Adelaide Fringe 2016

snifter

Its starting soon!

Info on whats on and where can be found here

https://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/

Some of the more popular acts etc may have sold out already.

We've been to shows each year. Love the Garden of Unearthly Delights and Gluttony, even if its just to soak up the atmosphere, tents and decorations.

http://www.gardenofunearthlydelights.com.au/home/

http://www.gluttony.net.au/

We've booked a few shows :cute: Plus we'll have an evening wandering Gluttony and The Garden of Unearthly Delights for the atmosphere.

I didn't realise Julian Clary was going to be performing only a couple of nights and alas, they are sold out. Still, got some tickets to some interesting sounding shows. Here is hoping they are ok, always a bit of the unknown with some of the less well known names or people I've never heard :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

So, went to a stand up gig yesterday evening.

It was ok. It wasn't good. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't particularly funny either. OK, it was rather bad. Not dire enough to scoot out on though I did sit and feel guilty the entire 60 minutes that I was putting hubby through the show as I could see he wasn't liking it much.

Our sushi dinner was great though :yes: Yum

Husband is choosing the next one :unsure: He said no more no one we've never heard of unless its one of those stand up open mic nights in the pub or some such. It either has to be a name we've heard or we ain't going. So, its decided, I have terrible taste/judgement when it comes to making a blind call on a comedy gig going only on reviews on Chortle and the Fringe write up blurb :goofy:

Edited by snifter
eta

If any of you are nurses, try and see Georgie Carroll in her show Gauze & Effect. Actually, even if you're not a nurse...!!

The Best of British shows are good - you get three or four comedians so even if one isn't very good, you still have three other chances.

I'd love to go to Massaoke but it's a bit late for me :smile:

If people like classical guitar, Jonathon Prag is also playing at a few venues. My son's studying Classical Guitar at the Con so he's going along to that one.

We can only get along to family friendly shows but went to Le Petit Circus at The Peacock in Gluttony on Sat. The little ones were mesmerised and it was pitched at the right level for them ( all under 10), so was enjoyed all round. Great for anyone having an afternoon-evening out with young children. We are nopefully going to try to get back to a couple more in The Garden before it ends.

So, we are off to the Garden of Unearthly Delights later to see a kids show, Trash Test Dummies. Gets good reviews and we wanted to go last weekend but it was a stinker so we left it to this week. Having a meal out in the city somewhere too after (yay the Entertainment book will come in handy).

The Fringe season is almost over so if you've not been and checked it out, go have a wander over the weekend perhaps. Don't have to go to any shows, just to go wander the gardens and see all the side shows and so on is lovely.

Ooh we have friends from Sydney who saw Trash Test Dummies and said it was good last weekend. I went in to see a stand up show on Thurs and was a bit unsuccessful... We got half price tickets for a children's show in the Garden later..fingers crossed

Loved the Trash Test Dummies. Kids and parents were laughing lots and the 3 guys worked really hard for the hour long show. Lots of comedy, slap stick, acrobatics, juggling and more. Well worth the ticket price. In fact, they came out 10 minutes before the show was due to start and were goofing round with the audience as they came in and were waiting. Made it even better as it helped set the goofy mood and kids were already into it before actual show time.

Hope your show was good :) Can't mind the half price deal so long as it isn't a stinker :cute:

It's certainly been a great success....our Festival State is living up to it's name.

Adelaide Festival takes $2.8 million at box office while Adelaide Fringe sells more than 600,000 tickets

March 13, 2016 1:20pmPatrick McDonaldChief Arts WriterThe Advertiser

0e3da9a73ba42f51a8ac0e0926fbeb5f?width=650

Adelaide Festival artistic director David Sefton’s final event made $2.8 million at the box office. Picture: Matt Turner.

DAVID Sefton’s fourth and final Adelaide Festival has surpassed its box office target by $800,000 to achieve a total $2.8 million in ticket sales.

This year’s Adelaide Fringe also sold more than 600,000 tickets — an increase of 12 per cent on last year — despite complaints from some artists about poor attendances at their shows.

“The 2016 Festival has been outstanding, breaking records and presenting a world-class slate of Australian and exclusive international artists,’’ artistic director Mr Sefton said.

“I am extremely proud of my last hurrah.’’

Festival chief executive Karen Bryant said this year’s event, which featured 27 ticketed shows, had passed its box office target before it even opened.

“Previous trends of late ticket buying were reversed with people flocking to the box office early for the world-class Australian exclusives we had on offer,’’ Ms Bryant said.

“We saw some of the fastest moving shows ever, record book sales at Writers Week and some of the highest critical acclaim nationally of recent years. It has been a fabulous Festival.”

The Fringe’s three major outdoor hubs — the Garden of Unearthly Delights in Rundle Park, Gluttony in Rymill Park and Royal Croquet Club in Victoria Square — still dominated attendances, accounting for 60 per cent of total ticket sales, while other venues and independent artists attracted the remaining 40 per cent.

lluminating Adelaide

external?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent6.video.news.com.au%2Fxwb2RsMTE6ue5Uisat1zfmnBy0aqIOF0%2FDLOokYc8UKM-fB9H4xMDoxOjBtO_wVGe&width=650&api_key=kq7wnrk4eun47vz9c5xuj3mc

player

Fringe director Heather Croall attributed the success of her first year running the event to adventurous audiences, an impressive program, outstanding venues and her “amazing team’’.

“I would like to thank Adelaide audiences for their discerning taste and dedication,’’ Ms Croall said.

“It is extremely rare to find a city anywhere in the world that has the energy to come out every night of a month-long festival.’’

We saw the Trash Test Dummies yesterday. My guys weren't too impressed to be honest. I think they were a lovely bunch of guys who were talented but I think the show is aimed at younger children around 3-5 yrs. It would be helpful if the Fringe brochure gave approximate age suitability for childrens shows. Had a lovely day in The Garden though . Lovely atmosphere and so much to see and do. And lots to spend your hard earned cash on!

We saw the Trash Test Dummies yesterday. My guys weren't too impressed to be honest. I think they were a lovely bunch of guys who were talented but I think the show is aimed at younger children around 3-5 yrs. It would be helpful if the Fringe brochure gave approximate age suitability for childrens shows. Had a lovely day in The Garden though . Lovely atmosphere and so much to see and do. And lots to spend your hard earned cash on!

Its tough with the kids shows. We've seen some that feel pitched to older kids and some to younger. I tend to go on reviews and as they had good feedback I didn't mind taking a punt on a couple of tickets.

I agree, an age guide would be good in one way to help people trying to work out if it might be suitable but then the show we went to had lots of older kids too who were laughing and enjoying the fun. My son is almost 8 and was loving it. And older kids in front of us laughing lots. I'd say we had mostly 5's and over at our show but still plenty of younger ones too. If you narrow your audience with a small age range suggestion then many people who might enjoy the show may pass it by and never see it. I'd have passed it over if it had been listed as 3-5 age wise say. Given we (my son and I) both love slapstick and goofy silly stuff at almost 8 and 45 we had a great time. Plus they came out 10 minutes before show time and goofed around (I'm guessing they do this at other shows too) and got everyone giggling and feeling involved. I think it helped our crowd with the mood before the show started. Makes sense with lots of small kids sitting around waiting for showtime. Getting out there and running around a bit helped the mood.

We saw Erths dinosaur zoo a couple of years ago in a small tent at the Fringe (or was it the arts festival?) and it was ok but nothing amazing or really memorable. I'd not have said to people it was a must see then and probably have said age wise 5ish was a good age. Older and younger there though. Fast forward 2 years and they bring a bigger better produced show to the festival and hold it in Norwood concert hall and it was fab. Pitched at over 5's but kids of 10, 11 perhaps a bit older there too. And lots of younger ones also.

Even though we knew they were puppets kids and adults bought into it, loved the show and laughed lots at the commentary. We enjoyed it so much we went back to see their new production the prehistoric aquarium yesterday and my son and his friend loved it. Both said they enjoyed it more than the dino show. Again, was clear they were puppets but it was really well done and people just went with it all, were amazed at the things flying over their heads and were totally engrossed in the moment and the show.

Edited by snifter
typo

• 2 weeks later...
It's certainly been a great success....our Festival State is living up to it's name.

Adelaide Festival takes $2.8 million at box office while Adelaide Fringe sells more than 600,000 tickets

March 13, 2016 1:20pmPatrick McDonaldChief Arts WriterThe Advertiser

0e3da9a73ba42f51a8ac0e0926fbeb5f?width=650

Adelaide Festival artistic director David Sefton’s final event made $2.8 million at the box office. Picture: Matt Turner.

DAVID Sefton’s fourth and final Adelaide Festival has surpassed its box office target by $800,000 to achieve a total $2.8 million in ticket sales.

This year’s Adelaide Fringe also sold more than 600,000 tickets — an increase of 12 per cent on last year — despite complaints from some artists about poor attendances at their shows.

“The 2016 Festival has been outstanding, breaking records and presenting a world-class slate of Australian and exclusive international artists,’’ artistic director Mr Sefton said.

“I am extremely proud of my last hurrah.’’

Festival chief executive Karen Bryant said this year’s event, which featured 27 ticketed shows, had passed its box office target before it even opened.

“Previous trends of late ticket buying were reversed with people flocking to the box office early for the world-class Australian exclusives we had on offer,’’ Ms Bryant said.

“We saw some of the fastest moving shows ever, record book sales at Writers Week and some of the highest critical acclaim nationally of recent years. It has been a fabulous Festival.”

The Fringe’s three major outdoor hubs — the Garden of Unearthly Delights in Rundle Park, Gluttony in Rymill Park and Royal Croquet Club in Victoria Square — still dominated attendances, accounting for 60 per cent of total ticket sales, while other venues and independent artists attracted the remaining 40 per cent.

lluminating Adelaide

external?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent6.video.news.com.au%2Fxwb2RsMTE6ue5Uisat1zfmnBy0aqIOF0%2FDLOokYc8UKM-fB9H4xMDoxOjBtO_wVGe&width=650&api_key=kq7wnrk4eun47vz9c5xuj3mc

player

Fringe director Heather Croall attributed the success of her first year running the event to adventurous audiences, an impressive program, outstanding venues and her “amazing team’’.

“I would like to thank Adelaide audiences for their discerning taste and dedication,’’ Ms Croall said.

“It is extremely rare to find a city anywhere in the world that has the energy to come out every night of a month-long festival.’’

While the Adelaide Fringe was on we were having a meal in a restaurant close to the city and I casually asked the owner of the restaurant if they were busy because of the fringe, thinking people would be out and about having a meal and then heading into the city. I was quite surprised by the response and something I hadn't considered. The restaurant owner was very critical of the Fringe as they stated that long term established restaurants were struggling (guess it is another food trucks v established restaurants argument!) competing against an event that went on for a month, now every year (used to be every 2 years), and in the summer period, they stated that Glenelg restaurant takings were down by 40% and the Feb/March period was when the Glenelg restaurants needed to make their money to tide them over the winter months. They said unfortunately the idea of the Fringe is to herd everyone into the Garden, Croquet Club and Gluttony and get them to spend their money on food and drink in there. City venues were also affected as well. A friend who visits Leigh St quite often said it is usually pretty busy on Friday/Sat nights but while the Fringe was on they found it pretty quiet.

Edited by Jessica Berry