Brits in need of a good curry house

Guest Curry Lover

Guest Curry Lover

Hi all,

We've just joined Poms in Adelaide and are looking for recommendations on a good curry house - my husband is having withdrawal symptoms! We moved out here from Kent in September 08 and are struggling to meet people. Surprising as we've always found Australians very friendly in the past. Does anyone have any tips? Also, can anyone recommend any mother and toddler groups in the Sturt area? I've tried hard to find activities for our 2 year old son but most things seem to be closed for the summer holidays. I'd love to find some sort of music group for him and am also looking to meet other mums for a coffee and a chat. :)

Sheena-Margot, Shaun and Ryan

As regards finding a mother and toddler group, try contacting Playgroup SA. They will give you a list of all your local playgroups. I'd say come along to ours but you're a bit away! If you don't mind a bit of a drive though, you're welcome to join us at Old Cottage Playgroup, corner of Byards Road and Kenihans Road, Tuesday mornings at 11.00am. Try also to get hold of a copy of Adelaide's Child, a free magazine that's issued monthly and always has loads of ads in for kindergym, music classes and ballet schools etc. You can probably get one from the library. Good luck!

Hiya

we could recommend the ruby raja in tea tree gull north east eat in or take away the currys are superb!! As for playgroups im not so sure, we have two boys now at school but im sure one of the schools near yo could supply you with playgroups mums meetings and get togethers near you.

If you fancy a good tai - the tougue tiad resturant on henly beach road mile end is a lovely little place and always busy and the food is delicious. Worth a try if your out and about near either places. Hope you settle in well and find a good curry

Guest dunnarunna

i know this one has been suggested many times on various posts, but my hubby told an aussie at work about the balti house in goodwood, he cancelled where he was supposed to go that night and went there, now he goes there all the time.

I would defo recommend the balti house.......... its not 'posh' inside but the food is fantastic and the service is fab. Give it a try u wont be disappointed!!

Gx

Great, but where is it???? Have heard that Beyond India, O'Connel St. North is a good one as well, must try it.

Guest Fancy a Beer
The Balti House, Goodwood Road is great for curries

Great, thats an understatement, its brilliant!! :)

Having tried many Curry places since we been here it wins hands down, yet to find anywhere that even comes close to the curries they do!!

Guest Curry Lover

Hi, many thanks for all the suggestions. We have actually tried the Balti house and thought it was pretty good. Will definitely try the Tandoori Oven and Ruby Raja for comparison though.

Tongue Tiad has also been suggested to us before as a good Thai so we'll be making a visit there as well.

Re playgroups, yes I've tried Playgroup SA and Adelaide's Child - either my son is still too young or we're not in the right area, always the way, but I'll keep trying.

Many thanks to everyone for all your suggestions.

Guest Rob and Clare

The balti house is as close to an authentic curry as we've been able to find.

We've been to chefs of tandor, snake charmer, jasmines, beyond india, Spice kitchen, bombay bicycle club and some place down brighton, and whilst I can't say they were bad meals, they do not taste like a curry I know. The take away curry's in the shopping centres taste more authentic.

We are going to try the British Indian in the city as this has been recommended to us as well... Fingers crossed....

Thai restaurants are great here though, and our favourite is Thai orchid at Henley Beach and do a bit of celebrity spotting.

Guest Chichester

Hello,I am a nanny in Malvern and go to a great playgroup that starts next week on thursday. 10 to 12 at the Malvern Uniting Church. That's on Cambridge Tce, Malvern. They do the best morning tea ever and are genuinely lovely people. You should come along if you can get there, I will be the stressed nanny trying to look after 3 kiddies.:jiggy:

Guest Curry Lover
Hello,I am a nanny in Malvern and go to a great playgroup that starts next week on thursday. 10 to 12 at the Malvern Uniting Church. That's on Cambridge Tce, Malvern. They do the best morning tea ever and are genuinely lovely people. You should come along if you can get there, I will be the stressed nanny trying to look after 3 kiddies.:jiggy:

Hi, many thanks for the suggestion. Thursday would be perfect for us, the only problem is transport as I have no car during the day. Will investigate the bus timetables though and see if we can make it. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kenmcfadyen

Went to British Indian two weeks ago - it was the best curry I've ever tasted! I'm sure these things are down to personal preference though - I had curry in India and hated it!