Flagstaff hill

Smithers

We have just bought another house in Flagstaff Hill, our third in the area. Have owned houses here since 2003 (not at the same time).

We don't have to go into the city very often, so the daily travel aspect doesn't worry us, but it does take about an hour to get to the northern suburbs, so I would hate to work that far away from here. There is an adequate bus service to Marion, the City, Belair Railway Station and Flinders, but it has its limitations.

Otherwise leafy green area, lots of trees, small bushfire risk, as there is in most of SA, but not anywhere like the Adelaide Hills. Pleasant, quiet residential area. Have to travel for entertainment, major shops and pools but we are only 15mins from Marion. Real shortage of good quality houses at the moment, so there must be demand, and the better ones do go quickly.

I feel it is very well to look at suburbs, but you do need to know where you will be working, because in Adelaide travelling long distances can impact greatly on your lifestyle.

I have a friend who lives up that way and commutes to the city every day. She drives in and usually gets to work by 8am to miss the worst of the traffic. I've never heard her complain about the trip and I don't think it's too bad outside of the main rush hour. From what I can gather from others who live over that way the main problem in a morning is West Terrance, and if you can avoid that it's fine. I wouldn't want to bus it to the CBD from Flagstaff Hill - it takes long enough from where I live - but there are direct buses to the CBD from there if you needed one. Obviously if you are not working in the city then you need to consider where you are working and what the commute would be like to there.

Looking at the fire district maps on the CFS website Flagstaff Hill seems to be in the Mount Lofty fire district which means it is at a slightly higher risk of bush fires but they are not a major concern generally for people in the area. The main thing with being in the Mount Lofty fire region rather than the metropolitan region is you will likely be subject to slightly more total fire bans. Unless you are a big fan of charcoal BBQs or open fires this is probably not going to be a major issue though.

Thanks both

how about travelling to beaches what would you say would be the best most local ones?

we passed through flagstaff on our reccie and liked what we saw,we are moving over from Bournemouth which as the new forest nearby

so liked the similarity. I will be looking for work as a painter so guess I won't have a fixed commute to work every day

it looks like there are some nice older houses up there, on decent blocks and pools etc not just fenced in to within 10 foot!

that appeals to us more

thanks again

My family and I live a little further along, in Happy Valley, where we have just bought our first house. THe house sits on a 1000m3 block, which is much better than 10 foot.

We really liked the whole post code really, which includes Flagstaff, Aberfoyle Park and Happy Valley. I drive up to Port Adelaide to work, which takes around 40 minutes, so not too bad. Beaches are fairly close, Brighton being the closest at around 15 mins drive. Shopping if I need it is at Marion Shopping centre, again around 15 mins drive. We live close to a shopping centre in Aberfoyle Park, so we have fast food and supermarkets really close by.

I really like it up here - love to be close to nature - kukaburras, koalas, kangaroos, etc.

Geoff.