McLaren Value - Lunch / wine tasting suggestions?

Robbiep

Hi guys,

I have my Mum and brother coming for a visit in the coming weeks and we looking at having a lunch / wine tasting in McLaren Vale.

A colleague of mine recommended Darenberg for lunch / wine tasting.

Would that be a good choice to show visitors or are there any other great wineries you guys could recommend?

Cheers,

Robbie

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Robbie!

We recently hired a minibus and spent the day down there (hic!)

We would definatly recommend Fox Creek wines, they do not have an actual restaurant (they do cheese platers) But they are more than happy for you to take your own picnic to eat in their lovey grounds. The staff were just lovely even tho we were a roudy group of 12! Oh and the wines are lovely too!

They don't make wine in McLaren Vale - just vinegar. The real stuff is up here in the Barossa :biggrin:

Not sure about the wine or food but the views from Anderson Hill Wines are very good. Ben Anderson does sell some grapes to Penfolds so his own wine should be OK. I see the cellar door when I do mountain biking at Fox Creek and always think what a great place to spend an afternoon - http://www.andersonhill.com.au

Loads of lunch options. d'Arenberg is at the pricier and more formal end of the scale. For mid range look at Ekhidna (mixed tapas style sharing plates), pizzas and cheese platters etc at Settlement (lovely views) or platters at lots of places (Tapestry does a good platter, as does Coriole).

My fave McLaren Vale wineries are d'Arenberg (as one big winery stop - but it's not massive like Jacob's Creek), Samuel's Gorge for small and eclectic, Alpha Box and Dice for some really interesting varietals (don't go here if you're not really into wine or just after eg a moscato/sauv blanc), Olivers Taranga (great everything, medium sized, lovely cellar door experience) and Coriole for beautiful English style cottage gardens and interesting Italian style wines. They are my staple five for taking overseas/interstate visitors - a bit of everything.

Well.. the reason for choosing one winery (at this stage) is due to the fact that we getting a babysitter for 2-3 hours, so we dont have the luxury of spending the whole day going to various wineries.

I guess we could take the kids (1 and 3) with and make a day of it at various wineries..

We've had some really nice shared platters at Woodstock - nowhere near as pricey as the restaurant and there is a kids play area plus a mini wildlife park alongside from memory. Don't forget there are also some lovely wineries in the Hills too - The Lane is one of my recent favourites, and Barretts is nice too - again, great platters. Cherry picking season is on us as well, so if you did the hills you could combine your winery with a bit of cherry picking to take home! Or buy ready picked...

Yangoora Estate is also another lovely hills winery http://foodandwineraves.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/yangoora-estate-winery-lenswood-in-the-adelaide-hills/ fantastic pizzas there, really friendly staff (lovely dog!) and awesome views.

D'Arenberg is Great for the wine and amazing for the food if you can afford it.

Angove is pretty good - they do platters and pizza

Pennys Hill just won best cellar Door restaurant in Aus and has great wine

fox Creek is well worth a visit

Wirra Wirra has a BBQ area and outstanding wine/views etc (if you there then also visit Goodiesons brewery just round the corner)

Samuels Gorge has amazing views and is pretty quirky but nice wine

Chapel Hill - nice wine and views and next door to Samuels Gorge so could be worth visiting both.

Maxwells - good everything

Echidna - try their 'half and half' beer - good food and the wine is OK

Plenty more that are well worth visiting too but that should keep you going

NWM

After all the great suggestions we have decided to "make a day of it" and visit a number of wineries.. instead of doing the one big expensive visit to D'Arenberg... the money can used to buy plenty of wine at other wineries :)

We will take the kids along, so will try visit a few wineries that allow you to bring your own food for a picnic / bbq :)

So far we have planned the below..

1: Blessed Cheese - Get some cheese and freshly baked bread in the area

2: Fox Creek - picnic / brunch / share a bottle of wine

3: Cellar Doors (Gemtree, Goodiespon Brewery, Penny Hill)

4: Late lunch BBQ at Maximus OR Wirra Wirra

5: Cellar doors (Samuels Gorge,Chapel Hill)

Any preferences for a lunch time BBQ? Maximus OR Wirra Wirra?

Should make for a good day out:)

Guest Claire-n-tel
So far we have planned the below..

1: Blessed Cheese - Get some cheese and freshly baked bread in the area

2: Fox Creek - picnic / brunch / share a bottle of wine

3: Cellar Doors (Gemtree, Goodiespon Brewery, Penny Hill)

4: Late lunch BBQ at Maximus OR Wirra Wirra

5: Cellar doors (Samuels Gorge,Chapel Hill)

Any preferences for a lunch time BBQ? Maximus OR Wirra Wirra?

Should make for a good day out:)

Room for a couple more?! :wink: