Close call!

Guest Damien

Guest Damien

No news from me for a while, been catching plenty of fish, bought a house on 31 acres etc but the internet has been down. Bugger. Anyway, went out on Friday for a quick fish. I thought I'd trouble the local razorfish population for some berley first. I took the mutt with me and was happily gathering bait when I spotted an osprey eyeing her up....well she is small. I thought I'd better get her safely into the car.

I launched the boat and got followed out to sea by a pair of sea eagles. This place is amazing! I soon managed to catch my limit of KGW however.....what I want to show you is this:

I slipped two fingers into a razorfish to prize it open and what a bloody shock :arghh:

BRO.jpg

Bloody blue ringed octopus inside the shell! Apparently when they show their blue rings they are ANGRY! One bite can be fatal.

Bloody island. Already had to get the kids away from a white pointer, now this! Well I was using the kids as a lure:jiggy:

How big is that? Are they really small? I'm not 100% sure what a razorfish is (are they the same as a cuttlefish?) so can't get a good idea from your pic of the size of the octopus... Not that I'll ever be sticking my fingers inside a razorfish - intentionally - but just wondering how big a hole on abeach they could fit in

Guest Damien

Don't worry Diane, they're pretty small but do pack a possibly fatal punch, they live in the little nooks and crannies most normal people don't venture to. Razorfish are about 4" wide, that little mother of an occie was about 2" diameter but easily big enough to kill! If you don't get to the hospital straight away then it's the grim reaper for you! They do live in the shells hermit crabs use so take care when fossicking!

​I did live to catch my bag though!

I was told to take care when picking up cans / bottles* on the beach 'cos there could be a blue ring in there; is that true, Damo?

LC

* Yes, I am that strange woman that picks up rubbish when walking along the beach...specially keep my eyes open for plastic bags and fishing stuff. And yes, my family support me but from a few yards away lol!

Guest Guest75
I was told to take care when picking up cans / bottles* on the beach 'cos there could be a blue ring in there; is that true, Damo?

LC

* Yes, I am that strange woman that picks up rubbish when walking along the beach...specially keep my eyes open for plastic bags and fishing stuff. And yes, my family support me but from a few yards away lol!

Both are true.

Blue Rings will climb into anything - we saw this up in Darwin with the "Mad Bloke" with the Aquarium.

** Yes you are strange..

​**** Support you on the plastic bags and fishing stuff. I spend a LOT of time recovering stuff out at sea!

Glad you are okay Damo!

We were always told not leave empty cans or bottles on the beach when I was a kid due to the risk of a blue ring getting inside!

I can't believe that it isn't drilled into kids and adults alike now.....surely it must be?

Edited by Misplaced

Wow, I've never seen one of those. KI really packs a punch for wildlife. It's the first place I've ever come across a snake - a brown snake too - it was sunning itself on a pathway and we needed to move it because there was nowhere else to walk. It is a heavenly place though. Didn't realise the blue ring were so small and so deadly too.

You can survive a bite from them if you KNOW it was that that bit you. It shuts down the part of your brain than allows you to breath. If you get to hospital and put on lie support with in 20mins I think you can breath again after 24-48hrs or something like that.

They particularly like living on the reef at Port Noarlunga - family friendly beach so be aware. It would be rare to see one but if you know what to avoid you will be ok. Your more like to see blue bottle jelly fish.

Glad all is well and thanks for the photo they can be so small and difficult to see.

You can survive a bite from them if you KNOW it was that that bit you. It shuts down the part of your brain than allows you to breath. If you get to hospital and put on lie support with in 20mins I think you can breath again after 24-48hrs or something like that.

They particularly like living on the reef at Port Noarlunga - family friendly beach so be aware. It would be rare to see one but if you know what to avoid you will be ok. Your more like to see blue bottle jelly fish.

Glad all is well and thanks for the photo they can be so small and difficult to see.

Yep! I can agree with that about the reef as back when you could walk on the reef after a swim out to it I used have a stroll along to see if there were any and you used to see a couple. Ah! The good old days!!

Wow that's a close call you had ... We heard a dog nearly died when it picked up a discarded split tennis ball and there was a blue ring lurking inside. Didn't know they only show their blue rings when angry either so will be wary of any octopus I see now.

We were always told not leave empty cans or bottles on the beach when I was a kid due to the risk of a blue ring getting inside!

I can't believe that it isn't drilled into kids and adults alike now.....surely it must be?

I'm not sure, Misplaced. The kids had the usual safety warnings whenever they were on camp etc but maybe it's one of the many things they don't really listen to?! You'd think they would though, wouldn't you.

Anyway, I don't think people tend to leave cans and bottles on the beach now 'cos they're worth 10c each lol!* Or they don't on the lovely beaches I frequent :)

:cool: LC

* Not sure if you were here when the cash-back thing was introduced in 1975??

Guest Claire-n-tel
Don't worry Diane, they're pretty small but do pack a possibly fatal punch, they live in the little nooks and crannies most normal people don't venture to. Razorfish are about 4" wide, that little mother of an occie was about 2" diameter but easily big enough to kill! If you don't get to the hospital straight away then it's the grim reaper for you! They do live in the shells hermit crabs use so take care when fossicking!

​I did live to catch my bag though!

Never give up on someone who has been bitten by a blue ring, mostly people die of suffocation due to paralisis of respiritory muscles, give mouth to mouth until help arrives, the victim will not start to breathe again from you doing it but they may well survive with no long term problems after a stint on icu after the poison wears off.....

having said all that i dont think i would have been hanging around to take a photo Damien.....imagine how fast they can run with 8 legs:wink:

claire

Guest Damien

Just got back from working in the city so sorry for the lack of replies. It was pretty dopey out of the water Claire so I even managed to move some of its legs around. Didn't go near the body though, that's where the beak is!

Guest Guest75
Hahaha!

Thank you, you are very kind (and possibly deluded lol) :wubclub:

You are not the Anti-Tyke, are you???:shocked:

Much lub,

LC & Co.

​Yer,yer,yer. At least ONE person has to be nice to you:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Guest katsmajic

My oldest daughter had a run in with a blue ringed octopus not long after we got here, thankfully she was with a group of aussie kids, didn't get a proper bite and was rushed to hospital....scary stuff!