Things to do when we arrive!!

Hi Guys,

So im just getting a general feel for what activities il be able to partake in when we arrive later this year! I have 2 weeks ago broken my leg in 3 places at rugby and have been told il never play again (silly game I know) but all good things must come to an end I suppose!!! So without rugby il need to take up other activities so just want to know what are the golf courses like etc? I also have a small interest in fishing which id like to get a lot more into when we arrive and hopefully meet like minded people :-)

Cheers Joe

Where to start - everything from fishing, football, cricket all the way to dressing up as knights and beating the pants out of everyone (someone at work was telling me all about it). There are heaps of sports related clubs around - and plenty of opportunities for adults to get involved in coaching children's sports clubs.

Lots of water activities as well and don't forget, you are moving to off roading and camping heaven.

Haha I've always wanted to dress up as a knight ;-) sounds amazing and the right sort of place for us to be as active as we can be so thanks very much for all your responses! The OH is part of a rowing club here in bristol and we've done abit of research for clubs around Adelaide for her to continue this, anyone part of this club or give her an insight to what it's like etc? Also the off roading and camping is right up my street it's a shame I'm not bringing my land rover defender with me :-( I went to Perth back in 2012 and a friend took me to some dunes where it was all open and every man and his dog were out on Utes, quad bikes and motorcross bikes etc is there plenty of places to experience this in Adelaide then? Sounds like it's getting to be the perfect place for us if so as sooooo many boxes are being ticked :-) cheers Joe

Haha I've always wanted to dress up as a knight ;-) sounds amazing and the right sort of place for us to be as active as we can be so thanks very much for all your responses! The OH is part of a rowing club here in bristol and we've done abit of research for clubs around Adelaide for her to continue this, anyone part of this club or give her an insight to what it's like etc? Also the off roading and camping is right up my street it's a shame I'm not bringing my land rover defender with me :-( I went to Perth back in 2012 and a friend took me to some dunes where it was all open and every man and his dog were out on Utes, quad bikes and motorcross bikes etc is there plenty of places to experience this in Adelaide then? Sounds like it's getting to be the perfect place for us if so as sooooo many boxes are being ticked :-) cheers Joe

I know of Adelaide Rowing Club, website is here http://www.adelaiderowingclub.com.au/v2/

In the CBD is the rowing club on the Torrens, right by the Adelaide Oval and Elder Park, bit more scenic perhaps as its got the setting in the city. Also handy if you are working in the CBD perhaps. http://torrensrowingclub.com/cms/

ETA - The Adelaide Rowing club have a boatshed on the Torrens also apparently and train over at West Lakes.

Edited by snifter

I think you should take up lawn bowls - much safer than that rugby lark! Seriously, never done it myself but it seems to be HUGE here - and not just among those in their older years either! The father of one of my son's friends plays pretty seriously, and travels all over Australia for competitions.

Yes we noticed that when we travelled back in November diane! You'll never know if we take it up we may find our hidden talent somewhere ;-) a question that has been on my mind recently is transport I.e bus's and trains from west beach/Henley beach areas. Are they well connected to the CBD? And how long do they take roughly at peak times?

Cheers joe

Yes we noticed that when we travelled back in November diane! You'll never know if we take it up we may find our hidden talent somewhere ;-) a question that has been on my mind recently is transport I.e bus's and trains from west beach/Henley beach areas. Are they well connected to the CBD? And how long do they take roughly at peak times?

Cheers joe

No trains from there but plenty of buses go from/through Henley Beach (the buses I catch go all the way to Henley Beach). Have a look at http://adelaidemetro.com.au for bus times. I know there are the H30, X30 and H33 that go to Henley Beach and there are probably others as well.

Thanks NicF that's good to know! It's only incase Carrie has to travel to the hospital for work, obviously if she's working late she will take the car. It's hard getting a general jist for things without actually being there but I guess everyone who has migrated has been in the same boat as us! Cheers Joe

Take up cycling and you could both easily cycle from Henley to the CBD: there is a park (the Torrens Linear Park) that runs alongside the river (Torrens, obviously) from Henley Beach all the way to the hills, via the city. Cycling and walking tracks all along it.