Port Augusta

Guest yana71

Guest yana71

Hi, we are new to poms in adelaide and new to Port Agusta! Is there anybody out there living in or near Port Augusta !! we have been here for 7 weeks now, still getting used to everything shutting early at weekends and no one out in the evenings!!. I have heard that there are a few brits in the town but they must be doing the same.... nothing!!!!!! Help!!!!!! :confused:

Cheers Joanne

Guest yana71
Why Port Augusta ?

Hi Mick

Port Augusta was the only job offer! not our first choice but foot in the door. Two years will hopefuuly go quick, unless you know anyone in telecoms in Adelaide!!!

Cheers Jo

Guest Mick and Helen

Sorry Jo I don't know anyone in telecoms, hope you dont think I was being rude, but you dont hear of to many people going there

Mick

Guest yana71
Sorry Jo I don't know anyone in telecoms, hope you dont think I was being rude, but you dont hear of to many people going there

Mick

Hi Mick

I can see why you dont hear of to many people going there!! Theres nothing to do for kids or adults, its hard work here, shops close at 12 at weekends theres a few bars that do average grub, and i cant find work, because its a small place i think its who you know not what you know!! but until we get the facts about the 119 visa i think we are stuck in Port Augusta for two years.

Jo

My husband worked in Port Augusta for a few months back in the early 90's and he says it was exactly like that then, everything shuts early. Don't know why. Is there a curfew for aboriginal youths? I'm sure there used to be or they were thinking of having one a few years ago.

Port Augusta is a great base for exploring the Flinders Ranges. Have you been out there yet?? A beautiful area well worth visiting Wilpena, Quorn, Arkaroola.

• 10 months later...
Guest paul deering
Hi, we are new to poms in adelaide and new to Port Agusta! Is there anybody out there living in or near Port Augusta !! we have been here for 7 weeks now, still getting used to everything shutting early at weekends and no one out in the evenings!!. I have heard that there are a few brits in the town but they must be doing the same.... nothing!!!!!! Help!!!!!! :confused:

Cheers Joanne

Hello, we may be coming your way if my significant other is succesful in a job application come July time (2010) has things improved in any way in Port Augusta. Apparently there is a outdoor swimming pool which looks quite good, do you know of any serious cyclists or runners in the area?

thanks,

Paul and Tracy

Hello, we may be coming your way if my significant other is succesful in a job application come July time (2010) has things improved in any way in Port Augusta. Apparently there is a outdoor swimming pool which looks quite good, do you know of any serious cyclists or runners in the area?

thanks,

Paul and Tracy

Hi Paul and Tracey

Its still boring! You have to find things to do. We have just come back from swimming, 8 people in there including us 4! Its a nice pool.

People give port augusta a bad reputation but we havnt had or seen any trouble in the time weve been here, theres just nothing going on!! But to be honest port augusta is stuck in a timewarp and they dont like change. Its a good place if your 70+. We are looking at jobs in Adelaide at the moment if that gives you an idea of what the place is like. Good Luck. Hope this helped.

Thanks

Jo