I Don't Care What You Say...

Lazy Cow

.... I LOVE FOOTY!

I know it was 'just' the NAB Cup yesterday, but I love the game. :smile:

I've never taken to soccer, do not understand cricket, but I love footy. It's a fantastic game to watch.

If you are new, or even if you are not, I would urge you to give it a go.

It's (IMO!) a very important part of life here, and whether SANFL or AFL, offers a great family atmosphere.

Please don't make this thread into one of those " Oh, you don't know what you're talking about; it's nothing compared to soccer!" whines, because IDC! It's true I can't compare it, but then I'm not trying to.

This thread is simply about enjoying and embracing another unfamiliar part of life here.

:wubclub: LC

I love footy too, as do my OH and my youngest son. I've never been a big fan of soccer either but there is something about the footy that appeals to me. My OH always used to say soccer would be more exciting if the goals were much bigger and having watched footy I now understand where he is coming from. I would have loved to go the game yesterday but it was my youngest's birthday and we had already arranged a party for him before we knew about the game otherwise he would have been given the choice about which one he wanted to do. I'm looking forward to the season starting properly. Not sure how many AFL games we will get to but I'm hoping to go and see a fair few SANFL games. Hoping Norwood can win the season again this year.

Don't mind watching it on TV but my resolution this year is to go to an AFL game at the Oval - something I've not done in my (nearly) 11 years here so far. I love the Oval, and by all accounts the atmosphere at a close Power game is something to be seen.

We'd only been here 6 months or so when the children came home from school with some free Power tickets so we went to the game - didn't have a clue what was going on but it was fantastic :)

We watched most Power games on the TV last year and have said that we need to get to at least one at the Oval this season as well as a few local games - not sure if we'll head to Aldinga or Hickinbotham Oval. It's such a fast paced game that there's no time to be bored by it.

my resolution this year is to go to an AFL game at the Oval - and by all accounts the atmosphere at a close Power game is something to be seen.

The Oval is pretty cool. I couldn't imagine not being at Footy Park - all our memories were of there :frown: - but it's wonderful. I was quite surprised at how shabby AAMI looked when we went back on Sunday. We went for free a few times last year, but the prices are supposed to be pretty steep. Or perhaps I'm just tight lol!

As for the atmosphere at a Port game...well...:swoon::err:!

I've sat through it at my MIL house. Just as exciting as I find all sport lol.

There's something about watching sports live that you just don't get from TV. I find I get far more immersed in it at a game than I ever do watching it on a screen. Even my eldest son really gets in to the games when we are there but shows little interest at home.

That's exactly the right attitude (also :notworthy: @NicF and @flossybeth) and exactly what I mean; just go / watch with an open mind.

:notworthy:

LC

And that includes you, @Blossom! :wink::wubclub:

Be careful when you watch with an open mind as what you have in there is likely to have poured out by the 1st qtr, I would rather watch paint peel or male ballet dancers:tongue:. Try the real mans game - NRL:notworthy:

I am rather liking footy. Its grown on me since I met hubby back in 03 or so. I was in Adelaide when Port won the Grand Final that year and remember it being a great game. Slept through a quarter though as had jet lag :unsure:

Hubby and son are going to a few Crows games this year. They went to the NAB cup game last weekend too. We all go to our local team games a fair few times a season too. Glenelg Tigers is hubbys team and I enjoy watching them play. Not such a fan of the big knocks and spills but thankfully no replay over and over like on TV :confused:

I get the general gist, some of the rules make sense and apart from me missing the umpires running backwards all the time its all good.

Also we have the joyful Sunday morning footy starting soon :cute:

Be careful when you watch with an open mind as what you have in there is likely to have poured out by the 1st qtr, I would rather watch paint peel or male ballet dancers:tongue:. Try the real mans game - NRL:notworthy:

Fair sure I included the words, "This thread is simply about enjoying and embracing another unfamiliar part of life here", rather than inviting a discussion on the merits of one sport against another.

But I guess you can't help being the wrong side of the Barassi Line, so I'll let it go, @Keith & Linda :wink:

Hahahaha!

Fair sure I included the words, "This thread is simply about enjoying and embracing another unfamiliar part of life here", rather than inviting a discussion on the merits of one sport against another.

But I guess you can't help being the wrong side of the Barassi Line, so I'll let it go, @Keith & Linda :wink:

Hahahaha!

Just trying to guide people down the right track LC:wink:, but I can only lead the horse to the water, but I can't help it if my water is purer! therefore more pleasurable:tongue:

Just trying to guide people down the right track LC:wink:, but I can only lead the horse to the water, but I can't help it if my water is purer! therefore more pleasurable:tongue:

I can't quite believe you are claiming that anything about yourself is pure.....

:swoon: LC

We do them at work. As for any interest on here..well, I'm a bit meh, but I'll support it if it goes ahead.

:smile: LC

I already have a family group going on and am happy to stick to that. Just wondered if perhaps others on here might want to give it a go for a bit of fun. No biggie if not :)

• 2 weeks later...
Be careful when you watch with an open mind as what you have in there is likely to have poured out by the 1st qtr' date=' I would rather wtatch male ballet dancers:tongue:. Try the real mans game - NRL:notworthy:[/quote']

First time ive logged in for ages....just so busy enjoying life in this wonderful country but had to like and comment on this post! Went to watch Port get mullered by the swans last night and love AFL (despite Port last night!) But Rugby League is THE best game and I'd love it to be bigger in SA. Port and Souths.......Love it!

Well what's going on here LC, I got told off :policeman:for promoting the superior game as against that Arial pin pong thing, but good old goody goody TonyD:notworthy:.............it's not fair:arghh::huh:

A) Suck it up, princess! :tongue:

B) If TonyD actually goes for Port, then he probably has a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock, so there's no point admonishing him. :wink:

C) If you still feel you haven't had a fair shake, or that you've been victimised for being a banana bender, go tell someone who cares...like a Mod :policeman::wubclub:

Yours facetiously, and with love,

LC :tongue: