Hallett cove is winning!

JoeandCarrie

So I have spent the weekend researching suburbs surrounding Adelaide for a place to hopefully finally settle in and after everyone's suggestions on our previous thread. Seems it's all I ever do now! Anyway i had a look in some depth at Hallett cove and it seems to tick every box to what we are looking for; cheaper housing for a coastal suburb, family orientated, good train line (although if anyone has any first hand experience your opinions will be very helpful), coastal walks, great sense of community and travel time to be City is 35 mins? Is that how he crow flys? Again any suggestions are welcome and peak hours will always add time to a journey! We also like little cafes and markets so hopefully there will be a couple of local ones we can bimble about at on a nice weekend off. So if you have any experience of his seemingly wonderful suburb whether pros or cons please let us know.

cheers Joe

HC is ok. Decent train links to the city, serviced by four bus routes, reasonable selection of shops up at t'mall and a pub (don't hold your breath). All seems nice and clean. Broadband internet is a bit patchy - you probably won't get the full benefit of ADSL2+. HC beach is not all that though so don't expect to trip gaily down there to frolick in the sea and build sand castles. As usual though don't buy opposite a park as you might have after-hours noise issues from the local feral youth (there's always some and in HC they're usually English). Mind you I used to take the dog for a walk late at night and it was dead quiet. Any probs were usually up in the park behind the Lutheran church.

It's a nice suburb. The beach isn't a golden sandy beach and not really a swimming beach. More along the coast either way for that. Lovely conservation park. There are a decent range of shops, the usual suspects :)

Cafes and markets are usually a car ride away to another suburb or further even. There are cafés there but not many that I can think of. Markets we go to Brighton or Marion fortnightly and also up in the hills to some smaller towns like Stirling. Love those markets up in the hills. The cafe culture in the outer lying suburbs is IMHO not as good as the suburbs nearer the city. Sure, some nice cafés exist but not that many to choose from compared to other places. I can't think that Hallet Cove has it's own market but it may do. I've never gone to one there but they may happen.

To me it's a proper suburban suburb in that the residential streets are quiet, traffic is on the main road and the shops are mostly based in one place. The older city suburbs are more bustling, more vibrant with streets lending themselves to wandering along, browsing shops, cafés, restaurants and so on. Different type of suburban, more city feeling but still spacious.

I'd think rush hour would take longer to get into the city. You'll hit traffic down the hill and it then slows up.

As ever, once you get here, take some time to get your bearings, check out the suburb and others that appeal and see what you prefer. I'd not rush into settling somewhere in your head as when you finally see it in person it may seem very different. Hopefully you'll still be keen in which case great, get moving in ASAP :)

There are quite a few on here who live there and are very happy so it's obviously ticking boxes for them :) Hopefully for you too.

I liked Hallett Cove when we drive around it, although as Snifter said it is very suburban. It's also quite hilly. I'd definitely have a list of several suburbs to look round as what seems to tick all the boxes on paper may not feel right in person.

We arrived in May and have rented in hallett cove since June. I like it here, you seem to get more for your money house wise if you do end up buying. The shopping centre is good for the weekly shop and picking up a few bits and Noarlunga or Marion shopping centres are both close by for anything else.

As said the beach isn't sandy but that doesn't mean you can't go down and enjoy it, my kids love it and are just as happy exploring all the rocks, having a picnic down there, popping in to the boatshed cafe for ice cream as they are at any other beach. There's also a BBQ down there that we've used a few times for dinner and watching the sun go down.

It is very hilly though and does mean you can't really walk anywhere - I lasted 3 days when my husband started work before deciding that actually there was no way we could be a one car family!!

I think if you like to just take a walk and grab something to eat you'll prob best looking at some of the other places along the coast but if you're happy to jump in the car for 15 mins you can be in Brighton etc.

its definitely worth a look round and when we arrived it was certainly the area that had more properties available.

Guest Guest75
I was on holiday in Fiji and met an Australian who lived in Hallett Cove - she was complaining that her kids now spoke as if they'd been born and bred in northern england!! :biglaugh:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Why would she complain about that??

We live on the junction of two streets and know another two connecting streets very well.

We have (in no particular order folks) : Chinese, Indian,Greek,Pakistani Australian and not one Pom (Northern or southern) apart from ourselves directly.

In the further 2 streets there are 3 Pom families.

We know this area well and who lives there due to a Christmas street party we hosted.

There is one section of Hallett Cove that is fairly heavily populated by English people and that is due to the very narrow catchment area of some of the schools

Hallett Cove is a really popular area for new migrants. When we arrived it was a toss up between Seaford, Port Noarlunga and Hallett Cove.

It's a fairly large suburb with older established, and newer areas. Around 25% of the suburb comprise British migrants but that's not unusual as other suburbs like Christies Beach is about the same. There are more younger families in Hallett Cove though. The Hallett Cove shopping centre was recently upgraded and in my opinion it's an all round good suburb to live in.

Go with your feeling mate, its what you feel is right for you and your family only you can decide that, maybe its the right decision maybe it the wrong the decisions as you have made the decision then all will be good.

Onwards and upwards, good luck with everything.

let us know when your kids start talking with Manc or Yorkhire accents, that would be astonishing.

HG

Guest Guest75
Hallett Cove felt like being under house arrest to me.

We stayed for 5 months but only because we couldn't get out quicker.

Wouldn't change it though as it made us realise what we did want, everything for a reason.

Where do you live now?

Look it's a nice area but just wasn't for us, we were far south of HC so we were out of it a bit.

Amazing views but couldn't walk anywhere with the kids as the hills around there are so steep, we had to drive to absolutely everything. I don't like the suburbia of it, I.e. house after house after house with a shopping centre in the middle of it. There are a lot of POM's but that's not a bad thing, for some.

When we got here we drove around burbs and tbh I think we ended up deciding on HC because it looked/felt familiar, and there was loads of choice for rentals/buying.

We're in Willunga now, funny thing is when we got here and drove through it, we didn't like it. It was only from spending more time there, plus living in HC that we realised what we did and didn't like.

As someone has said previously, plenty settle there so it ticks boxes for a lot of people, just not us. I don't want to offend which is why I think a lot don't bother responding to topics like this, but I think it's good to read good and bad opinions.

Guest Guest75

Thanks for giving your slant on it Wubbledoos - if you like Willunga I can certainly see why HC was not working. We have friends in Willunga who are sooooo happy there.

No offense taken here!!! Good to have a balance!

We live at the very southern end of HC near Cove Point, it's amazingly quiet but out of the main area if you see what I mean:cute:

Hi guys,

we we arrived in Adelaide on Thursday and after house hunting non stop have also decided on hallet cove or sheidow park. Hallet cove has a lot of very feel to it and the shops / transport and amenities are all good. Beach is not great but only 5 mins drive to port Noarlunga beach which is lovely. Kids have been there everyday so far! Houses in hallet cove are of a good standard and reasonable rental prices. Definitely one of our top choices. Maybe meet up with you if you decide it's the area for you when you arrive?

carly x

• 2 weeks later...
Look it's a nice area but just wasn't for us, we were far south of HC so we were out of it a bit.

Amazing views but couldn't walk anywhere with the kids as the hills around there are so steep, we had to drive to absolutely everything. I don't like the suburbia of it, I.e. house after house after house with a shopping centre in the middle of it. There are a lot of POM's but that's not a bad thing, for some.

When we got here we drove around burbs and tbh I think we ended up deciding on HC because it looked/felt familiar, and there was loads of choice for rentals/buying.

We're in Willunga now, funny thing is when we got here and drove through it, we didn't like it. It was only from spending more time there, plus living in HC that we realised what we did and didn't like.

As someone has said previously, plenty settle there so it ticks boxes for a lot of people, just not us. I don't want to offend which is why I think a lot don't bother responding to topics like this, but I think it's good to read good and bad opinions.

Thank for explaining this. I never looked at it like that before. I just saw a coastal suburb and figured that it ticked the boxes but you have made some really important points. I never thought about the walking and hills and the distance to the shops. Puts things in perspective now. Ta