How useful will my UK coarse fishing equipment be in Adelaide?

TonyD

I have over the years got quite a collection of pike fishing gear and am looking to bring most of it with me but am aware it is more than likely my fishing will probably sea fishing. Would medium sized baitrunners and 2&3/4lb TC rods be any use or should I sell up over here? I'm reluctant as a) I'd get next to nowt for it and b) it's got sentimental value. I would love to catch barracuda!!

I've also got lures but know they'll be useful.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Tony

There is some coarse fishing here - Trout,Redfin and Carp (please observe the rules on Carp!)

Some coarse fishing clubs as well.

I don't know a lot about the UK gear as I only took up fishing here.

If you have room in the container I'd be bringing it all if you feel you won't get much second hand.

There is a good section in Strike and Hook, a local South Australian fisihng forum. TonyB in there is a very helpful expat.

Have a look.......................... http://www.strikehook.com/forum/index

Thanks for the advice Tyke - I have no intention really of coarse fishing, to live close to the sea and go fishing for carp etc would be a waste of a great opportunity. I'm aware and am in support of the rules on what to do if you catch carp. I'll have a look on strike and hook.

Thanks for the advice.

Tony

Guest Guest75
Thanks for the advice Tyke - I have no intention really of coarse fishing, to live close to the sea and go fishing for carp etc would be a waste of a great opportunity. I'm aware and am in support of the rules on what to do if you catch carp. I'll have a look on strike and hook.

Thanks for the advice.

Tony

No worries.

You'll have so much new stuff to learn for sea fishing.

It can be fairly inexpensive to start with though. Just build up.

I've been roped into helping out atThe Anglers Choice tackle shop over the busy Christmas period so might see you in there if you are southern based.

Tight lines!

Guest sithewindows

There is a boat showroom on the way to Adelaide, on the window they have signs that say "your wife rang and said its ok"

You may well see me in there........in fact there's no doubt! I'm trying not to think about getting a boat BUT if I tell the wife how much it would improve my catchrate and therefore great seafood for meals surely she can't object?????

Tony

Guest Guest75
You may well see me in there........in fact there's no doubt! I'm trying not to think about getting a boat BUT if I tell the wife how much it would improve my catchrate and therefore great seafood for meals surely she can't object?????

Tony

He,he.

Mrs Tyke suggested to me that I should get a small boat (tinny) to improve my catch. Then the list started,,,,,,,,,,,,,, had to have a cabin - for a toilet, bigger than those bitey sharks and so on. Catch her in a good mood mate!!!

Not been fishing for a few years however I had guessed all of my gear would need selling UK side as there isn't much call for lightweight match fishing gear. My carping gear was 1 1/2 tc rods with 2 lb line. Favourite rod was a 9ft trout rod which was as old as the hills and would bend over double. Had 2lb line most of the time, tiny non barbed hook and would catch some lovely 25lb + common and mirror carp from a farmers pond, virgin fish and could take 30 mins + to bring them in, great sport and fair to the fish. Again I guess pole fishing is not popular? as had some great fish on the poles, brother had a jack pike on 1/2 lb pole rig, interesting bringing it in especially considering we had no clamps etc!

Fishing is great fun and relaxation however never got into pure carp fishing or sea fishing but given Adelaides better weather and species I might be persuaded otherwise.

S

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Aww shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we are all the same then give Jon a smack!!! If ya see what I mean:smile:

The problem I have is that the last (about the millionth) time he asked for a boat I said "On yer bike!"

Now he wants one of them too... :confused::arghh:

And what he thinks is his winning line... "It'll be cheaper than a boat"

:huh:

Edited by Mrs Bon Jovi

Guest Guest75
Careful Tyke, they're ganging up!!

I'm quite accustomed to it.................watch out for Mrs BJ,Lazy Cow,Toni and Claire. ( Sounds like some mucky film from the late 70's ,Ooooeer missus!).

They like picking on me.

Mrs Bon Jovi........................................ Just remind me how much fish your hubbie will bring home........... What did he catch last outing??

BTW- starting to look like a trip on Tuesday if he is not working???

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
I'm quite accustomed to it.................watch out for Mrs BJ,Lazy Cow,Toni and Claire. ( Sounds like some mucky film from the late 70's ,Ooooeer missus!).

They like picking on me.

Mrs Bon Jovi........................................ Just remind me how much fish your hubbie will bring home........... What did he catch last outing??

BTW- starting to look like a trip on Tuesday if he is not working???

Mucky film from the 70s? You can count me out then, some of weren't around then :tongue: We're not all old codgers like you, you know :biggrin:

Ok, granted, hubby might have caught a few tiddlers last time! He did say after last time he may never catch a bigger fish than that ever again!:biglaugh:

Oh and he is off on Tuesday..

Edited by Mrs Bon Jovi
Forgot stuff!

Guest Guest75
Mucky film from the 70s? You can count me out then, some of weren't around then :tongue: We're not all old codgers like you, you know :biggrin:

Ok, granted, hubby might have caught a few tiddlers last time! He did say after last time he may never catch a bigger fish than that ever again!:biglaugh:

Oh and he is off on Tuesday..

It was the best start I have ever seen to Snapper fishing.

Looks like I'll be doing a bit of Tuna fishing down south this summer as well!!

OK , I'll keep an eye on the weather and be in touch !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I have over the years got quite a collection of pike fishing gear and am looking to bring most of it with me but am aware it is more than likely my fishing will probably sea fishing. Would medium sized baitrunners and 2&3/4lb TC rods be any use or should I sell up over here? I'm reluctant as a) I'd get next to nowt for it and b) it's got sentimental value. I would love to catch barracuda!!

I've also got lures but know they'll be useful.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Tony

Exactly

I'm a pike fisher too with a whole load of gear in the garage and don't know what to sell and what to keep.

never been into the whole sea fishing thing...cos of the boat element :unsure::unsure::unsure:

.....but would love to catch me some toothy critters in Oz.....if I ever get there.:arghh:

Guest Guest75
Exactly

I'm a pike fisher too with a whole load of gear in the garage and don't know what to sell and what to keep.

never been into the whole sea fishing thing...cos of the boat element :unsure::unsure::unsure:

.....but would love to catch me some toothy critters in Oz.....if I ever get there.:arghh:

I really don't know much about course fishing gear from the UK. Not much call for the long poles over here from what I understand.

If you have room in the container - shove it in!!

Beach / saltwater fishing can be very rewarding - you need a boat (don't let Mrs Tyke read that!).

I'm pulling some nice healthy Mullett out at the moment from the end of the drive on beach at Moana - not far from the Poles.

Plenty of Tommies too (Australian Herring) - I'm hoping to turn them into Snapper soon !!

Our container has landed today so 2 weeks time and I get my hands back on my fishing gear!!!!! I'm really proud I have restrained myself from buying new fishing gear in KMart , some semi-decent sea fishing gear in there and pretty cheap too.

As Tyke said BillyJo, if you have room bring it but if you can get decent money for it just sell it in the UK and use the money to buy new here, it really isnt that dear.

A coupe of guys I have met have brought their carp gear and have been using it to catch carp and perch which get up to a decent size.

You'll be here before you know it........though I know it doesn't feel like it at the minute!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest75
Our container has landed today so 2 weeks time and I get my hands back on my fishing gear!!!!! I'm really proud I have restrained myself from buying new fishing gear in KMart , some semi-decent sea fishing gear in there and pretty cheap too.

As Tyke said BillyJo, if you have room bring it but if you can get decent money for it just sell it in the UK and use the money to buy new here, it really isnt that dear.

A coupe of guys I have met have brought their carp gear and have been using it to catch carp and perch which get up to a decent size.

You'll be here before you know it........though I know it doesn't feel like it at the minute!!

Two weeks has passed so have you got your hands on your gear????

Guest Claire-n-tel
It all came on Wednesday - I'm so chuffed! I'll have to try and get out this weekend, maybe just go to one of the piers and have an hour or two....probably won't catch owt but there's nowt new there!!

Not like me then Tony!.......on a recent day out in the bay on a lovely boat, i caught the ONLY fish.......mentioning no names Tyke Shhhh!:tongue: