Port Noarlunga, Seaford, Christies Beach etc

Zeebeth

We are heading over to Adelaide in 7 weeks (land on 2nd September). We have decided that the area around Port Noarlunga, Seaford and Christies Beach.

I'm hoping for some views and thoughts on the best areas around here to rent and any to avoid!

We are (well hubby is) really fussy when it comes to houses. We'd be looking for a detached house, in a nice neighbourhood (hubby said he doesn't want to be near social or integrated housing) ideally close to either Noarlunga or Seaford train station as we'll most like both end up working in the CBD and easy to get to the beach.

The good thing is we don't need to be near schools as we don't have kids and aren't planning any for a long time.

So what are the best areas and the worst?

We are heading over to Adelaide in 7 weeks (land on 2nd September). We have decided that the area around Port Noarlunga, Seaford and Christies Beach.

I'm hoping for some views and thoughts on the best areas around here to rent and any to avoid!

We are (well hubby is) really fussy when it comes to houses. We'd be looking for a detached house, in a nice neighbourhood (hubby said he doesn't want to be near social or integrated housing) ideally close to either Noarlunga or Seaford train station as we'll most like both end up working in the CBD and easy to get to the beach.

The good thing is we don't need to be near schools as we don't have kids and aren't planning any for a long time.

So what are the best areas and the worst?

WOW...this is a difficult one to answer. It's difficult to be honest without causing offence.:smile:

The suburbs can be a real mixture of different areas.

I live in Port Noarlunga but I also have a house and cottage in Christies Beach. You get really good areas with run down houses next to them and you get "poorer areas' where house proud people have upgraded their properties and streets.

There are housing trust properties in most of the suburbs...some have more than others. The new developments at Seaford Rise have a percentage of housing trust homes distributed throughout the new development and there have been threads on here regarding problem neighbours. That's not a swipe at Seaford...it's a great place to live but you can get socially problematic neighbours everywhere!

Christies Beach has a reputation from years ago but the area is undergoing massive regeneration with the older homes being demolished and new properties going up everywhere. It would be a generalisation to say that the Gulf View side of Christies is a problem...that's the side that borders OSullivans Beach but I would say that you would have to be careful and have a look at the neighbours (cars, furniture outside etc).

I live in a quiet road but have had a problem with a renter a couple of houses away which has just been sorted. You just don't know and the situation can change overnight.

I would say that Port Noarlunga, Christies, Seaford is pretty much like any other area...check out the house, check out the neighbours, and renters and or housing trust properties adjacent to where you want to live are a bit of a lottery.

There are suburbs around that have a very high percentage of social housing...avoid those if you can but it's not really possible to give you a general insight into roads to avoid until you get here and take a look. Make sure that you have a few weeks in your temporary furnished rental so that you can choose the property and choose the area without being pressured into taking anything on offer.

A very large percentage of people who move here do decide to live in Port Noarlunga, Christies, Seaford, Hallet Cove, Aberfoyle Park etc and thankfully problem neighbourhoods and neighbours are rare.

Wouldn't fancy the commute to the CBD everyday myself TBH, but people do it. You do get more for your money down there though.

second that with good and bad areas, even the Posh suburbs with $million + houses have some dodgy neighbours! Housing is generally more mixed as blocks are split for units and people build there own more. You cannot get a full impression from Google and street view.

we looked once at a lovely house, nice neighbourhood and not cheap but neighbours house was a mess with sofas on the front yard and old battered cars outside!

• 2 weeks later...

We visited the area in March and thought it was beautiful. We have also been doing online research in regards to house prices, amenities and transport, everything seems good to us.

The purpose of the thread was to get some views from people who have lived in the areas as sometimes although things can look good on paper and the area seem nice after a visit this isn't always the case, we have had this happen to is before