AFL Rules

OK!

anyway - after yesterdays game I'm a little wiser to a few rules of the game thanks to the bloke standing behind us telling his girlfriend what was going on but I'm still confused.... In the first 3 quarters they played over the 30 minutes because of the goals they'd scored (I'm assuming some sort of stoppage time) but then in the last quarter the siren went before 30 minutes was up (it wasn't far off (seconds really) but it wasn't 30) - why? there'd been goals scored in that quarter?

And also (this part is a moan) we bought tickets that had seat numbers on them but apparently this doesn't mean you get a seat; it's more of an indication of how many they've sold. So we got to the Oval with half hour before bounce/kick off/ the beginning of the game and weren't allowed into the area where our seat numbers were and ended up standing on the hill - which was OK (I reckon we got a better view) but I just hadn't known that we wouldn't have seats so weren't really prepared for standing for 3 hours.

The timer on the screen is an indication and not the actual timer. The quarter is 20 minutes but there is stoppage time whenever a goal is scored and possibly at other times (not so sure on this one). There were a few people around us that had there phones out to see the actual game timer that only counts the 20 minutes and stops when there is stoppage time so they knew when the quarter was going to end. I'm pretty sure when it's a Crows home game the timer on the screen includes the stoppage time but it's been a while since I've been to one so I could be wrong.

As for the seats well you can book reserved seating but you have to get in quick for a show down game. I got ours at 9:02am on the day they went on sale at 9:00am. When you book tickets online you will select either a classification (eg Silver A, Silver B, Gold etc) or general admission. If you select a classification you get a reserved seat but if you go general admission you are able to access a number of general admission areas but seats go on a first come first served basis. To get a decent seat in general admission you have to be there well before the gates open.

Oh, so the quarter is only 20 minutes...

And NicF - I booked the tickets by 9.10 the morning they went on sale - it was on our calendar, I had dropped the children early to school so I could be at the pc for 9am! it only took me so long because I was deciding between platinum seats or GA (and the price difference of $100) - what I didn't know was that GA (even with a seat number printed on the ticket) didn't guarantee an actual seat. Like I said though we probably had a better view standing on the Hill than if we'd got a seat right up in the top.

Oh, so the quarter is only 20 minutes...

And NicF - I booked the tickets by 9.10 the morning they went on sale - it was on our calendar, I had dropped the children early to school so I could be at the pc for 9am! it only took me so long because I was deciding between platinum seats or GA (and the price difference of $100) - what I didn't know was that GA (even with a seat number printed on the ticket) didn't guarantee an actual seat. Like I said though we probably had a better view standing on the Hill than if we'd got a seat right up in the top.

Well, at least you know next time that if you go general admission that you need to be there early to get a seat. We've been to loads of stuff at the Oval now and since the first time we went, when we were right at the top of the Riverbank Stand, we have always tried to get seats on the lower level as this is where my youngest (and I) prefer to be. We've been caught out with the general admission thing before as well, although we were able to get seats that time as it wasn't too busy (can't remember what it was we were going to see that time). Another time when general admission was all we could get we made sure we were at the Oval well before the gates opened and we managed to get seats near the front in the alcohol free area. For the show down I was determined to get allocated seats near the front on the eastern side so was online as soon as the tickets were released - we've been caught out with that before now as well and lost out on seats by being online more than two or three minutes after 9:00am. We had already had a look at the seating plan before tickets were released and worked out what classification we needed to be where we wanted to be. I don't think I could have coped with being on the hill on Sunday with all the people that were there, although I agree that the view would be better than being right at the back - as long as you didn't get someone really tall stood in front of you.

Well! I did not know that, thank you guys. We've been to the new oval but only as members etc so I thought nothing of it.

We used to go to Footy Park almost fortnightly, and we never had an issue as the seat numbers on our tickets would be where we'd sit.

I like to to rock up at the first siren, guess I won't be doing that if we have general admission tickets. That sucks.

:unsure: LC