Is it easy to make new friends?

Guest Farrows

Guest Farrows

Hi have been reading this forum site for ages and recently started posting threads. we as a family moving to Adelaide 9.9.09 just booked flights - I have 2 young boys aged 7 and 4 and larger boy aged 37!! I am very excited but also v scared and nervous about settling in and if easy to meet people and build friendships!!

Reading this forum everyone seems really friendly and chatty so hopefully this is a good sign of things to come

Look forward to hearing from anyone

Becki:goofy:

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Becki

Don't worry, people seem to build friendships quite easily. If you are prepared to put yourself out there you won't have a problem. Loads of meet ups are arranged on here for couples without children, families, girls nights out, lads nights out etc so everyone is well catered for! By "talking" to people on here you will make friends before you arrive and can look forward to meeting them when you get there. We are going at the end of this month and are looking forward to putting names to faces from the members on here! I have been chatting away to my "cyber friends" since July now.

Keep in touch and we can certainly meet up when you arrive.

Mandy

Guest the4hopes

Before I came out I was determined just to be friends with Australians!! Since I have been here most of my friends are from the UK most I have met on here, some from another forum. The australians are lively friendly helpful people, which in time I know I will have loads of Australian friends. But when you are new here its easier to relate to people in the same situation, whether they have been out here 6 months or just arrived, we all have the same problems, or questions, so there is always help and support. We are all discovering new things or places all the time and its nice to share it with each other.There are also lots of laughs!!

I wouldn't worry at all. Most people find they have a better social life here than they ever did back in the UK. There are meets going on all the time. Some are announced on he boards others by way of PMs.

In no time your boys (the younger ones:biglaugh:) will have a large circle of friends from school and pre school.

Pete

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Before I came out I was determined just to be friends with Australians!! quote]

:biglaugh:thats funny and I dont mean in a take the P or mean way!:wubclub: Most people think that, but it is hard to break into groups of people who might have known each other for years and years, we are not the token pom, if we were in the uk and an aussie came to town they would be interesting as they are few and far between but us poms are so many we are not such an interest to them!

You will make frinds though, as everyone will be the same as you, looking for friends.

sarah

Guest graandjac
Before I came out I was determined just to be friends with Australians!! Since I have been here most of my friends are from the UK most I have met on here, some from another forum. The australians are lively friendly helpful people, which in time I know I will have loads of Australian friends. But when you are new here its easier to relate to people in the same situation, whether they have been out here 6 months or just arrived, we all have the same problems, or questions, so there is always help and support. We are all discovering new things or places all the time and its nice to share it with each other.There are also lots of laughs!!

This seams to be the same for most of us , its easy to meet up with Poms in the start which will help you settle, and then although it sounds harsh some of these people you will not see so much as you will find you cant stay friends with everyone, for us it has been important to find the Best friend type relationship.....you know someone you can let in , or call whan you need to share a problem with. Dont worry about being lonely everyone is here to help.

This seams to be the same for most of us , its easy to meet up with Poms in the start which will help you settle, and then although it sounds harsh some of these people you will not see so much as you will find you cant stay friends with everyone, for us it has been important to find the Best friend type relationship.....you know someone you can let in , or call whan you need to share a problem with. Dont worry about being lonely everyone is here to help.

You will make friends if you make the effort, we have some a amazing friends whom we feel like we have known for years....IMHO opinion this makes the settling down here in Adelaide easier sharing experiences and the asking of question.....this goes for the Aussies folk too should one of them offer you the hand of friendship take it.....no matter what some people say they are nice folk....we have some great Aussie friends....

You know where we are should you need some advice etc etc.

Guest KP Nuts

Well I'm sorry to say but I'm struggling to make friends. But I don't mean on here.... but away from here, I've had all week that apart from shop people I've spoken to four people, apart from husband and kids.

Think I need to get a job very soon before I go :mad::wacko::arghh:

This is only our finding of things, but the Aussie people are great, and we have made loads of friends. The only thing is, You have to make the effort to breakdown the barriers. Like someone said, if an Aussie came into our circle of people in the UK, it is a novelty, and they would be welcomed with open arms and hospitality. Here, because there are so many overseas migrants, they tend not to make the first move. If you take the ime to make the first move, then they will open up. It can be hard, but perservere, and the friends will come. You just can't be too shy and not say anything, get out there and speak to them, and they will respond.

Guest tooeasy

it is true australians are very friendly (well most of them) i have found it easy to make friends but i always have working on building sites you have to be friendly we have made some really good friends from here and at work too

I have met some aussies that i didnt like tho same as all walks in life your not gonna like everyone you meet :D

Guest the4hopes
Well I'm sorry to say but I'm struggling to make friends. But I don't mean on here.... but away from here, I've had all week that apart from shop people I've spoken to four people, apart from husband and kids.

I know the feeling! I havent even got a car at the moment to get around and find my way on the roads.

Laura x

You can never replace your good friends from the uk, but with time and effort theres no reason not to make friends here. I think we've been lucky with the people we have met, some people we see more than others. People are nice people if they are aussie, english , polish , irish etc. I wouldnt get hung up on just making aussie friends in the beginning. Just making the effort is often enough and dont sit by the phone waiting for other people to phone, as they are often thinking the same :biglaugh:.

Guest Farrows
Hi Becki

Don't worry, people seem to build friendships quite easily. If you are prepared to put yourself out there you won't have a problem. Loads of meet ups are arranged on here for couples without children, families, girls nights out, lads nights out etc so everyone is well catered for! By "talking" to people on here you will make friends before you arrive and can look forward to meeting them when you get there. We are going at the end of this month and are looking forward to putting names to faces from the members on here! I have been chatting away to my "cyber friends" since July now.

Keep in touch and we can certainly meet up when you arrive.

Mandy

Hi Mandy would be great to keep in touch be good to know how you get on exciting month for you then bet you have so much going on how are you feeling bout the move? I Hope the move goes well will be thinking of you!!

Best wishes

Becki

Guest Farrows
You will make friends if you make the effort, we have some a amazing friends whom we feel like we have known for years....IMHO opinion this makes the settling down here in Adelaide easier sharing experiences and the asking of question.....this goes for the Aussies folk too should one of them offer you the hand of friendship take it.....no matter what some people say they are nice folk....we have some great Aussie friends....

Thank you I am sure I will be pestering you with many questions so pre- warning you !! I can sometimes be quite shy so I guess I need to practise coming out of my shell so to speak.

Thanks

Becki

Guest Farrows

Big thanks for all the replies :jiggy:

Its good to know there are people out there already to go to for advice I know i will be speaking to you more and more before we leave the Uk and hopefully be able to meet up with some of you when over there!!! I know I will find it tough to start with so be good to know some of you may be there to offer an ear, tissue, cup of tea.

Thanks Becki

Guest Guest75

So right Heaps.

You are settling so well - even in the face of adversity.

We have many Aussie friends and have accepted invitations/offers of help.

Due to all this I do feel as if I'm living in the "real"? Australia.

We have many UK friends as well - don't get me wrong.

Some have even gone "native".

- It can take a long time Beck,but so worth it.:notworthy:

Guest Tracijbc

I agree with you on this one. We (luckily) met some great folks last June through a meet up from another website and we do consider them to be good mates, but we were thrown together with the common ground of moving here. I love these people and don't get me wrong, consider them friends, but as they live quite a way from us, it's hard to meet up as I don't drive. I miss having a close mate I can just call and meet up with and so does Matt. He misses that male friendship that involves a game of darts and a couple of pints that we left behind in the UK. I know it takes years to establish strong bonds with people, and we have only been here almost a year, but these are things that make you want to go back. Today, I will also have spoken to my work colleagues and Matt and that will be it for me aside from thanking the bus driver.....sad innit!!

:unsure:

I agree with you on this one. We (luckily) met some great folks last June through a meet up from another website and we do consider them to be good mates, but we were thrown together with the common ground of moving here. I love these people and don't get me wrong, consider them friends, but as they live quite a way from us, it's hard to meet up as I don't drive. I miss having a close mate I can just call and meet up with and so does Matt. He misses that male friendship that involves a game of darts and a couple of pints that we left behind in the UK. I know it takes years to establish strong bonds with people, and we have only been here almost a year, but these are things that make you want to go back. Today, I will also have spoken to my work colleagues and Matt and that will be it for me aside from thanking the bus driver.....sad innit!!

:unsure:

We're in South Brighton, and often pop down to the Seacliffe for a few drinks, feel free to join us anytime, just along the road a wee bit.