team we have adopted teams from both the AFL and the Soccer League.

There are plenty of soccer teams (sorry have to get in with the lingo over here now, football normally to you and I) either within the school and also in local leagues.

We are in Hallett Cove and my OH is the coach for one of the school teams and also the local league team. As far as I'm led to believe this is the case with most if not all areas in Adelaide, so I don't think your son will be stuck, especially if he is as good as you say! My OH would bite your arm off for him to play in the team at the moment, only one thing though he is under 10's. There are a variety of teams within varying age groups, so I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Good luck, I'm sure you will support and find the team of your choice.

Guest jill wright
Hi, i am a big Leeds Utd fan who when arrive in Oz early next year will miss going to watch.Can you let me know what its like watching Adelaide Utd or its better to get to know the rules for Aussie Rules Football.My lad Sam who is 12 is a very keen footballer and not been biased is the best player in h,is local team,whats the junior football set up like in Adelaide,do they play in leagues or is just friendly matches,and how do you get to join a local junior team.

Hi my hubby is also a very keen Leeds fan and before the kids came along went to every home and away game .I am interested to read your replies as we aim to be out there late this year early next too . Our son is also 12 and as played for Ossett Town since being five and also his in school team (Ossett Comp). He plays for Ossett town under 12's and they are in Garforth league. What team is your son in.

Hope there's plenty of football out there cos its all footie in our house,Thomas as started playing now for the under 7's (got his first goal Saturday)

Jill

Guest Django
Hi, i am a big Leeds Utd fan

Hi my hubby is also a very keen Leeds fan

I'm surprised you haven't fled the country years ago.:P:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

The thing I think will be strange is when we all start following Adelaide and therefore no one to throw banter at. :unsure:

Pete

Hi Jill

Same with me was a season ticket holder at Leeds untill got married and the kids came along.Take Sam down to Elland Road when we have some spare money,its a expensive thing to do every home match.Sam plays for the Kippax Athletic U13s in the Garforth Junior League,his best position is holding midfield but the team has lost a lot of players this season and he has had to play in the centre of the defence and try and help them stay up before we leave.Player of the year 06/07 & 07/08 weas well deserved.Have played at Osset a couple of years ago when the team was in Div 1 thats when they did have a good team,now stuck in Div 2.

Got surveyor coming at twelve to check over house for sale to go through,touch wood everything OK.Keep in touch with your own progress

All the best Steven

Guest Django
Pete that's what Victoria is for.

I hear what you are saying Rachel but they don't 'live amongst us' as much as over here if you get me. I have a Fulham supporter lives one side of me, a Liverpool fan the other side and my next nearest neighbour is a mmmm, a mmmmmm a mmmmmaaaa, a mmmmmmaaan sorry can't say it but they play in red and he supports them. :D

I'm gonna miss all that. Especially as after years of being a club that has to sell their best players to stay in business and therefore winning nothing. We are now, thanks to our new owners, the richest club in the country. The only way is up and I'm gonna be on the other side of the planet so won't be able to rub my neighbours noses in it. :sad::biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Pete

Guest Nick11

Lisa 33(neonatal nurse)

Sam 12

Georgia 9

Hubby is a forest supporter (no jokes)!!

You can watch your team on premium tv through subscription on your computer - cost about 40 quid a year. Be warned though you need broadband to do this.

Guest jill wright
I'm surprised you haven't fled the country years ago.:biglaugh:

The thing I think will be strange is when we all start following Adelaide and therefore no one to throw banter at. :unsure:

Pete

Pete I'm not rising to your bait this week already had a ticking off from Libby and want to go on those ladies days out when I get over there!!. :notworthy:As for supporting Adelaide Phil would watch two dogs in a park playing footie so will be no problem to him watching Adelaide.

P.S. Leeds will hammer Huddersfield in the local Derby tonight

Jill& Phil

Guest jill wright
Hi Jill

Same with me was a season ticket holder at Leeds untill got married and the kids came along.Take Sam down to Elland Road when we have some spare money,its a expensive thing to do every home match.Sam plays for the Kippax Athletic U13s in the Garforth Junior League,his best position is holding midfield but the team has lost a lot of players this season and he has had to play in the centre of the defence and try and help them stay up before we leave.Player of the year 06/07 & 07/08 weas well deserved.Have played at Osset a couple of years ago when the team was in Div 1 thats when they did have a good team,now stuck in Div 2.

Got surveyor coming at twelve to check over house for sale to go through,touch wood everything OK.Keep in touch with your own progress

Will do

What visa you going on we're going on sir 475 and Phils a Baker which is on modl list so hopefully won't take long. just applied and gonna put house straight on market. By the way You should have come to the yorkshire meet it was good.

Daniel is also very good at football winning a major award every year at presentation night ie players player,supporters player,managers player and like you we want him to keep it up in Oz (and Thomas (7)too)

keep us uptodate with your progress

The Wrights(yooooooorkshire)

Hi Andy

Just read your post, we are 1/4 way through the process and my OT is a Leeds fan and will miss his footie but sure he can access what he needs via the internet. My question is we are avid Rugby League fans and follow both UK and Australian leagues. I know we will be able to see more games via Foxtel over there, but can you tell me are there many local teams around as i know my OT will be interested in coaching youth teams again and all the major rugby teams are down the East Coast and not found any in SA.

Thanks

Andi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest isandev

Lisa 33(neonatal nurse)

Sam 12

Georgia 9

Hiya mate,

Are you going to the Gillingham game next week?? Just got tickets for me and the lad, £56 the robbing *******:realmad:. If everything goes to plan with the appeal it might be automatic promotion!!!!!!:jiggy:

Gavin

Guest paul_smart

Hi Steve,

I was honoured enough to watch the first ever game played as Adelaide united after the two Adelaide teams amalgamated, it was bad first division stuff, but I managed to get on TV that day celebrating Adelaide united's first ever goal. to be fair i'm a charlton fan and it has been a damn site worse watching them this seaon than United, my main problem was after years of taunting Man U fans that they only lived around the corner I couldn't bring myself to chant "United" it went so far against the grain.

They have improved quite a lot over the last few years and the games are normally packed with ex-pats trying to get their football fix, sadly the Ozzies use a meaningless word made up by the Americans to describe our wonderful game some thing called a soccer? maybe has something to do with socks?

Guest gilmoresoz

Hello

We have just recently joined the community having found this by accident. Noticed your communication and felt compelled to reply. I am a mad Leeds Utd fan, living in Wortley, Leeds I can see the hallowed ground from my garden!!. My wife is Australian from Adelaide. We went back last year and decided that Adelaide was for us. I was recently granted my spouse visa and we should be in Adelaide by September this year. Regarding Adelaide Utd we went to watch a match whilst there last year, against local rivals Melbourne. 12,000 sell out, entertaining to watch, good night for families, good ground, £7.00 entrance fee for adults. Have been watching Aussie rules on Eurosport, I'm supporting the Crows (better kit than Port Adelaide).

Are you from Leeds yourself? (Marching on together).

Darren and Fiona

Hi, thankyou for your reply, we currently live in Kippax the other side of Leeds, hopefully will be able to make wembley and should be out in Adelaide in February 09, wife starts work in March at the womens and childrens hospital , bit confused at where we want to reside, which part of Adelaide will you be living, any advise would be welcome, dont want to live anywhere dodgy, Will continue to keep an eye on your progress, good luck with everything

Steve & Lisa

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Hiya, im 16 and looking maybe for an under 18's football (soccer) team. Wondering how many are out in adelaide and what is the quality of play??

I also hear that Adelaide United dont have a youth programme, is that true??

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gilmoresoz
Hi, thankyou for your reply, we currently live in Kippax the other side of Leeds, hopefully will be able to make wembley and should be out in Adelaide in February 09, wife starts work in March at the womens and childrens hospital , bit confused at where we want to reside, which part of Adelaide will you be living, any advise would be welcome, dont want to live anywhere dodgy, Will continue to keep an eye on your progress, good luck with everything

Steve & Lisa

Hi Guys

We are hoping to rent a furnished apartment in Norwood (3 km from the City) for 12 months while we decide on our future in Adelaide and because the housing market is so flat here in the UK at the moment. We have decided to rent out our house because of the way the market is at the moment. Last year whilst in Adelaide we got chatting to some locals and they said that Norwood, Mile End were ok. Glenelg is beautiful & on the coast but can be pricey. The South Australia Government organise a meet & greet service and can organise accommodation to suit your needs and price range. You can stay in the accommodation for 3 months and they also organise social events etc. The SA website is www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/index.php if you scroll right down to the bottom, you will find the sitemap, click on this link and then scroll down the page to Services and you will find all the things they offer that we have mentioned above.

Have you been to the Expo-Australia at the Royal Armouries in Leeds?

We went earliar this year & found it very useful. The SA stand and the talk they did was very informative. There is also a Pensions stand, Yorkshire Bank/National Australia Bank & Careers stand. There is another Expo at the RA, Leeds on Sat 18/10/08 & Sun 19/10/08. You only need to attend on one of the days. It was £12 pre book or £15 on the door on the day. The website is www.expo-australia.com

Have you checked out www.adelaidebound.com they have live webcams & lots of information etc.

Hope this helps you with your move to Australia. (Sorry for the slow reply but we have been busy decorating the house and computer has been out of action). Everything is looking good for us for the big move in September 08. icon14.gif

Marching on together to Wembley next Sunday.:)

Keep in touch

Darren & Fiona :cute:

Guest gilmoresoz

Steve & Lisa

Hi Guys

We are hoping to rent a furnished apartment in Norwood (3 km from the City) for 12 months while we decide on our future in Adelaide and because the housing market is so flat here in the UK at the moment. We have decided to rent out our house because of the way the market is at the moment. Last year whilst in Adelaide we got chatting to some locals and they said that Norwood, Mile End were ok. Glenelg is beautiful & on the coast but can be pricey. The South Australia Government organise a meet & greet service and can organise accommodation to suit your needs and price range. You can stay in the accommodation for 3 months and they also organise social events etc. The SA website is www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/index.php if you scroll right down to the bottom, you will find the sitemap, click on this link and then scroll down the page to Services and you will find all the things they offer that we have mentioned above.

Have you been to the Expo-Australia at the Royal Armouries in Leeds?

We went earliar this year & found it very useful. The SA stand and the talk they did was very informative. There is also a Pensions stand, Yorkshire Bank/National Australia Bank & Careers stand. There is another Expo at the RA, Leeds on Sat 18/10/08 & Sun 19/10/08. You only need to attend on one of the days. It was £12 pre book or £15 on the door on the day. The website is www.expo-australia.com

Have you checked out www.adelaidebound.com they have live webcams & lots of information etc.

Hope this helps you with your move to Australia. (Sorry for the slow reply but we have been busy decorating the house and computer has been out of action). Everything is looking good for us for the big move in September 08. icon14.gif

Marching on together to Wembley next Sunday.:)

Keep in touch

Darren & Fiona :cute: