Cricket World Cup

snifter

We caved, well, hubby did so he could watch his beloved Aussies in HD for the world cup. Foxtel is now installed. And the added bonus of HD footy where he can take his pick from any of the games being played, well, when faced with that, it was a no brainer for him :cute:

We watched a chunk of the NZ v Sri Lanka this morning, well, I was doing stuff, he was glued and now the Aus v England game is on and there is a friendly married rivalry in our house on the outcome of this game :wubclub::tongue:

We turned down some tickets to go see the game in Adelaide tomorrow, India v Pakistan as its a hot one and our son doesn't do sitting still for twenty overs very well let alone 50 :confused:.

Anyone going to any games? Who are you cheering on? There are many nationalities on this forum so feel free to give a shout out for your team :)

I support England but I do rather like the Kiwis and would love to see them go a long way in the tournament. I won't be saying that come the rugby union WC later in the year :nah:

The new oval is great. We've been to a few games there now since it re opened and hubby raves about how good it is and how much they managed to keep the feel of the ground and not loose its appeal. I only ever went there to a footy finals day (the lower levels) and remember it being a bit nippy and where we were sat, if all felt a bit old and tired seating wise.

The facilities are great, no slow queues to go on and food and drink options easy to access. Only down side of those is the price. $8 or some such for a hot dog. $5 for fries. But we take our own stuff usually and then grab some chips or a drink as extra. They do check bags going in for alcohol and cameras with a lense over a certain size iirc.

I love the new oval. Not that I ever went to the old one, but I did go to West Lakes for the footy once. The new oval is loads better and much closer so it's a win win for us.

I caved in and agreed to get tickets to the quarter final here in Adelaide. If Australia get through to the quarters they will be playing here. It would be a big shock for them to not get through so I guess I'm watching Australia play. Personally I think I would like pretty much any team to win other than Australia but my OH and kids are barracking for the Aussies so I'm out voted in our house. We have the UK Australia game on both TVs here at the moment (and no Foxtel in site).

I know a few people going to the India v Pakistan game tomorrow. Was tempted to go just to see the new grounds, as I haven't been yet. But like you Snifter didn't like the idea of the heat. They had some tickets on sale yesterday, not sure if it is sold out.

I thought the game had been sold out for weeks. I'm sure my OH said it was sold out within 20 minutes of the tickets going on sale. Maybe they found some other tickets to release?

I thought the game had been sold out for weeks. I'm sure my OH said it was sold out within 20 minutes of the tickets going on sale. Maybe they found some other tickets to release?

They seemed to have seats yesterday. I went on the Adelaide Oval site yesterday at around 11.00am and it said that some seats would go on sale at 11.30 that morning. I decided not to go ahead because of the weather so didn't get to test it.

Snifter - Do they allow you to take your own food? They should but some places seem to be getting a bit picky about that which probably stop a lot of people going and enjoying it.

We've taken a cool bag of food every time we've been there :) Friends of ours do also. It seems to be only alcohol and glass bottles they don't allow in the food/drink department.

After subjecting them all to the Ashes in 2013 I could only convince one child to come with me to a match. We've got tickets for the England/Bangladesh game in March - turns out it's Adelaide Cup day, so the timing's off a bit!

We took a packed lunch into the Ashes with us but it was so hot on the day we ended spending a fortune on drinks and the children weren't too impressed with the heat so we had a good wander around the shady parts of the Oval.

Enjoyed the cricket so far.

Shame Pakistan fell apart. Friends at the game said the atmosphere was amazing.

And go the minnows of Zimbabwe, good to see the not so highly ranked teams can still shake the bigger teams up a bit. Those last 10 overs or so though, they gave away a lot of runs.

• 1 month later...

Soooo, its the quarter finals already :biggrin:

Throughly enjoyed the Pakistan v Australia game last night. Quite a few friends and family at the game but we were at home as have a friend from overseas just arrived in town for a few days.

Anyway, Glenn Maxwell anyone? :cute:http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-pakistan-glenn-maxwells-crazy-strokeplay-during-cricket-world-cup-clash/story-fnqpo3wn-1227272326098

We were chuckling at the commentators not having a name for some of the shots he was pulling out of the bag. And what a stint of bowling from Pakistan. Great stuff.

And Shane Watson! He's been a bone of contention in our house for a long time. I've been amused at my hubby going from being very happy he was finally dropped to very happy he was back in the team on the day when he actually played well. 'WATTO!' is THE man. For now :cute:

Anyways, enjoyed it all so far. The NZ V Aug game was one of the best, showing you don't need high scores for a good game of cricket. And some other great matches between the smaller teams. England were ordinary at best :unsure:

My only gripe, that only the Australia games have been shown in free to air. For a World Cup tournament, its a great shame not more of the games were shown free (we got Foxtel). Some were classics and I for one enjoyed seeing teams like Afghanistan and UAE playing. I hope the powers that be expand the game and let the smaller teams have more international cricket. I'd love to see them be able to play bigger games more often.

My only gripe, that only the Australia games have been shown in free to air. For a World Cup tournament, its a great shame not more of the games were shown free (we got Foxtel). Some were classics and I for one enjoyed seeing teams like Afghanistan and UAE playing. I hope the powers that be expand the game and let the smaller teams have more international cricket. I'd love to see them be able to play bigger games more often.

My Dad was saying almost the same thing about the UK (even though he lives in Spain!) - that it just wasn't being shown on TV and that the younger generation just didn't "get it" as a game. He was planning on writing to the MCC...

I was surprised the stadium wasn't full yesterday and I think part of the reason has been the general lack of games being shown on free-to-air TV - there just hasn't been the 'buzz' that I was expecting. The game may have been good on the telly but the atmosphere at the stadium for most of the match was pretty flat for a quarter final, knock-out match. I love big games (which is why I went) but I did come away slightly disappointed with the 'experience' (not the result)

NWM

I was surprised the stadium wasn't full yesterday and I think part of the reason has been the general lack of games being shown on free-to-air TV - there just hasn't been the 'buzz' that I was expecting. The game may have been good on the telly but the atmosphere at the stadium for most of the match was pretty flat for a quarter final, knock-out match. I love big games (which is why I went) but I did come away slightly disappointed with the 'experience' (not the result)

NWM

You obviously weren't sat in the same bit of the stadium as I was. The people around us were making that much noise my youngest child got upset and my OH had to take him to the family alcohol free area on the hill for a bit of quiet :nah:. I was also suprised the stadium wasn't full and agree the lack of free to air coverage probably made a difference.