granite Island

Has anyone been to Granite Island who would be able to tell me what the wheelchair access would be like please.

Would like to go and see the penguins when we come over in September so that the trip isn't just about sorting out schools unis, banks and accommodation etc... since we are now spending our years holiday money on the trip plus some!

Thank you

I would email them and ask to be certain.

http://www.graniteisland.com.au/html/penguin_tours.html

Their email is on the bottom of the all the pages.

The tours run late in the evning, 9pm or so and I don't know if wheelchair access at that time is possible. There is a path round the island but not sure if all of it is ok for a wheelchair and there are some steps at one end and I can't recall another route down from there so it may mean back tracking.

I've never gone round the island with a view to wheelchair access I'm afraid. Only pushchair when little one was small.

There is a walkway out to the island, a small road up to the visitor centre and cafe etc. From there is a heap of steps up to the start of the loop going that way round. I am not sure if there is another option from that end as we've always used the steps to the viewing platform on the far side.. Going the other way from the walkway there is a path and we pushed a pushchair round it ok. Was hard work in places and not all the path was particularly wide at that time. Can't recall what it was like last time we were out there as wasn't really paying attention to that then. Also to go off path and see where their nests (they are underground so you only see the entrance) are etc that is on foot only I'd say as its very rocky and narrow tracks through the rocks and undergrowth. There may be somewhere you can see them with ease around the island though but all the spots we saw burrows were awkward.

Also the tour focus may be up near the steps somewhere I think. So as to see them come in and head to burrows there where people can watch from a distance. I'm sure the guide said that was what they did when I asked a while back but may have recalled it wrong as son was distracting me.

I read some reviews elsewhere that commented the walk round the island itself they thought would be hard for wheelchairs as some parts were steep inclines. I don't really remember how tough it was to push the pushchair as we took it in turns and on awkward bits we lifted it up to get to other trails and spots.

This is not for the penguin tour though, just the walk round the island itself which is about a 40 minute loop.

We went to see the penguins in the rescue on granite island when we were across in October. The access for that should be fine for a wheelchair but again, not sure about the island as a whole.

Yeah. We saw them there too, and if I remember rightly a wheelchair would be fine getting there.

I dnt think that the paths would be suitable for wheelchairs some times pretty hard on foot.

the penguin sanctuary area is pretty much as soon as you cross the bridge, you could eihter get the horse drawn carriage over or push the wheel chair over the bridge it aint that far tbh.

We walk around grnaite island a few times a years, some good pods of dolphin spotted hanging around, I think the food kiosk may be closed now tho, call to check or take some pack up with you, although we always have some German suasages form the stand in the middle of the park.

Have fun, we love Granite Island.

HG

Thanks everyone.

Really looking forward to it.

Have decided we will do as much as we can together then the family will disappear to look at the areas I can't reach and I will happily sit and watch the ocean till they get back.

So excited now, can't wait for September to come, let alone January when we come for good.

I'll suggest to plan to stop off at Goolwa when out down that way and see the pelicans coming in later in the day. Its a lovely sight if you can get out on the walkway and see them all on the water. Hundreds of them sometimes. I think the walkway locks the gate at 4pm but sometimes they are in before this but closer to the shore so easier to see. You can view from the shoreline with ease then. If they are all the way out in the middle its hard to get a good view of them.

Also when we were there last we saw a perigrine falcon and what looked an awful lot like a brown falcon.

Car park and toilets there also :)