Fresh water.

Guest pennyblack

Guest pennyblack

.................................................. Good Night.

Edited by snifter
Putting back original title as OP had changed it and removed text

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Damien
Hi Fisher friends.

I did a lot of fresh water fishing in the Uk but left all my gear with my BIL before we came out here.

I'm now thinking of taking up the SPORT again after seeing a few lakes (not many I might add) around Adelaide.

I looked around BCF and another tackle shop, (cant remember the name) but it all seems to be focused around sea fishing.

Anyone know where I can get some fresh water fishing gear, Floats, swim feeders, bite alarms, rod rests,Keep nets ?

Oh and by the way, the Carp is a magnificent fish and although I don't target them when I'm fishing if I do happen to land one I wont be leaving it on the bank to suffocate and die, (Animal rights must have something to say about this) it will be laid on a wet fishing mat until I have the hook out then it will be slipped back in the water unharmed.

Thanks for any advice. :wubclub:

I have some advice for you PennyBlack. Do you not realise that there are fairly hefty penalties for returning noxious spp such as carp and redfin to the water? There is a reason for this rule being in place. I too couldn't bring myself to kill a carp so I don't fish freshwater, simple. There's a lot more ocean to fish! It's very ignorant to move to another country and then openly admit that you would be willing to break their laws.

It's also a bit naive to post this sort of comment when an active member of this site is a Fisheries Officer ;)

As for buying freshwater gear, most of it here is really poor quality so you're better off buying it online from the UK/ebay, especially with the strong dollar. I'm pretty sure keepnets are illegal to as they would be classed as a corf, would need to check though as it's not something we come across very often.

Guest Damien

That's right Diane. A swift blow to the head is humane and the best method. It does wind me up when you see (mainly Aussies) leaving the carp flapping on the bank, stamping on them, throwing them to their dog etc. A quiet word usually does the trick ;) I brought over my priest from my trout fishing days, it's a great tool for 'issuing the last rites'. I even use it on any seafish I want to keep. I did a few talks on carp for the scouts recently and not one could guess what the priest was (it's a length of stainless steel with a heavy end for tapping them on the head).

Pennyblack - I would be very careful returning carp, Fisheries Officers do patrol the lakes and rivers as well as the sea, it's not an offence taken lightly and people may report offending through the Fishwatch number. Not forgetting you may be seen by another fisherman, some of who wouldn't hold back in letting you know their opinion regarding carp!

Guest yogi64

I think you'll find that the SAFWAA guide lines are to release only native species back to the water, I'm afraid your obvious ignorance of the damage these introduced species are having on our waterways is dumbfounding, if your that against not returning these fish back to the water, just simply don't target them.

As for reporting another member (love the way you can use rules but not follow laws) for stating the bloody obvious and trying to give you the heads up............get a grip, these rules and regs are there for a reason.

Maybe we should report you to the AWL/police for your last post!

Mike

Edited by yogi64

Guest yogi64

As an addition to my last post,

Carp are that prolifc here that if you are sitting by a lake side for hours on end, your doing something wrong, If like you said you have left all your fishing gear in the UK, why not do yourself a favour and embrace the Australian way of fishing, there are far better fish out there to target/catch than Carp.

Furthermore is all about intergation, we live by Australian laws, not the laws of your home land, no matter how hard you find them to up hold.

If your fishing to have bragging rights "back home" why not target some serious fish, not the common as type.

By your attitude and your actions your doing exactly what the Australians see Poms as, arrogant and not able to fit in.

And to be honest, taking a swipe at valued members for there replies will not help you out.

Mike

Edited by yogi64

Guest Guest75

I wondered where this thread had gone.

Pennyblack you are so wrong. To publicly declare your intention to return Carp to water here in South Oz is way off. I would not be surprised if Fisheries Officers do not see this either by a report of via Google searches.

Carp were wrongly introduced into the ecosystem here. They are doing untold damage to waterways.

They need to be removed.

Returning to the water - anywhere is wrong, irresponsible and illegal. I don't care how many you have seen returned - would you jump off the cliff Lemming like????

It is different here ,accept the fact.

Carp have to be destroyed and hopefully most dispatch them correctly.

Education is the key ,both on their reduction and methods of dispatch.

Have a read of this article featured on the local fishing forum Strike and Hook ( bet you would not state your Carp views on there!)

http://www.sciencewa.net.au/topics/fisheries-a-water/item/1364-herpes-virus-nothing-to-carp-about

Guest Guest75
As an addition to my last post,

Carp are that prolifc here that if you are sitting by a lake side for hours on end, your doing something wrong, If like you said you have left all your fishing gear in the UK, why not do yourself a favour and embrace the Australian way of fishing, there are far better fish out there to target/catch than Carp.

Furthermore is all about intergation, we live by Australian laws, not the laws of your home land, no matter how hard you find them to up hold.

If your fishing to have bragging rights "back home" why not target some serious fish, not the common as type.

By your attitude and your actions your doing exactly what the Australians see Poms as, arrogant and not able to fit in.

And to be honest, taking a swipe at valued members for there replies will not help you out.

Mike

I've Liked this post but also wanted to say "Hear,hear"

My sentiments exactly!!!!

Guest Zako999

Hi Tyke, looks like we meet again on another topic with Freshwater angling. Save myself writing it all out again ill just copy and paste what i wrote a few years back and i'll link you too it aswell.....

"just to let you know, Carp do nothing wrong. These aussies dont know anything about carp its just the way they are brought up.

Carp do not destroy the habitat in the rivers there is no evidence to prove this. They are a introduced species to Australia just like they was to the UK, once the floods happend in NSW years back and carp spilled into SA the Australians wanted to know more about the fish. So they sent some researchers to the USA to ask about carp etc..... (as you know the yanks hate them)

So the researchers came back saying all this crap about carp now everyone hates them.

And yes it is 'Illegal' to throw carp back but lots and lots of people do and how many people have been fined or got done? none of them.

I went up to Mildura for a Carp fishing nationals the other month and the water quality is much better then SA, there are a mixture of fish and its legal to put the carp back. So thats another reason they need to do research, because the water quality is so bad down this end of the murray because of all the farmers dumping all their poisons etc into it and tking all the water out. Which then turns the river quality appalling. But the government wont admit blaming the farmers because then they would get done so then the other option is to blame the Carp :biglaugh: :biglaugh: which is in my eyes ridiculous.

Frank

(Carp Representer & Match organiser for South Australia)"

This was taken from my post in this thread. http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/14324-fishing-2.html

Guest Guest75
Hi Tyke, looks like we meet again on another topic with Freshwater angling. Save myself writing it all out again ill just copy and paste what i wrote a few years back and i'll link you too it aswell.....

"just to let you know, Carp do nothing wrong. These aussies dont know anything about carp its just the way they are brought up.

Carp do not destroy the habitat in the rivers there is no evidence to prove this. They are a introduced species to Australia just like they was to the UK, once the floods happend in NSW years back and carp spilled into SA the Australians wanted to know more about the fish. So they sent some researchers to the USA to ask about carp etc..... (as you know the yanks hate them)

So the researchers came back saying all this crap about carp now everyone hates them.

And yes it is 'Illegal' to throw carp back but lots and lots of people do and how many people have been fined or got done? none of them.

I went up to Mildura for a Carp fishing nationals the other month and the water quality is much better then SA, there are a mixture of fish and its legal to put the carp back. So thats another reason they need to do research, because the water quality is so bad down this end of the murray because of all the farmers dumping all their poisons etc into it and tking all the water out. Which then turns the river quality appalling. But the government wont admit blaming the farmers because then they would get done so then the other option is to blame the Carp :biglaugh: :biglaugh: which is in my eyes ridiculous.

Frank

(Carp Representer & Match organiser for South Australia)"

This was taken from my post in this thread. http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/14324-fishing-2.html

No worries Frank

At least you present your opposing view in a fair manner and do not suggest any illegal action............................. yer still wrong though:tongue:

Guest pete66

I really do not understand the over reaction to carp. I think the waterways in SA are fantastic. I can't see any evidence of how carp affect the water, but I am open to education from anyone on this subject. Going back to the UK, do carp have he same affect on British waterways. Again I could not see it. And if it does affect the water, who or what does it affect?

Edited by pete66

Guest Zako999

All the fresh-waterways in the UK are stocked with carp, none of the 'they each away the riverbanking and kill our fish' mallarky over here. Sure if you do abit of research you'll be able to find out alot more mate.

Guest Guest75
I really do understand the over reaction to carp. I think the waterways in SA are fantastic. I can't see any evidence of how carp affect the water, but I am open to education from anyone on this subject. Going back to the UK, do carp have he same affect on British waterways. Again I could not see it. And if it does affect the water, who or what does it affect?

In the UK Carp have been in the ecosystem for a while to say the least. The ecosystem has balanced. Here the Carp have no natural predators and the ecosystem suits them perfectly to flourish unchecked.

Guest Guest75
But what do carp actually do to the water and who does it affect

Read the link in my earlier post.

If you really are interested ask your questions on the local South Australian fishing called Strike and Hook,you will find some very knowledgeable people in there.......

http://www.strikehook.com/resources/catch-limits/62-european-carp

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases/freshwater-pests/species/carp/general-information

http://www.feral.org.au/tag/european-carp/

An easy Google search reveals all.

As for "Balancing out " here ...................why?????????????????????????? Surely if they destroy habitat and local species thet should be controlled.

Guest Damien

Frank - is that Mildura in Victoria you were referring to? Pagge 41 of the Victorian Rec Guide states carp must not be returned to the water alive given noxious status. If so how come they were returned in the National Champs?

Not pointing any fingers or making accusations, just curious.

There's heaps of scientific reserach into the effects carp have on the ecosystem. Basically they compete with native fauna for food and habitat and are far less susceptible to poor water conditions such as turbidity and low DO than many native fish spp. Many also believe that they increase turbidity by stirring up the sediment and uprooting weeds when feeding and spawning. Personally I don't think the latter is as much an issue. I believe competition is the main threat. Most fish spp in the UK are cyprinids, as are carp. Therefore they all tolerate to some degree these poorer water conditions so tench, bream, roach etc can also thrive alongside the carp. That is not the case here and the native spp suffer as a result.

Just my opinion after professionally managing fisheries in the UK for 12 years and now working in Fisheries in Aus.

Oh, and I agree with Tyke - they make great cray bait!

Guest pete66

That's a good insight Damien, thank you. Can you assist with the following

1. What native freshwater fish do we have in SA waters.

2. Is there not a recreational market for fresh water fisheries to include those types of fish commonly found in UK. or is this too simplistic. Facinating subject as it appears to me that many Australians jump on the 'kill the carp' bandwagon without actually knowing why. As you point out stirring up the water is not a real problem, it's the competition with native fish and their potential eradication