Fishing beginner in need of help!

Hi,

I'm wondering if there are any fellow poms out there willing to help me take up fishing down South, as i'm in Seaford.

I fished once years ago as a kid in the UK & my first experience wasn't good. My Dad broke my rod showing me how to do it... and when it was fixed we ended up catching an eel.

My girlfriend recently purchased a two person kayak which can take rods and I now have a pick up truck, so it would be a great time to start.

If anyone is free one evening or one weekend I would really appreciate it.

Steven

Edited by noworriesmate
removed phone no as per forum rules

Guest yogi64

Mate, I'm always happy to join you for a bit of a fish and show you a bit of technique, I also use a Kayak, which is always fun, I also might just be able to give you a bit of advice on your ute (not a pick-up here ;) )

Cheers

Mike

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies and for getting in touch.

Things are a little bit hectic with myself at the moment as i'm job hunting and trying to organise a wedding. I will try and organise something for a meet up in September. If anyone has any tips whether morning or afternoon is better, beach, jetty or river is best, let me know and I will post or draft something up.

Thanks

Steven

Guest yogi64

I'm happy to fish when ever, I normally try to fish 2 hours either side of the high tide, evenings are usually very good, I normally fish the flats with either soft plastics or bait, I normally try to steer clear of the jetties, Trevor I also fish from a kayak, so very happy to take you out on a trip or two.

Mike

• 8 months later...
Guest Mervo44

I've just bought a two seater kayak with a Lowrance fish finder. Haven't taken it out yet. Thinking about the Onkaparinga, West Lakes, Port River

or the black pole at Seacliff.

I haven't got a rod or a Kayak and am not yet in South Australia, but this sounds like good fun. I also used to fish for carp back in the UK so have a little experience with pond fishing. I look forward to finding some time when I arrive and maybe find this thread again... there's not a problem with sharks? - a kayak probably doesn't offer much protection...

...Geoff...

Hey guys,

Just to let you know that yogi64 (Mike) passed away last October. He'd be the first to offer to take you out but hey-ho, life can change in an instant.

Have fun

Addy - Mikes wife.

So sorry Addy, I hadn't connected this thread with that sad event - if you get the opportunity it would be great to hear how you are doing, are you still in SA?

​NWM

Hey NWM,

Yes I'm still in SA, sunny Kapunda. Have no intentions of leaving.

Although my 14 year old and I have been through a trauma (Mike killed in a car crash) the support we've had from Aussies has been awesome! Also living in a country town is amazing.....food parcels, visits, financial support while waiting on life insurance etc.

Mike and I moved to SA from Scotland in 2007, so we'd spent 5 years building a great life for ourselves. As you can imagine that life has changed but Gemma and I will continue to make progress and continue to embrace what a wonderful country we live in.

Addy.

Hey NWM,

Yes I'm still in SA, sunny Kapunda. Have no intentions of leaving.

Although my 14 year old and I have been through a trauma (Mike killed in a car crash) the support we've had from Aussies has been awesome! Also living in a country town is amazing.....food parcels, visits, financial support while waiting on life insurance etc.

Mike and I moved to SA from Scotland in 2007, so we'd spent 5 years building a great life for ourselves. As you can imagine that life has changed but Gemma and I will continue to make progress and continue to embrace what a wonderful country we live in.

Addy.

Thanks for posting Addy - I think with that positive attitude you & Gemma will be fine. I moved over with my family from Paisley and lived in Gawler before moving to Oaklands Park. - I remember hearing about Mike's accident in Gawler and thinking how fragile life is and knowing on other day it could have been me. I am so glad that you have had good support from the people in Kapunda, I know some people say it's had to make friends with Aussies, but I have seen how quick they are to rally round when it's needed. Please don't be a stranger, you have a story that is valuable for people to hear.

​NWM