The Irish Centre

Guest brandyslad

Guest brandyslad

Has anyone been to the Irish Social Club in Adelaide? And no we aren't trying to recreate Ireland in Oz just wondering about the cheap drinks for members. LOL. Plus my OH is thinking about joining one of Gaelic football clubs to get out and about meeting people.

Guest sandar1

Yes I have been many times. They have some fun functions there, once a month they have a barn dance (basically the same as scottish country dancing) they will get you up to join in progressive dances if you wish to learn and it is a nice family night. Quite often people will get a group together to go and take supper with them. Monday night is a night where musicians get together to play together, they are so lovely have lots of patience if you want to learn the irish whistle no embarrassment at all.

I've posted it before but you should also try out the Grace Emily hotel in the city they have on Monday nights from around 9.00 open mike night and it is free and a fun night.

The Deaf Society, South Terrace in the city has dancing classes on Monday nights cost $5, once again they are very patient with new comers, good way to learn to dance so that when you are out you know what you are doing. It isn't a very social night as such, but a great way to learn, and fun to boot. Some of us get together before we go and have dinner at the Astor Hotel on Pultney Street, great food for great price, let me know if you want to join us.

All the best, and have fun out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I have it on pretty good authority from a Scottish friend that there is a bit of a do there this Sunday at 2pm (he's one of the acts), there is also some Irish dancing he says. Tickets at the door, and the person who runs the Irish Dancing Club is a lovely lady, I know her from a long time ago.

Guest brandyslad

Sunday 2pm ... that sounds just perfect, time for lots of drinks and then home early enough to face work the next day!! Wish we could be there ... :D:D:D

Guest caoimhe
Sunday 2pm ... that sounds just perfect, time for lots of drinks and then home early enough to face work the next day!! Wish we could be there ... :D:D:D

Oh I don't know, sometimes I think it's better to be in Ireland than living it through Irish clubs. If only we had the weather and lifestyle at home:sad:

....because the SA Irish Dancing Club is a fairly regular (and strong) outfit, the lady who runs it is well known at the Irish Club and in that community group, so if you ask around, it should not be too long before there is another show.

I can also find out when my Scottish friend will be appearing next, I am sure he would love more people in the audience !

If anyone wants more information, please PM me and I'd be happy to help. (ArmchairDetective, hope you make it back soon).

....because the SA Irish Dancing Club is a fairly regular (and strong) outfit, the lady who runs it is well known at the Irish Club and in that community group, so if you ask around, it should not be too long before there is another show.

I can also find out when my Scottish friend will be appearing next, I am sure he would love more people in the audience !

If anyone wants more information, please PM me and I'd be happy to help. (ArmchairDetective, hope you make it back soon).

Thanks.

Me too:)