Hello - meet up anyone ??

speedygixer

Hi Emma can I ask how yours kids are settling in. My girls are the same age at the moment as yours. We plan to move in a year so girls will be 5 & 9. I'm anxious about how easy it is for them to settle in to a different lifestyle and going to a new school. Thanks niccy

I'm not speedy but I thought I'd post a reply :)

Try not to worry overly about the whole school change and settling in. I know its easy to overthink (I did this long before we moved when it was still just us chewing things over) but once you are here and can look round schools, see what appeals and so on I'm sure things will fall in to place.

My main thing with ours was that if he wasn't happy, I wasn't going to be happy and I was going to do my utmost to ensure he settled well and we placed him in a school we had total confidence in. However, in the early months we were living in Glenelg and I really didn't like the primary there so we went further afield (thankfully to a non zoned school). But we knew that living in Glenelg was never a long term option though we did toy with it for a couple of months after we arrived but the longer we were there, the more we knew it wasn't for us. So we bought elsewhere, upped sticks, changed schools and have not looked back.

I think a lot will depend on your kids, how they cope with change, if they are more outgoing and confident it can perhaps be easier than if shy or not so sure about things. We were honest with our son from the off when we knew we were not staying in the area and said wherever we ended up we'd be looking at the schools there for him and he would be able to go try them out and have a say. He went to the one we liked best, visited it twice for half days, loved it and was more than happy to move. He did often say he was good at making friends as he'd made friends at his school in England, friends at his first school here and that he was sure he'd make friends at his new school. It was very sweet to hear him but I did still worry a bit but tried not to overthink it. We ensured we kept in touch with the 4 kids he'd become good friends with at his first school, played footy at the same club as them again this season and arranged playdates. And the friendships endure.

His new school he loves, has some great mates and we feel much more confident about it, its a great school and is far more what we wanted for him. I've (well, we've) made time for playdates, trips out, birthday parties and sports so he can build those friendships.

I recall you are looking at MaClaren Vale and Willunga so keep in mind your state and private school options are more limited than if you were closer to Adelaide. Its a lovely area but you may not feel the schools are what you want in the long term. I don't know them personally so can't comment.

I think my son those early weeks, he was just so enjoying hitting the beach in the evening, seeing new things, making new friends, having new games to play, it was all a bit of a whirlwind and novelty and he didn't have time to miss his mates in England or hanker after things we had left behind. And thankfully, once those early weeks had passed, he was so happy and content none of the things I'd wondered about as being a possible problem ever came up.

I don't think its such a big shock to them changing primary to primary. It was hard on occasion getting my head round some of the differences in the education system but it wasn't anything my son really struggled with (other than cursive writing not being taught in the younger years). It was things I noticed but now, 2 years in its all familiar and I am used to it and don't bat an eyelid anymore. None of it was terrible to begin with either, just differences and the more laid back approach here in primary. But I really love that now and much prefer it over the English system.

I've known other kids from overseas arrive at the school since we moved to it. They are all doing well, seem happy and the parents also. Same for the Aus kids transferring in from other schools.

You'll find your way I am sure. Keep positive, go visit the schools in the areas you like, if you are not so keen on those you may want to rethink and cast your net elsewhere to find a place to live. Those early months, it can take time to know and find what is right for you all. Don't be afraid to make changes if you think its in the best interests of your family. Even if that is a year or two after you migrate here. I know a few migrants who moved areas, changed schools and so on once they were settled and had had time to work out where they wanted/needed to be and so on.

Hi niccy both my children found it exciting like a big holiday they love it!! They do moan about not seeing the snow anymore tho haha my oldest didn't get off to well in his school but moved him and we have seen a big improvement also loves school.. They do speak about family and friends but have made so many new buddies at school! I think it's the best thing for all of us so much more outdoors for them! Think it all depends on the child.. Hope the move goes well for you guys and let me no when your here I'll catch you for a coffee xx

Hi niccy both my children found it exciting like a big holiday they love it!! They do moan about not seeing the snow anymore tho haha my oldest didn't get off to well in his school but moved him and we have seen a big improvement also loves school.. They do speak about family and friends but have made so many new buddies at school! I think it's the best thing for all of us so much more outdoors for them! Think it all depends on the child.. Hope the move goes well for you guys and let me no when your here I'll catch you for a coffee xx

Thanks for your reply. Will definately give you a shout when we arrive,I think the sooner the girls settle the sooner i will.

Thanks snifter I have a tendency to over think situations but your right if we can settle the girls it will be easier all round...... Just want this to work for us as a family.***

I think if things go well for the kids, we feel alot happier about things. Its us that decided to move them round the world so of course we want them to be happy and like it :)

Keep positive, expect there will be bumps and be prepared (no one can predict what they may be of course, no crystal ball :cute: ) but at least realising some things may not go to plan for whatever reason will have you ready to address things as they crop up.

Kids often see things in a far more simple manner than us. Our son was very much like that and didn't over think the actual move or the whole new school thing. We got him his uniform for his first school here I remember, he chose what colour top he wanted (they had blue or yellow to pick from) and loved he got a hat to wear. He was very excited but also a bit nervous. We made sure we talked about how he felt, how he found that day and settling in. It also helped they gave him 2 kids as buddies when he started school, to help show him round and so he had someone to hang out with those early days till he forged his own friendships.

I think it was a couple of weeks in when I realised we'd be ok. And sure we've had the odd thing since then to do with school but its never been something we could not overcome or because he was unhappy there or not happy living here. Its just school stuff and could happen anywhere.

It's good to hear other people's experience. Our girls talk about moving all the time but not sure they understand the enormity of it all. As you say time will tell. Xx

I think at their ages, the enormity of it won't really dawn on them much. Much like the distance, which perhaps younger kids won't grasp even after 24 hours on a plane lol. It was once we were here when our son got frustrated with Skyping his mate in England one time and said it was boring and he would rather go round his house and play, then we said it wasn't possible, not even on a weekend or in a few months, because it was that far away. But that he would see him again when we went on holiday but would have to make do with Skype and letters till then. He was ok with it but the Skype thing became an issue with him and he lost interest in it for a while. Plus as time went on he made new friends and interests here, got more involved and the upset of it all passed. Fast forward a year or so and we had a lovely holiday back in England and he caught up with his mate, not just for a play date but for 5 whole days! They had a fab time. But son was also fine to leave and head home to Aus to see his mates back here.

Now, its more Aus mates than UK which is how I prefer it. UK mates are a holiday thing, try to keep in touch as much as possible but living life, things move on so I accept things may peter out a bit, but hope we can continue to keep in touch.