A visit from the Dolphins

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

I zipped out to a spot 35k's out this morning.

Not as much there as I'd hoped but a pod of Deep Sea Dolphins came visiting and made my day.

Hope the video plays...........

I know I am making daft noises but felt humbled that they had come over to see me.

2012-06-09-207.jpg

2012-06-09-204.jpg

Edited by Guest75
adding pics

Guest Guest75
Thanks for sharing Tyke, I am not really into fishing but can definitely see the appeal even if not fishing.

Just great to get out there and have adventures.

I had to race a hooooge container ship , I really did want to cross in from of him and not behind in his wash - I don't know if the crew were waving hello or something else :biglaugh:

But then you spot something like this in the water,very close to the boat and it just makes you wonder if it was a good idea going out today..................:arghh:

2012-06-09-212.jpg

Guest Damien

They're 'common' dolphins as opposed to the larger bottle nosed you see close to shore. Sometimes we get surrounded by massive pods that, no bull***t, can stretch almost as far as the eye can see. They sometimes number in the thousands. The young ones love to come alongside the boat, it's amazing. We usually see them when we get near the shelf, say 30km out. Bloody awesome.

They also heard fish into bait balls, which can then be picked off, occasionally you see whales come and wipe the ball out, tough life on the ocean hey!

Guest Guest75
They're 'common' dolphins as opposed to the larger bottle nosed you see close to shore. Sometimes we get surrounded by massive pods that, no bull***t, can stretch almost as far as the eye can see. They sometimes number in the thousands. The young ones love to come alongside the boat, it's amazing. We usually see them when we get near the shelf, say 30km out. Bloody awesome.

They also heard fish into bait balls, which can then be picked off, occasionally you see whales come and wipe the ball out, tough life on the ocean hey!

Thanks for the ID Damo. I am on Whale watch now.

Ran over one last year. Did not hit or anything but folk at the ramp saw me go straight over it .

Guest Damien

I know you'd never do this mate, you can't help it if they pop up unawares, but did you see the news the other day? Some idiot from Hallett Cove intentionally drove up to a whale, harrassing it and was caught doing so, can't remember the fine but it was well into 5 figures - well deserved! I can remember watching somebody do the same at Granite Island. Fool.

And I tell you what, going 35km out on your own takes some balls, don't think I could do it. I've got to come up next week for a course. Got to take the instructor out in the Gulf to show him if I can handle a boat, not sure I'll be up to it coz the sea down here is SO flat;) We had swell coming over the wheelhouse yesterday...all good fun!

Guest Barney Rubble

I'm impressed, i didn't hear anyone say "look no hands" must be on auto pilot :biglaugh:

Seriously though 35km's out :swoon:

i get nervous in the middle of or pool:confused:

Thanks for sharing Tyke. Cool video:wink: Its fun to have dolphins visiting you at sea (35 km out) as they're a joy to be around and you know that while they're around other big fish won't be bothering to say hello :biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
I know you'd never do this mate, you can't help it if they pop up unawares, but did you see the news the other day? Some idiot from Hallett Cove intentionally drove up to a whale, harrassing it and was caught doing so, can't remember the fine but it was well into 5 figures - well deserved! I can remember watching somebody do the same at Granite Island. Fool.

And I tell you what, going 35km out on your own takes some balls, don't think I could do it. I've got to come up next week for a course. Got to take the instructor out in the Gulf to show him if I can handle a boat, not sure I'll be up to it coz the sea down here is SO flat;) We had swell coming over the wheelhouse yesterday...all good fun!

Good to hear the twit was fined heavily for harassment. Some folk think they own the sea and everything in it. Sure you come across this often.

I warn anyone new not to jump up and down if they see Dolphins when we are speed - going to lose one over one of these days :biglaugh:

It's just picking the right conditions to go further out. They were perfect. No swell ,just light chop. It just takes longer to get out there, 35 mins and it's boring really.

Full safety gear on board.

I like a challenge.

Water over the wheelhouse!!!!!! Jeez 'Id need a Poop deck!

Guest Guest75
I'm impressed, i didn't hear anyone say "look no hands" must be on auto pilot :biglaugh:

Seriously though 35km's out

i get nervous in the middle of or pool:confused:

I was only going slowly so easy to let the boat steer herself.

My next challenge is to cross the gulf to Tapley Shoals, near Edithberg solo.

My friend does it.

Takes an hour in good conditions.

My worst fear was setting off at silly O'clock in the dark, no radar, just GPS and sharp eyes.

I often do pre dawn runs south 20 odd K's . Have to be on this certain spot for daybreak. The Snapper only bite for up to an hour.

It's just a question of building up confidence and experience.

Guest Guest75
Thanks for sharing Tyke. Cool video:wink: Its fun to have dolphins visiting you at sea (35 km out) as they're a joy to be around and you know that while they're around other big fish won't be bothering to say hello :biglaugh:

It was a trade off, loss of fish for a cool dolphin visit.

I really did not mind.

I do mind one that pops up when we are fishing at one spot down south.

The fish we catch there (Snook) often stay in one spot in numbers, we just go round and around picking them off.

A Dolphin seems to have cottoned onto this and pops up in the middle of the shoal .

Guest leeannekays

We watched the dolphins on Friday evening on Moana beach about 4.15pm.... the children were so excited to see them, so were we actually.

It was magic.

Leeanne xx

It was a trade off, loss of fish for a cool dolphin visit.

I really did not mind.

I do mind one that pops up when we are fishing at one spot down south.

The fish we catch there (Snook) often stay in one spot in numbers, we just go round and around picking them off.

A Dolphin seems to have cottoned onto this and pops up in the middle of the shoal .

Yes you are right, sometimes not catching anything and just plain enjoying the company of such magnificent creatures is worth it and it shows in your voice on the video. :smile:

The other Dolphin thats been causing you problems just wants to make friends with you guys :biglaugh: I've got no experience on this and I really don't know how I'd feel if a playful dolphin didn't let me take care of business.. :wink:

Cheers

Guest Guest75
Yes you are right, sometimes not catching anything and just plain enjoying the company of such magnificent creatures is worth it and it shows in your voice on the video. :smile:

The other Dolphin thats been causing you problems just wants to make friends with you guys :biglaugh: I've got no experience on this and I really don't know how I'd feel if a playful dolphin didn't let me take care of business.. :wink:

Cheers

The spot down south is one of my "fail" spots.

Friends on here (a certain person called Chris recently) might come down to a snapper spot with me and if no fish we call into this one where the dolphin pops up on the way home.

So as I feel under pressure to catch a few fish I am not the best of friends with this particular dolphin.

Don't get me wrong,I'd never do anything against the dolphin though!

The spot down south is one of my "fail" spots.

Friends on here (a certain person called Chris recently) might come down to a snapper spot with me and if no fish we call into this one where the dolphin pops up on the way home.

So as I feel under pressure to catch a few fish I am not the best of friends with this particular dolphin.

Don't get me wrong,I'd never do anything against the dolphin though!

Quite understandable! :wink: How long do you usually stay out at sea?:smile:

Guest Guest75
Quite understandable! :wink: How long do you usually stay out at sea?:smile:

It depends on what for and where we are fishing.

Sometimes it's a quick ,commando style raid on a spot for an hour or two or up to 12 hour stints. On the longer trips I do make a lot more stops.

Sometimes fish will only bite at a certain time of day or certain tide on spots so you often have a small window of opportunity.

It does amaze me how this all works, you can see fish sat on the spot on the sounder but they will not bit until the tide starts to run / first daylight.

It depends on what for and where we are fishing.

Sometimes it's a quick ,commando style raid on a spot for an hour or two or up to 12 hour stints. On the longer trips I do make a lot more stops.

Sometimes fish will only bite at a certain time of day or certain tide on spots so you often have a small window of opportunity.

It does amaze me how this all works, you can see fish sat on the spot on the sounder but they will not bit until the tide starts to run / first daylight.

Amazing! Never thought of fishing as this complicated! Respect:smile:

Guest Guest75

Here is the "Fishing tool" in action.

There were two boats and we were caught in a bad squall on that far out spot. 3 meter waves that were hard to battle through. The boat was completely out of the water often!!

The last pic is just after we had gone THROUGH a wave., that was scary to see seawater coming over the screen!!

snaptrip 130210.jpg

snaptrip3 130210.jpg

snaptrip2 130210.jpg

Snap trip 1130210.jpg

Edited by Guest75