gym memberships in CBD

TonyD

With my gym memership in the UK now finished I need to be looking at where I will be doing my daily workout when we arrive. As I'll be working on the New Royal Adelaide Hospital project it needs to be in the CBD so I am looking for a place that opens early (6am) and isnt full of posers! any reccomendations or anyone aware of deals to be had? I know in the UK a lot of gyms offer deals at this time of year.

Thanks

TD

It's something like $18 a week for the membership which covers all the different gyms. They have offers on all the time though, like a month free, so it ends up working out less.

And yes, most things are more expensive here I'm afraid. I got a shock coming from Manchester prices too. I'm used to it now, and it is getting cheaper, but yer, it can be a shock.

EFM used to advertise that they have "no mirrors". They have a deal on for $30 for 30 days but I think that is only an introductory rate. They seem to have a few in the city. With some gym membership your get a certain % off if you have take out separate health cover (not medicare).

Hi Tony

I know you are looking for gyms in the CBD, but you mentioned in another thread you will be staying at Brompton, so another option in North Adelaide just outside of the CBD is the Adelaide Aquatic Centre (run by Adelaide City Council)...if you were driving to work there is parking at the Aquatic Centre and from there to the new RAH would be approx. 10 mins.

http://adelaideaquaticcentre.com.au/

Hi Tony

I know you are looking for gyms in the CBD, but you mentioned in another thread you will be staying at Brompton, so another option in North Adelaide just outside of the CBD is the Adelaide Aquatic Centre (run by Adelaide City Council)...if you were driving to work there is parking at the Aquatic Centre and from there to the new RAH would be approx. 10 mins.

I've been there once, about three years ago. The place was so run down. There were tiles falling off the side of the pool! One area was cordoned off it was that bad. I've never been back, even though I drive past it every day.

Maybe in the past 3 years they have refurbished it, I have been going swimming most weeks for approx. the past 12 months, so can't comment on what it was like before that. At the end of the day it is a council run facility so it is not going to be all singing all dancing like Next Gen, but then the prices will reflect that. Just another option for Tony as he mentioned he currently uses a council run facility in the UK.

Hi Tony

Casual price for the gym is $20 per visit or aquatic centre membership works out at $70 per month. Would struggle to find anything much cheaper I reckon.

Have a look at Jetts, they have one in the CBD already and are opening up another one pretty soon (on top of the 24/7 gas station on Pulteney street)

They seem to be a no-frills operation, 24/7 access but only limited staffing and seemingly cheap (they state 12$ a week on their homepage). Can't comment on well maintained the facilities are or what crowds show up, since I have never been to one.

Guest Guest12727

You could try the gym at UniSA, City East campus. The other end of North Tce from the new RAH, near the old RAH.

It could suit your requirements, opens at 6am, has no frills and reasonable price. General public fee is $65 per month, $115 for 3months and cheaper if you pay for 6 or 12 months. You also can use the pool at Magill Campus, 15min drive east of the CBD

http://www.unisa.edu.au/health-sciences/services/health-clinics/health-and-fitness-centres/