Fishing tips please

Guest Sion

Well I havent been fishing for about 20 years apart from the odd boat fishing trip with the lads from work in rhyl ,north wales.

I am trying to work out what type of rod and tackle to get ,I want to do some jetty fishing with the kids and some beach casting and rock fishing.

I saw a really cheap general 8ft rod and reel in kmart but are they total crap?

Any advice would be great .

Any info on fishing in the area in general would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sion

Guest philnjulie

hi have been with the kids a couple of times the best i can say is pop into a local tackle shop they always have deals on and they will point you in the right direction phil

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Sion,

We're going away this weekend with a friend who has promised to teach our son how to fish off a jetty. He suggested we buy a rod from KMart which we did yesterday. Bought 6' rod and reel for $9.49! Apparently the local tackle shop in Myponga, where we're going, sells the rest of what we need in kit form depending on what we want to try and catch. Our friend seems to think it will be adequate for an 11 yo beginner. Besides if he doesn't take to it we haven't spent too much on it.

Hedy

Guest katsmajic

Hi, the 8" g/p rod is fine to start with, thats what i got - and hubby nicks it!! so it cant be bad...

he got one initially then as i caught the bug i got one too...its simple to use, cheap and does the job - ive caught a fair few fishies on mine!

Hubby has bought another rod - for beach fishing etc but uses his g/p rod regularly.

Heaps good and Gra&Jac can advise more re the fishing...

i know i have a box of smelly fish bits in my freezer - squid, sand worms, mullet and 'catfood' all works here.

Guest Guest75

Hi Sion

I've done a little Beach and Jetty fishing here.Packed up as I always seem to attract nutters or trouble makes for some reason:confusedxmas:

So stuff I've bought a boat to keep away from em'

KMart do a lot of really cheap rod and reel combos.

Their general purpose stuff is OK - if you know what you are doing.

Can I recommend calling into your local tackle shop and chatting to them - lots of really useful advice and some good prices.

I call into "The Anglers Choice" down on Beach Road,Christies Beach.

In fact I'm becoming that much of a regular I get a coffee shoved in my hand now:winkxmas:

Great guys in there - family run and local.Speak to Scott or Mark and tell them you don't know much.Give them an idea of what you are prepared to spend.They won't rip you - and ask for the discount card as well.You can mention me they know me as Tyke - or Russell the Pom.They actively encourage new fisherman and families.

Look to do some Squidding off the jetties - great fun for the kids - POINT AWAY when unhooking or you will end up with a face full of ink!!

Keep going out and persist - when the tide is coming in can be the most productive.

Waitpinga Beach down south is supposed to be very good for Salmon - especially when it's windy :biggrinxmas:

Be persistant ,learn how the locals fish and do accept any advice given - even offrs of help.

I've recently joined Strike & Hook - a local fishing forum. They are very helpful indeed and actively encourage newcomers to the sport and forum.I've just recieved an offer to go out Snapper fishing on the other side of the gilf with a forum member.

Also SJS who post in here has started "Tight Lines" group ...........

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/group.php?groupid=4

Strike & Hook............

http://www.strikehook.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,78/

Enjoy.

:emoticon-signxmas:

Thanks for the advice,went to my local tackle shop today they were really helpful and friendly, going back in the morning to buy my stuff, cant wait to get fishing.

If the weather stays the same it will be just how I remember it back in the UK.

Cheers

Sion

Guest Guest75
Thanks for the advice,went to my local tackle shop today they were really helpful and friendly, going back in the morning to buy my stuff, cant wait to get fishing.

If the weather stays the same it will be just how I remember it back in the UK.

Cheers

Sion

Glad to hear you are going to get "tooled up" - enjoy.

In my previous post I did mention the wrong tackle shop,whichever you went to it sounds as if they looked after you:emoticon-signxmas::emoticon-signxmas:

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Tyke.

I was in The Anglers Choice the otherday grabbing some tackle and gotta agree with you there a great bunch of guys in there.

Went night fishing on christies beach thursday night and got my rod pulled out of its stand twice but coulnt hook the bugger.

So poped back in the shop and they set me up with some Size 5 hooks for stingray.

If you ever wanna pop down the beach for a fish give me a bell, im always up for getting some hooks wet.

Matt

Christies beach

Guest Guest75
G'day Tyke.

I was in The Anglers Choice the otherday grabbing some tackle and gotta agree with you there a great bunch of guys in there.

Went night fishing on christies beach thursday night and got my rod pulled out of its stand twice but coulnt hook the bugger.

So poped back in the shop and they set me up with some Size 5 hooks for stingray.

If you ever wanna pop down the beach for a fish give me a bell, im always up for getting some hooks wet.

Matt

Christies beach

I'm always in there at the moment,I'm still building up gear and trying to do it slowly.

Sounds like you had fun,you can catch more Rays at night down there.

Mind that sting though - if beaching one flip em' over with your boot first and then de- hook:biggrinxmas:

If I'm out onshore fishing I'll drop you a line :biggrinxmas:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Sounds good and thanks for the info bout flipping over stingers to get hooks out, didnt know about that.

Im just messing round with a 9ft uglystick untill all my gear arrives in about 10 weeks.

I expect ill see you in the shop .

Matt

Guest graandjac

I'am up for a night session at christies or southport , i have spotted rays at southport and have set a rod up to give them a bash.........so a PIA fishing bash.....??????

Guest cornish Busdriver

Im always up for a night fish, day fish or lunch time fish.

I always put back what i catch though coz i cant stand fish.

We should start our own beach and jetty club fishing on here

Could be a good laugh and get to meet new pomms.

Matt.

Christies Beach

Guest Guest75
Im always up for a night fish, day fish or lunch time fish.

I always put back what i catch though coz i cant stand fish.

We should start our own beach and jetty club fishing on here

Could be a good laugh and get to meet new pomms.

Matt.

Christies Beach

I'm with you on this.I must admit there is not much I like eiter.

One species I will be targeting is Flathead - similar flesh/taste to cod/haddock.

Apparently Snapper are good eating.:biggrinxmas:

Guest Guest75
I'am up for a night session at christies or southport , i have spotted rays at southport and have set a rod up to give them a bash.........so a PIA fishing bash.....??????

Might be an idea - I'm for jetty/breakwater fishing.

Just selling my beach rod.

I'm up for some of that, i wont be keeping any fish either,easier to go to the shop than gut and clean.

got my rod and a bit of tackle, its a 7ft nebula combo the guy in the shop said its a good starting outfit, only $59.

cheers

sion

Guest cornish Busdriver

Seems any tide is good for night, ive been fishing on highs and lows and had a great time on both.

Day time good as well, i go upto my waist in the water and had some good fun then as well.

Guest Guest75

Incoming tides are regarded as the best for fishing - the fish come in on the tide (well that's the theory)!

This week was some early evening tides.

have a look here - http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/oceanography/tides/tide_predications.cgi

Heaps - we have a "Gang" already - :wubclub:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/group.php?groupid=4

Can't promise to meet up but will try my bestest.,but might be at short notice.

Hoping to be out on the water tomorrow,going to be glassy out there.:biggrinxmas:

Another handy site for weather is this one.I do look at about 3 to get an average though as some sites can get it badly wrong at times.

Just wave your mouse pointer over the graphs for more info.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/sa.asp

Guest Guest75
Thanks for the links tyke.

Im off down christies beach tonight to get some hooks wet and hopefully hook a ray.

Matt

Good luck!!

Has the tackle store suggested what sort of rig to use??

:biggrinxmas::biggrinxmas:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Just back from fishing at christies beach and decided that 18lb line aint quite stong enough for stingray or whatever else it was the ran like hell then snapped me off. :))

All baits work realy well there.

Guest Guest75
Just back from fishing at christies beach and decided that 18lb line aint quite stong enough for stingray or whatever else it was the ran like hell then snapped me off. :))

All baits work realy well there.

:laughxmas:

It's the thrill of the chase that counts!!! - then the anticipation of the next trip!

Plenty of spring in the leader to "shock absorb" - or go braid,but then you will need some springy mono on.

Off out to play tomorrow,prolly off Hallett Cove and Marino.

Might have a go for some Snook,big ,bitey things:arghhxmas: