Proposed Marine Sanctuaries

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Some of you may know that there are plans afoot to impose some very large "No fishing " zones.

Nothing is definite yet but the public do need to voice their opinions before it's too late.

ALL of the Aldinga area could be closed off!!!

I'm actively opposing them as they stand.

The commercial fishers here takes tons of fish daily whereas the recreational fishers take a very small proportion of the total catch.

Financially though the recreational fishers probably put a lot more into the economy.From buying bait/fuel/tackle locally to usage of the ramps(fees are charged). Then there is the boat and trailer registration.An average long range recreational fisherman will spend around $200 for bait and fuel for a trip.

It may be wise to allow recreational fishing but certainly tighten up on or not allow commercial concerns a large TAC (Total Allowable Catch)

I've written to local ministers/MP's with little response back.

The feeling is that people interested in recreational fishing have no organised voice and are fragmented - so can not easily oppose their wishes for the zones.

This has to stop and a voice be heard.

Please annoy your local MP /Minister if you feel strongly about this. It's not a case of "It won't happen to me" - IT WIlL IF YA DON"T SPEAK OUT.

A little like the UK where people don't bother to vote then moan about the government!

If anyone is interested in getting a petition going let me know by pm and an email,I'll send you some stuff.

Here is an article on Adelaidenow....

'No-fish' zones to sink house prices | Adelaide Now

Also you can copy and email the following as the commercials are devastating fish stocks here.

Something is being done about the Pros' killing snapper stocks in the top half of the Gulf.. please copy and paste with your name and address at the bottom of the email

It would help greatly if everyone copied and sends this email to the minister

Each and every email would count as a submission

One email with multiple signatures still only counts as one submission

copy this and email to the minister ( Hon Michael Francis O'BRIEN) at napier@parliament.sa.gov.au

Put your name an address on the bottom

Dear Minister of Fisheries

Please introduce a Total Allowable Catch (TAC) on snapper (Pagrus auratus) for the commercial sector fishing in South Australian gulf waters.

This request is in response to recent large commercial catches of prime breeding stock of snapper (Pagrus auratus) taken from Gulf St. Vincent and the Spencer Gulf just prior to the annual November snapper closure – it is expected to continue beyond the closure.

In addition to the loss of breeding stock, catches were so large that commercial returns were driven from $12/kg to less than $3/kg. It is understood that this resulted in some catches being hard to sell at fish markets.

At present the commercial take for snapper (Pargrus auratus) is approximately 80% compared to the recreational sector of 20%, with little to no regulation on the commercial sector for the preservation and sustainability of Gulf water stocks.

Excessive fishing and low prices indicate the need for a proper economic and sustainable actions assessment of the whole snapper industry.

I call on PIRSA to introduce a TAC to:

 allow the commercial returns to stay at a reasonable level during the fishing season

 regulate the catch mitigating the ease of catching large numbers made possible through improved fishing methods and advance technology

 progress towards the protection of sustainable levels of biomass of snapper (Pargrus auratus) in South Australian gulf waters, which are unique in a global context

 and restore a balance between commercial and recreational sectors.

<end quote>

Thanks for reading this, only WE can stop this.

Guest Guest5035

Whens it up for sale Tyke??

Wonder what a Damien the fisheries officer thinks?

I do agree, it does seem abit over the top, not being able to fish though.

Stevo

Guest Squareman

The percentage of water with total no catch status is actually very small, even at this very early stage of negotiations. If you want to be heard, attend the Local Advisory Group in your area.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Damien
Whens it up for sale Tyke??

Wonder what a Damien the fisheries officer thinks?

I do agree, it does seem abit over the top, not being able to fish though.

Stevo

Err, umm.....no comment.

Seriously though, the department I work for, PIRSA, has nothing to do with this. It's another dept, DEH I believe or something similar, that have come up with this. I attended the Lucindale Field Days and fended off heaps of questions about it. We simply do not have the relevant info about Marine Parks and are as much in the dark as joe public. If they do go ahead in whatever form will be interesting to see who polices the parks. Think my workload would increase somewhat. All I can suggest is if you're against the parks lobby Parliament as Tyke suggests, I know I would if it threatened my fishing.

Damo

Guest cornish Busdriver

I was gonna get a petition up for in work but theres already 2 there.

So ive eailed the Minister of Fisheries and also signed the petition in anglers choice.

Guest Guest75
If they are that arsed about fish WTF are they letting a desal plant be built in the local area....this is gonna pump concentrated salt abk into the gulf..

Thanks for the bit about Aldinga Diane makes me feel great.

HG

Worst still is that next door to the Desal plant at Christies beach is the sewage plant!

If it ever goes wrong again (had some bad spills in the past) - the poo would be recycled by the Desal plant!!!:eek:

There is a meeting at Burnside Town Hall to discuss the Marine Parks on the evening of 5th April.

Any Govt Minister concerned with this proposal have declined to turn up but instead are sending representatives.

There will be representatives form other govt agencies there.

There will be a LOT of folk turning up.

I'm off with a bunch of guys from Anglers Choice. They reckon 2 square Kilometres around the town hall will be gridlocked. Even just peacefully turning up will show the strength of opinion.

There is a meeting at Burnside Town Hall to discuss the Marine Parks on the evening of 5th April.

Any Govt Minister concerned with this proposal have declined to turn up but instead are sending representatives.

There will be representatives form other govt agencies there.

There will be a LOT of folk turning up.

I'm off with a bunch of guys from Anglers Choice. They reckon 2 square Kilometres around the town hall will be gridlocked. Even just peacefully turning up will show the strength of opinion.

OMG :shocked::shocked: You can't do that in the Eastern Suburbs for goodness sake! Burnside? Hive of anti-establishment activity that is! They should be used to a bit of trouble as their council meetings are always fairly...ummmm.... lively!!

Guest Guest75
Back off or else, say our anglers | Adelaide Now

anyone see tyke in the piccy

stevo

Not in that one.

I was outside with the other 1000 people!

The place was turning into an accident about to happen,far too many people in the hall.

Dunno what dill was counting but there were a heck of a lot of people outside that just could not get in. Also a large number turned up and turned around. Why the organisers could not have found a larger venue, we all knew it would be far too small. Perhaps the Pollies don't have their finger on the pulse.

Lots of politicians and famous folk jumping on the bandwagon now ( some famous folk were asked to help over a year ago but only now do they join?:skeptical: - ah well any help is good help)

So at least it's shown publicly there is a lot of opposition to the proposals.

One big worry for me is that people new to boating who are inexperienced with the waters here will have to travel further from the boating ramps. This will endanger lives, I hope the people behind this ridiculous proposal can bear it on there conscience if god forbid any tragedy occurred.

Two great links underneath here :

South Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party

South Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party

Save our Seafood. Have a look at the maps of the proposed zones!

Save Our Seafood | Informing South Australians about the Impact of Marine Parks in South Australia

Guest Guest75
But Tyke isn't the Gulf overfished, isn't that the whole idea of the sanctuaries to give the stocks time to rebuild?

Stevo

I'm all for stock protection and building. At the moment stocks are very good indeed.

There was a massive glut of Snapper at the back end of last year where the wholesale price of Snapper went down to $3 a kilo!

There are some very good Marine Parks already,all in the migratory paths.

Certainly the recreational fishermen make little impact on the fish population as a whole.

Limits should be brought in for the commercials perhaps ( with consultation.)

A lot of the proposed no take zones are near boat ramps and launch areas though. There are plenty of areas which are not as accessible by recreational fishers that are better prospects for no take zones.