It's certainly been a great success....our Festival State is living up to it's name.
Adelaide Festival takes $2.8 million at box office while Adelaide Fringe sells more than 600,000 tickets
March 13, 2016 1:20pmPatrick McDonaldChief Arts WriterThe Advertiser
Adelaide Festival artistic director David Sefton’s final event made $2.8 million at the box office. Picture: Matt Turner.
DAVID Sefton’s fourth and final Adelaide Festival has surpassed its box office target by $800,000 to achieve a total $2.8 million in ticket sales.
This year’s Adelaide Fringe also sold more than 600,000 tickets — an increase of 12 per cent on last year — despite complaints from some artists about poor attendances at their shows.
“The 2016 Festival has been outstanding, breaking records and presenting a world-class slate of Australian and exclusive international artists,’’ artistic director Mr Sefton said.
“I am extremely proud of my last hurrah.’’
Festival chief executive Karen Bryant said this year’s event, which featured 27 ticketed shows, had passed its box office target before it even opened.
“Previous trends of late ticket buying were reversed with people flocking to the box office early for the world-class Australian exclusives we had on offer,’’ Ms Bryant said.
“We saw some of the fastest moving shows ever, record book sales at Writers Week and some of the highest critical acclaim nationally of recent years. It has been a fabulous Festival.”
The Fringe’s three major outdoor hubs — the Garden of Unearthly Delights in Rundle Park, Gluttony in Rymill Park and Royal Croquet Club in Victoria Square — still dominated attendances, accounting for 60 per cent of total ticket sales, while other venues and independent artists attracted the remaining 40 per cent.
Fringe director Heather Croall attributed the success of her first year running the event to adventurous audiences, an impressive program, outstanding venues and her “amazing team’’.
“I would like to thank Adelaide audiences for their discerning taste and dedication,’’ Ms Croall said.
“It is extremely rare to find a city anywhere in the world that has the energy to come out every night of a month-long festival.’’