Winter Snapper - they are out there!

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

I get a bit fed up with people saying it's not worth taking the boat out in winter as there are not as many fish around.

Great - less competition.

8 kg Snapper / 86 cm caught locally today, bit nippy early on until the sun came through though.

He gave me a heck of a fight for 10 minutes.:swoon:

winter 8kg snap..jpg

Guest Guest75
Where abouts did you catch it? I've not managed a snapper yet (although I don't mind what I catch as long as I catch something).

I was tempted to just say............ "In the sea" but it's not a secret spot - straight out from O'Sullies ramp.A spot called the Barges.

Be aware it is about 5 /6 K's out so you will need the full safety kit including an Epirb.

If you don't have the marks give me a shout, I'll pm them and some advice.

Snapper are great fun - do NOT strike as soon as the rod twitches - let them swallow the bait first - you will know when you have a biggie on believe me:swoon::shocked:

Guest Guest75

No worries, it takes time to build up confidence - and always a thought for safety. Unlike my 2nd trip out. My Aussie mate (very experienced fisho) said I needed to take my boat out to his Snapper spot.

This involved him onboard, a 4am pitch black launch and a 35k trip!!!

Cakked myself!!!!

Guest Guest75

I have heard on the grapevine that there are some good 50cm winter King George Whiting and large Garfish off of Sliver Sands,Aldinga. 1000m out,look for clear patches in the weed:wink::wink::wink:

Guest Guest75

Poor dogs would be upset, they love treats when I get back.

Mrs Tykes marvelous fish pies would not be the same!!!

At least I am eating local fish:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
I get a bit fed up with people saying it's not worth taking the boat out in winter as there are not as many fish around.

Great - less competition.

8 kg Snapper / 86 cm caught locally today, bit nippy early on until the sun came through though.

He gave me a heck of a fight for 10 minutes.:swoon:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6539[/ATTACH]

Only 8kg??? :tongue:

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
I WAS waiting for the comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue:

Some people pull 10.6kg if memory serves me correct???:cute:

I'm nothing if not predictable :tongue:

I was tempted to do the old Crocodile Dundee "that's not a fish... This is a fish!" but thought I'd better behave :biglaugh:

And yep indeedy, 10.6kg (he won't forget that in a hurry lol) - freezer's almost empty now :biggrin:

Guest Guest75
I'm nothing if not predictable :tongue:

I was tempted to do the old Crocodile Dundee "that's not a fish... This is a fish!" but thought I'd better behave :biglaugh:

And yep indeedy, 10.6kg (he won't forget that in a hurry lol) - freezer's almost empty now :biggrin:

I did ask but ya fella's got Fatherly duties this week ( rightly so)

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
I did ask but ya fella's got Fatherly duties this week ( rightly so)

I know ya did, and too bloody right he has lol, i get to go to work for a rest :jiggy:And I did tell him we've got to finish the one we've got first, make room for the big beast next time :wink:

Guest Guest11535

A big thank you Tyke, went to the tackle shop on beach road and their advice was honest and to the point....I went fishing off the jetty @ Port Noarlunga on sunday and I double headed 2 salmon trout off the rig they sold me. It was the 3rd time in my life that I have been fishing and I will be going again. Well chuffed.

Guest Guest75

Fabulous to hear!! It's smack in the middle of the Salmon Season - the rougher water the better you will find!!

For your third time that is great going!!! Onya!!!

Good to hear the blokes at Angler's Choice looked after you, not surprised at all!!

Guest Guest75

By the way Garyupnorth - did you know that Angler's choice have a competition for the largest Salmon caught - monthly as well!!

If you are keen try low tide on the south of the mouth of the Onkaparinga river as it runs into the sea (yep down all those steps). Only at low tide for safety!

Guest Guest75
Will give it a go, going to try spinning off the beach next time that looks good fun.

It's great fun. Hope your casting skills are good....................... mine are terrible!