Anyone going to the Royal Adelaide Show?

Moosh

Guest Libby1971

We went last year and didn't spend anything close to that...we must be really miserly.

OH is taking the girls on Monday...the school has a show day. For those not in the know, the RAS is very popular and each school gets a show day, a day off so the kids can go. It is meant to help cut down on absentees. Our school won't give a day off so I can't go this year.

Meet them after school Libby, there's still much to see and do in the evening. My son's school started giving them a show day, but in their wisdom felt that the last Friday of the show was a good day! Of course teenagers are not going to wait until the day before the show closes to go are they so they still had absentees! We all laughed our heads off when the school stated they were disappointed with the no. of absentees during show week. A tad out of touch with the school population I say. They never used to give show days either.

In my youthful days when we only had 3 terms a year the show wasin the school hols.

Don't be put off by this and pre buy your tickets so you don't have to queue. It's a geat aussie tradition to go to the show, It's not just about spending big, the country people camp out with their live stock so it is good to walk through all the cattle sheds, Sheep sheds and watch the shearing, look at the grains and fruit. The fruit that is sold there is usually very fresh and cheap. The show is not just about the fairground. Watch the wood chopping, see the pig racing/diving . Go to the Taste SA tent and pig out on the food n wine. Send your kids through the guide and scout areas, there are usually fun things to do that are free.

Go and look at the silky bantams and other weird looking fowl that take themselves seriously even though they have big growths on their heads.

Check out the dogs and cats on show for the day.

Watch some show jumping in the arena, sometimes there are really little kids competing, I love how when they fall off they just lie there until someone picks them up.

Go on a few rides, eat some dodgy food, hot doughnuts, TRY A DAGWOOD DOG,

Buy a show bag. Win a lump of plastic on the laughing clowns

Go on the Ferris wheel after dark.

Then settle down in the stands at the arena to watch the stunt cars, the stunt motorbikes until the 9pm fireworks.

Sore feet, tiredness, but memories have been made and you don't need to spend $350 to have a good time. We go every yr.

Guest Aussie pat
Hi,

We are going tomorrow, apparantly theres $5 off a family ticket because its Fathers Day. Kids have already chosen their showbags and are now counting out their pennies (or should I say cents) to spend on the fair.

Wendy

I can remember when the showbags were 20 cents each. My Dad could remember when they were free. We used to try to eat all the contents until we felt sick as kids. Originally they were full of samples of the products of various food suppliers such as Farmers Union, Hoadley etc. Like Rach all my best memories are of the agricultural and display aspects of the show rather than the expensive fairground. You'll still have a great time as a family if you focus more on the freebies on offer. Can't wait til next year when we can go again!

Hedy

Guest Aussie pat

Thought I'd tack this as an add on to my previous note. For all of those romanticizing the UK today I hope the following makes you feel better....

It's our local agricultural show today in the Cotswolds (Moreton in Marsh) and we aren't going. Why? Because the weather is terrible and we have got tired of eating soggy hot dogs and walking around in the rain year after year. It's such a lovely day out when it doesn't rain. Can't remember the last time it didn't though! Hope everyone enjoys the Royal Adelaide Show.

We went to the show, and thats the first and last time we go. It was horrendously packed and everyone is obseesed by these showbags which contain tat to be honest. (although i did manage to fight my way through to get a thomas the tank one :biglaugh:).

Good for the kids, expensive if they are older, and that was the smallest loop rollercoaster ive ever seen, made me laugh that people were taking pictures of it :biglaugh:.

We are going on Friday, kids got day off school. I am looking forward to it. Have been told by lots of aussies to grab a locker if you go early to dump all your things in.

I can't wait and the weather is suppose to be great.

Guest Aussie pat
We went to the show, and thats the first and last time we go. It was horrendously packed and everyone is obseesed by these showbags which contain tat to be honest. (although i did manage to fight my way through to get a thomas the tank one :biglaugh:).

Good for the kids, expensive if they are older, and that was the smallest loop rollercoaster ive ever seen, made me laugh that people were taking pictures of it :biglaugh:.

Hi Clare,

I agree with you about the showbags. They used to be really great and very affordable and as I said earlier were used to promote food products. It's such a shame that the tat side of things has taken over as so often happens these days.

Hedy

Hi Clare,

I agree with you about the showbags. They used to be really great and very affordable and as I said earlier were used to promote food products. It's such a shame that the tat side of things has taken over as so often happens these days.

Hedy

It was a shame really, it would have been a good day out, as alex loved the animals there should have been more that side of it really. We gave up walking around the pavillions as it was jam packed especially when the rain started falling. It did sort of make me realise that Adelaide really is a small place:cute:

Guest Aussie pat

I used to like looking at the cake decorating and vegetable exhibits. I know I probably sound a bit like strange but I like the agricultural shows in the UK for the same reason. It must be genetic as both my kids love it too.

When I was single (and less decrepit) some of my girlfriends had farming connections and we would go and visit the young farmers who were camping out at the Adelaide Show Grounds with their animals. It was great socially. Sadly I never married one of them, got stuck with a Pom instead!

Hedy