• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moving alone!

stephb

moving alone!

hi all, i just joined the site today and have only been browsing for a short while. it feels reassuring seeing all these posts from people either planning the move or already there :)
      but of the few ive read all seem to be couples and families, so i thought id put a thread out for anyone who may be going it alone like me! obviously the family/couple posts still have quite a lot of relevance but it would be nice to hear from others who are doing this without that companionship (or extra responsibility, depending on how you look at it!);)
      My original plan was to get there around September, but various visa issues slowing me down so now aiming for early 2008! (bit more time to save at least...!). I have been planning this for a while, but have ongoing guilt about leaving my family (mum, dad and sister) behind. im not sure my mum can quite get her head round it. but i figured it would still be worse not to try- i wish my parents had!
      Steph

dglamoore
      Hi Steph

Welcome to PIA. Can't help with the single question as I fall into the extra responsibilty catagory :o. I have read of others coming here alone and everyone is so friendly over here I am sure you will have no trouble meeting up with others.

Lisa

Title
      Liked
      420 times
      Rep
      Hi Steph,

Welcome. What part of the big smoke are you from? I'm originally from 'The Bush'. Like Lisa I'm not alone when I travel over but had to say hi to a fellow Londoner. ;)

Pete

Keel

Good Luck

Hi stephb and a big welcome to the forum.Sadly im going with my other half so cant help with the single thing.Im not sad im going with them obviously but you know what i mean.Nearly everyone one the forums i go on are familys so we do feel kinda alone sometimes.Im full of admiration for you though for taking that step especially alone.you wont fell alone on here though.People are more than willing to help you.
      Good Luck

stephb

thanks!

hey all, thank you for your replies- it was very nice to get ressponses so quickly, and even if youre not singles the support is very welcome :D
      I am originally from High Barnet, Pete, but currently living down in Tooting. Feeling very keen to get out of london though and out into clean air and open space!
      Had great news today too, my state sponsorship has come through! I wasnt sure if it would as i only submitted two months of bank statements, so it is a great bonus!
      Thanks all, I feel like i have people to share with now who understand :)
      Steph

RandC
      Hi Steph welcome to the site. Great news about your sponsorship! I really admire you going it alone, I have also like Lisa read about other people going it alone. People on here are really friendly and supportive which is fantastic. Just because you're going it alone doesn't mean you won't get support and make friends through this site I'm sure.

Good luck with the next stage!

Cari :)

Title
      Liked
      101 times
      Rep
      Hi Steph

Just wanted to add my congrats :Dand welcome you to the site good luck with everything its a long road but really worth it when you get the visa

Remember you only regret the things you dont do and if you dont like it you can always come back Its so friendly out there (and on this site).

As for family and friends yes you will miss them but the world is a much smaller place and with the internet and webcams your probably talk to them more than you do already. As we have told a lot of our friends "Your not losing a friend your gaining a holiday destination!!!"

Good luck
      Kim x

happy-jools
      Hi Steph. Welcome to PIA.

Your going it alone. Lucky you Id say. I wanted to do this when I was 19, (a long time ago) and in meantime met my now hubby. Hopefully its all worked out in the end tho, as were hoping to be there early 2008. Just a few years later than planned.

Good luck tho.

Aussiebound
      Congratulations on the state sponsorship. Hope the rest of the application goes well for you. Sure you'll settle in fine on your own - better to go, try and make a better life and come back if it doesn;t work than not to try at all and always wonder 'what if?' - thats the way we look at it!

Title
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      Hi Steph
      I'm a fellow solo traveller ... i've just started the process and don't plan to go til next summer although i don't know if i can stand the wait. obviously thats if all goes to plan and i get my visa! I'm also a londoner a heart, but live in Kent now.
      well done on the sponsorship ... i'm being sponsored by family so don't have that hurdle to jump over.
      Ails ..

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums