How to select suburbs based on high school preferrence

Faisal

Hi everyone!

We are moving to Adelaide in September. I have 3 daughters, 2 of them are of high school age. Our foremost preference is to get them to the best government school. We can select the suburb according to the schools selection. However, most of the top rated schools have closed for 2016. Can anyone suggest what should we do.

Thanks

Generally if you move in to the zone for a school on a permenant basis then the school has to find a place for you. However both Adelaide High and Glenunga are experiencing extreme pressure on places and they are being much stricter about school places. You would need to contact these schools directly to find out where you would stand if you moved in to the zone for the schools as it may depend on the year group your kids are in. Be aware if you got your kids in to these schools and then moved out of the zone you may be asked to move your kids from the schools.

As far as I am aware all other public schools are currently happy to accept new enrolments for children that move in to the school zone. You may need to prove that you were living in the zone permenantly by showing your lease for a rental property. Some schools may accept out of zone enrolments if they have places available but the only was to guarantee a place is to live in th school zone.

FWIW, there are other very good options state school wise you could explore. Without such specific rules to gain entry although the zoning policy will apply. And still in very good areas etc.

I did some reading recently on the HS admissions and Adelaide HS will accept a Y8 enrolment if you reside in the zone or can get on to one of their special programmes (lots of competition for those I'd imagine). However, it seems they expect the enrolment to follow on from a SA primary and done within the transition programme for Y7. And a few other things and enrolment closes in T3 early on. Other year groups are dependant on space and waiting lists and I'd expect the resident in the zone rules will apply. The PDF on it says

The enrolment of students at Adelaide High School must beconsistent with the following criteria, requirements andconditions:

The applying student: 1. Must be enrolled in a South Australian PrimarySchool at Year 7 level at the time that the student applies toenrol at the Adelaide High School (through the Year 7-8transition process administered by the Department ofEducation and Children’s Services) and must, in addition tothis criterion, meet one of the following criteria: (i) the student’s family’s primary place of residence islocated in the area bounded by Park Terrace,Fitzroy Terrace, Robe Terrace, Park Terrace,River Torrens, Winchester Street, PaynehamRoad, Wheaton Road, over to Janet Street,Portrush Road, Magill Road, North Terrace,Dequetteville Terrace, Fullarton Road, GreenhillRoad, the Glenelg tramline, South Road, RiverTorrens and Port Road. The student’s family’sprimary place of residence must be within thiszone at the time of the Department of Educationand Children’s Services Year 7-8 Transitionprocess, which concludes in week 4, term 3;

Glenunga won't let you enrol if you just move into the zone. Too many people do this, get kids into school and then high tail it out of living in the zone. It also seems they expect Y8 enrolments to reside and attend a SA primary and go through the transition programme. Their policy states

[h=1]How to Enrol[/h]As of 17 July 2015 Glenunga International High School (GIHS) reached student enrolment capacity. For 2016 the school will be unable to offer Year 9 - 12 enrolment placements to prospective students regardless if residing in or out of GIHS' zone except for students seeking entry at Year 10 for the International Baccalaureate Diploma which GIHS offers on behalf of DECD schools. Details of the Enrolment Capacity Management Plan can be found in the Education Gazzette. Families seeking enrolment at GIHS are directed to a neighbouring school or encouraged to remain at their current school. Applications can be placed on our register for enrolment and should a placement become available GIHS will contact the family (preference is given to families residing in GIHS' zone and the length of time the family has lived in the zone). If you would like to add your son/daughter on the register please email .....

NB:

All in zone Year 8 students are accepted prior to start of school year.

CRITERIA FOR ENROLMENTYear level: 8Applications for enrolment from parents of prospective Year 8students must be enrolled in a government or non-governmentprimary school in South Australia at the time parents apply forenrolment through the Year 7-8 transition process (administeredby the Department for Education and Child Development).The applicant must meet one of the following requirements tobe eligible for a Year 8 allocation through the Year 7-8 transitionprocess:• The child is living in the Glenunga International HighSchool zone;• The child has received and accepted an offer for specialentry by the school to participate in their selective entryIGNITE program;• The child currently has a sibling attending the school, or asibling who attended in the previous 12 months;• The child identifies as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanderthrough the Enter for Success program; and• The child is currently under the Guardianship of theMinister.Late Applications of Students Living in the School ZoneFamilies who move into the zone, or who are already living inthe zone but lodge their application for enrolment, after the Year7-8 transition process is completed (end of term 2), will have theirapplications considered if or when vacancies exist, with priorityconsideration afforded to those applicants already on the school’senrolment register.If no vacancies exist the applicants will be referred forenrolment to other neighbouring schools and placed on theenrolment register.

Thanks a lot for all details. However, as both my high school kids are girls of ages 14 and 12, they are more tilted towards going to 'All Girls School', which is Mitcham in case of Adelaide. Its website says it is unzoned school, so I believe there is no restriction of location to enroll in that school. My third daughter is 7 years, so if these 2 are admitted in Mitcham, then I can look for a better primary school. However, Mitcham is also closed for 2016.

Someone was telling me that this 'Admission Closed' status does not apply for newly migrated families, and school within the zone has to accommodate them anyway. Can you please confirm?

Thanks a lot for all details. However, as both my high school kids are girls of ages 14 and 12, they are more tilted towards going to 'All Girls School', which is Mitcham in case of Adelaide. Its website says it is unzoned school, so I believe there is no restriction of location to enroll in that school. My third daughter is 7 years, so if these 2 are admitted in Mitcham, then I can look for a better primary school. However, Mitcham is also closed for 2016.

Someone was telling me that this 'Admission Closed' status does not apply for newly migrated families, and school within the zone has to accommodate them anyway. Can you please confirm?

When is your 12 year old's birthday? Unless it's in the next few days (before end April) she will be in year 7 when you get here.

I wouldn't worry about the admissions closed status. This will just refer to the normal year 7 applications for starting in 2016. The applications for 2017 haven't started yet and would not apply for those who move in to the area at a later date anyway. I would contact the school and ask what the enrolment process would be for when you move over.

My second one will be 12 on 01 Sep 16. Is the admission strictly age based? or if she qualifies for higher class she can be taken in class 8 directly?

In that case she would be in year 6, not 7. Some schools may consider putting her in year 7 but she would be a lot younger than some of her class mates.

My second one will be 12 on 01 Sep 16. Is the admission strictly age based? or if she qualifies for higher class she can be taken in class 8 directly?

You really need to contact the school and enquire about this sort of thing. It may be they will consider it but only after assessment once she has enrolled and started school, it may be a straight out no, she has to go into her age year group regardless. It may be Mitcham is cautious about taking a new child mid year into Y8 without some idea of primary level etc and based just on her parents wishes.

As has been pointed out, she would be younger than lots of kids in the higher year group. Unless there is really a strong case for Y7 and the school supports this also I'd go with putting her into her own year group so she can be with kids her own age. Many schools won't bump a child up a year group without very good reason. Why the push to try to put her up a year? Its a new country, new education system and new way of doing things, which should all be taken into account.

http://www.mitchamgirlshs.sa.edu.au/contact/enrolments/

Heh, if you had Mitcham in mind I wish you'd have said in your first post and I'd have saved myself the typing and research earlier :cute:. It is an unzoned school but they do state the following on their website re intake for years 9-12

[h=4]Years 9 - 12[/h]For enrolment after the beginning of Year 8, parents should contact the school directly. As Mitcham Girls High School is not a zoned school, no student has right of entry. Rather, enrolment at Mitcham Girls is dependent on student numbers and class availability.

Anyways, you have set your sights on Mitcham. I suggest you contact them re enrolments as they do ask this on their website. The Y7 intake may be open to you but it may be as above if you've missed the enrolment procedure earlier on and only if they have spaces available. I don't know, its only a thought. If they don't and the Y7 intake quota is reached, it may be a wait list perhaps. Or looking elsewhere.

http://www.mitchamgirlshs.sa.edu.au/

If you are really keen on Mitcham Girls I would let your middle daughter go in to year 6 with kids her age and then apply for the school as part of the normal process in year 7. Personally I would be wary of putting a child in a year above their peers unless they are intellectually, socially and emotionally advanced. And I say that as the parent of a child assessed as gifted kept with his 'proper' year group.

Some high schools run programs for kids that are intellectually advanced that extends them educationally without putting them in with much older kids. There is the ignite program that takes kids from year 8 in three schools across Adelaide, but also schools run 'in house' programs as well. I know Norwood Morialta has a program that starts in year 10 (referred to as 10X) and I'm sure I have heard talk of similar programs in other schools, although they are not widely publicised.

I got your point i.e.

1. I should not try to adjust my daughters in advance classes.

2. I should try to approach Mitcham directly for my Sep 2002 daughter (will be 14 in Sep 2016)

3. I should focus on good primary school and the suburb accordingly, as Mitcham is unzoned.

Thanks for all the advice. I am honoured

I second NicF with keeping your children in their respective year groups; both our girls are 'up' a year and certainly for our eldest (currently in year 10 and not 15 until August) we're finding the gap socially opening up - a lot of her friends are finding part-time jobs, talking about driving etc and emotionally she's being pushed. She's coping academically and there's no way we can drop her a year and keep her at the same school; it just wouldn't be fair, but if we could go back to the start we'd definitely have moved the girls back down when we moved areas after our first year here (like we did with our son). We didn't ask for them to be put up when we arrived, the Prinicpal suggested that children arriving from the UK generally could keep up better that way so we went with his experience.

We're still debating quite what we're going to do with our youngest.

I got your point i.e.

1. I should not try to adjust my daughters in advance classes.

2. I should try to approach Mitcham directly for my Sep 2002 daughter (will be 14 in Sep 2016)

3. I should focus on good primary school and the suburb accordingly, as Mitcham is unzoned.

Thanks for all the advice. I am honoured

1. I would go with what the primary school says, but yes, I would suggest year 6 would be best for your middle daughter. It's much easier to move up a year if appropriate than drop back a year if it doesn't work out (see flossybeth's post above). And it would probably make getting her in to Mitcham in year 8 easier.

2. Yes. Your eldest daughter would be in year 8 and the school will be best placed to advise on the entry procedures.

3. Although the school is not zoned I would not plan to live too far away. I don't know what the entry requirements are for Mitcham but even if they don't mind if you are on the other side of Adelaide it would be a long journey for your kids to do every day. I would focus on primary schools within a short drive of the high school just from a practicality point of view, although this obviously depends on how far you are happy for your daughters to travel to school (some high school kids travel quite a distance to school here).

Just as aside I believe Mitcham Girls is a really good school, although having two boys it's not one I've paid much attention to. And in a nice area as well.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I'm interested in the advice on this post but wondering if someone can clarify for me. If my daughter is 14 on 0ct 26th (currently year 8) and we emigrate early 2017... would she be year 9?

Then my stepson who is 14, in Feb 2017 (currently year 8) and came early next year also. Would he be year 9?

Thank you