Flathead

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Caught a nice 40cm Flathead the other day.Plus some Snook.

Just a warning though,they have a poison around the gills so always handle with a towel.

Not fatal or anything but hurts like hell.:arghh::elvis:

Very tasty though,similar to Haddock.

2 nice fillets off of this fella.

22072011292.jpg

22072011291.jpg

When handling them be wary of the gill spikes (one on each side) and the large barb on top of their head. The best way to pick them up is with the thumb and forefinger grip by the bottom lip or a towel. That 'poison' is not really toxic but you can try the oldfella's tale by rubbing the affected area across the underside (belly) of the fish, the slimy film is a natural coagulant and may help to stop the bleeding. There is also the brown onion trick for pain, a slice placed over the affected area apparently stops the pain quickly, if you can cope with a couple of minutes of stinging initially.

Guest Guest75
Well done Tyke, can you eat the snook?

Cooler

Sure can eat Snook,one of my favourite fish. They re a little drier than some fish and not as "fishy"?

They don't keep well in the freezer so best eaten fresh - or I smoke them if I have an overabundance.

Great fun catching them on lures. Had the odd ones on Pt Noarlunga Jetty- about 4lbs.

The heads make great Snapper bait as well,so nothing is wasted.

Sure can eat Snook,one of my favourite fish. They re a little drier than some fish and not as "fishy"?

They don't keep well in the freezer so best eaten fresh - or I smoke them if I have an overabundance.

Great fun catching them on lures. Had the odd ones on Pt Noarlunga Jetty- about 4lbs.

The heads make great Snapper bait as well,so nothing is wasted.

Stick to cigs mate :biggrin:

Cooler

Fishing marks are very closely guarded secrets in these parts, if your lucky you may get one or two...normally its a case of get out there and have a look around.

there are a few spots that can be found on the internet, there is a forum called strike and hook that has lotsa info on....also pop into fishing shop on Christies Beach road they are always up for a chat and offer advice.

thats if you live down this way that is..lol

HG

Guest stekaz

yeah,

live at happy valley

got a few spots from fishsa site just wondered if someone would be willing to share their secrets!

if i had a secret, i would tell you........honest ;)

Steve

I dnt have a boat i just try and get out with Tyke whenever i can...he may be forthcoming with some spots...but usual spots are Barges straight out from Sullies boat ramp, just off moana and Seaford for some whiting thats about all i know, when Russ takes me out i dnt really look at where we are on the GPS i just wanna get rods in the water and catch some fish.....!!!! lol

HG

Guest Guest75
Good effort mate, lovely day for it too....

Will go out with you again soon..

HG

I've found a few of my own spots I work now. Some only fish on certain tides / time of day.

A good start are the marks on the links below. Try different times and tides. Keep going out/keep notes and eventually the fish will come!!

Here ya go.........

http://www.fishnet.com.au/information/gps/adela.txt

Guest Guest75

Might be out Weds with "The Fossil". Certainly need to catch uou with a pair of Italian guys out there on the water. The ones that nearly caused The Fossil to lose a finger:policeman::policeman:

Wide open throttle 10m to the stern of my boat does snag lures that are out 30m!! I'll be having words!

Good waether site.............

http://wind.willyweather.com.au/sa/adelaide/osullivan-beach.html

Guest Guest75
no worries,

will let you know what happens when i finally get out there,

fingers crossed for the weather eh?

What boat do you have Steve??

Might have seen you on the ramps??

Guest stekaz

5m (ish) Bellcraft orange/white with a canopy. driver obviously a learner

left a few times from Sullies n W beach

last time was wen it was warm. looking at maybe trying on thursday tho', will look at ur weather site for winds n stuff.

Guest Guest75
5m (ish) Bellcraft orange/white with a canopy. driver obviously a learner

left a few times from Sullies n W beach

last time was wen it was warm. looking at maybe trying on thursday tho', will look at ur weather site for winds n stuff.

I'll keep an eye out for you. Just take your time and make sure all is ready on the boat before launching. Most people are pretty patient if you are new.

I've often offered help on the ramp.

Thursday will be out 18 knot Northerlies are not good. Look for Easterlies,they can be the same speed but coming off the land the sea is a lot calmer.

If in doubt - don't!

Guest stekaz

went out today but confined to quite close to beach as was quite rough before noon, moved around a bit after noon and never got a single bite!

wrapped up at 3ish, got rid of all my bait, reeled in and guess what?! the bait was missing! 1st time all day and no bait left....................not happy

Guest Guest75

At least you got out Steve.................

You were not using the boat for another purpose today were you???

Saw a boat like yours being towed - full of timber.

Handy they double as a trailer!!