Fear of driving

Guest anne314

Guest anne314

If driving is as natural to you as breathing, you might want to skip this post because it might be too boring for you :wink:

But if you have (had) problems with driving, as I did, then please keep on reading.

I am originally from Holland: a very small and flat country. Great cycling culture, wonderful public transport and a car is not always necessary for day to day life. Since I started to obtain my driver's license at the age of 19, I was a bit scared of driving a car. Surprisingly, I passed my exam straight away and….. that is where it basically stopped. In the past 15 years I have probably been driving for about 10 times. I have been thinking about driving about 10 million times, though! The fear which I had of driving only increased over the years. Six years ago, when my boyfriend and I started working on our PR visa I knew I really had to learn to drive, since Australia isn’t flat nor small. I tried many things to get rid of the fear, but didn’t succeed.

Just before we left Holland I took a few driving lessons, and they were helpful, but after they were finished I still didn’t feel comfortable driving. When we arrived in Adelaide we started off in Hallett Cove, which is a great neighbourhood if you are scared of driving, since facilities are close by. I drove ones, and I was too scared to drive again. The amount of accidents I have seen in and around Adelaide, and some really bad driving, didn't help either. After two months we moved to Athelstone, which is not such a great neighbourhood if you don’t drive since facilities are much more spread out. So, I knew that I would either end up lonely here, or that I would really HAVE to drive.

I realised I had to change my perception of driving. I also knew I had to stop being ashamed of it and that I should stop beating myself up about it. I started making very small steps towards driving. ‘Little progress, is still progress’ I told myself. So, after a few weeks of gradually getting more and more familiar with my car…. I am DRIVING now!!!! And boy, words can’t describe how wonderful it feels to really overcome my deepest fear….. it feels SO GOOD!!! :jiggy:

So, If you recognise anything from my story, please don’t give up! Find your own way of conquering your fear, and I wish you all the best on those journeys ahead :smile:

Edited by anne314

What a great story, well done for facing your fears, and I'm so happy you've succeeded. My daughter actually learnt to drive in and around Athelstone and is currently in the UK - I have just been asked by the friends she's staying with if I am happy for her to drive in Essex, and have to say it's a pretty terrifying prospect! At least around Adelaide the speeds are fairly sensible and the roads are nice and wide - the thought of her driving on narrow country lanes or roads like the A130 or A12 in Essex is truly scary!!

What a great story, well done for facing your fears, and I'm so happy you've succeeded. My daughter actually learnt to drive in and around Athelstone and is currently in the UK - I have just been asked by the friends she's staying with if I am happy for her to drive in Essex, and have to say it's a pretty terrifying prospect! At least around Adelaide the speeds are fairly sensible and the roads are nice and wide - the thought of her driving on narrow country lanes or roads like the A130 or A12 in Essex is truly scary!!

The craziest thing about the A12 is speeding along at 70 mph and then suddenly encountering a tractor! (no restrictions like on a motorway!)

I'd feel safer with Essex drivers (over Adelaide drivers) any day though!

To the Poster - well done and just take one step at a time. When you start driving in a car on your own for the first time it is very scary, but the more you do it the easier it gets. My worst moment was going to a petrol station for the first time - I parked so far away from the pump I had to get back in the car and re-position it - so embarrasing!

Edited by Anne B

The craziest thing about the A12 is speeding along at 70 mph and then suddenly encountering a tractor! (no restrictions like on a motorway!)

I'd feel safer with Essex drivers (over Adelaide drivers) any day though!

What scares me about roads like the A12 is the way people drive at 80 mph about two inches from the car in front of them! At least here the most you are dealing with usually is 37 mph!

Guest wijaya

Hi Anne

thanks for the post. I will show this to my wife, who had the "same" problem as you. I am now supervising her for the driving, and we spent plenty of time in the car aguing to and fro n how to enjoy driving and the benefit of it.. The problem with her is that she doesn't have a good memory of recognising roads. So almost everyday, when we drive she barely recognises the route even though we just passed them a day ago. So we spend hours and hours driving for example from home to her work place, so she would be able to remember them. .But we are getting there. She has been in intensive learning mood for the last two months because the L plate expires in November, so hopefully, in the next six months, she will have confidence to take the test.

kind regards

As the Aussies would say "good on ya". It took me 7 times to pass my driving test in the UK when I was a teenager, it was never the same thing, I just hate tests!! I never gave up though and now I reckon I am a pretty good driver. Don't worry what people think, I could not care less what people think and you will do fine. I reckon driving over here in an automatic car is easy as!

Well done on conquering your fear! I HATE driving too, only learnt when I moved out of London to Devon and I had small children to ferry around. I am still pretty scared of driving on "big" roads - sounds so lame typing that! But, I too will have to just get on with it when we move over to Adelaide as we are hoping to move to the Hills. Thanks for sharing your success!

Congratulations. It took me a few goes before I got my drivers licence and I remember well the fear of driving, although it was a long while ago now that I got my licence. I used to look at all the cars and feel like they were coming at me. If anyone wanted to talk to me while driving I would get terrified cause I couldn't do both, but it does get better with practice and you only do what you feel comfortable doing.

Guest foxesonthemove

Congratulations Anne, what a great story and one I can completely relate to. I haven't driven for over 10 years, but we are moving over to Adelaide next year and I know I won't be able to avoid it then. At the moment I walk, use public transport and rely on my husband but with 2 young children I know I am going to have to overcome the fear in order for our move to be successful. I think I am going to have some refresher lessons before we come over and like you say just take small steps and hopefully like you get back behind the wheel!

Alex

Guest brianlynnette

this has give me hope, i started learning before we come here and im so badly wanting to learn but the thought actually terrifies me, i no when i can drive that ill have a ball when the kids are off school and my fella in work but just cant seem to get a grip with my fears :( x

Hi there,

I come from Guernsey in the Channel Islands, which has a 35mph speed limit, no dual carriageways and no motorways so when we came here for our reccie i was petrified of driving!!! We made the move in April last year and within a week I was driving here, there and everywhere!!!

it is very daunting to start with, but once you get used to it, it is good.

Jo

Guest PaulandVicky

British drivers are better drivers (in relation to) we have had lessons taught by experienced instructors. Here anyone can sit with the person and give "lessons" and accumulate the "hours" needed and there's no test. I must admit not having the test is good in some ways as people do freeze at the thought of tests... But, how do road users know if others are as "qualified" and "experience"....Answer: You just stay out there way!!

My gripes: cars sitting merrily in your blind spot, undertaking, over-taking to get in front of you - although there was plenty of gap behind, plus, after pulling in front of you - and then slowing down!! It's like they get you in a trap!. Large Lorries driving driving at ridiculous spreads, cars up your backside (especially women!!)

I had this once: some woman pulled out onto main north road, into the middle lane, decided to STOP to wait for cars that were flowing past on the outside (so she could get into that lane). In the meantime I'm coming down at 70k blibbing my horn - to let her know she's in my way. As i was moving around her and as she finally got into her lane, started screaming and cussing at me!!! At least i think she was, there were lips, hands, fingers moving very fast....which im sure its not normal to do when driving - or maybe it is??? he he...Crazy times!!!

You will be fine x