4th February Expats in Adelaide meet up

suzer

Guest mebourne

Are not-yet-expats invited?

Myself + wife + boys aged 1 and just-3 (4th Feb is his birthday!) are visiting Adelaide and Melbourne for a reccie and to activate the 175. It would be really great to meet up with people who've already made the move for a chat and some local advice.

Are children allowed in at this venue? Also we actually land the morning of the 4th after an overnight from Singapore, so maybe I'm hoping for too much - although if we're still awake the boys can crash in the pushchair.

Guest Curry Lover

We'd love to come to have the opportunity to meet people but unfortunately have no babysitter for our 2 year old as we still don't know anybody here! Catch 22 or what?! Do you ever organise any more family orientated meet ups? If so we'd love to know where and when.

If I have the time at some point in the future, it would be nice to organise a beach bbq or something but right now it is more of an adults only atmosphere. Sorry, I know it can be difficult coming to a new place and finding a sitter, but at the moment it's only once monthly pub meets. There are PIA meetups which are child friendly though.

Guest mebourne
Not sure it would be the best venue for children as it is at a pub but I'd hate to have you miss out on meeting people. You might be very jetlagged though!

Couldn't see from the website if they allow children. We'll be in Glenelg so not far away, I guess we'll just play it by ear.

Sorry I truly don't mean to sound unwelcoming, but there are a few people who come who have children and it's more of an adult atmosphere/type of event, so they tend to leave them with a sitter/at home, although I do appreciate your situation. I'm sure at some point we can manage to organise something that is family friendly and there are things on here as well. Perhaps you could start a thread to organise something for when you are here? It would be good if you could meet some people and get some ideas etc.

Guest mebourne
Sorry I truly don't mean to sound unwelcoming

Oh no problem, I didn't take it that way at all. It was a long shot anyway given the timing etc. I'll look for some playgroups to take the boys to, probably more suitable and hopefully we'll meet people there.

Guest sue-in-oz

Hiya,

Andy and I would love to come so will see you there on the 4th!!! Only moved over two weeks ago so will be good to meet some new people!

See you then!:jiggy:

Yes, so much for newcomers - only those without children though, eh? I have 3 kids so no, you won't be seeing me there, or at any of them because I prefer the family scene not the throwing your car keys in the pot scene.

Carla, please keep in mind this is something I organise in my own time, aside from PIA, with no agenda other than for people to meet each other, and I mention it here for anyone who is interested. We have a nice group of people who meet up, many of whom have children, and always welcome newcomers. It has been an effort to find a venue that will actually allow me to reserve a room for this group without having to pay. As the group is constantly growing, I put a fair amount of effort into it. You're more than welcome to come and meet other singles, couples and parents, and if we ever have additional activities, they might include children, but at the moment that's not practical or possible. This is the one thing I do in Adelaide that I really, really enjoy and if I hadn't started it I'd have met almost no one here, which is huge for me since my partner is an Aussie who is not as keen as an expat partner to be constantly sussing out a new city, activities, etc. If you don't want to come, then don't, but please don't ruin the spirit of the post for others.