Minibus from airport to CBD

Rammygirl

There are normally loads of taxis at the airport of which many are huge estate cars and minibuses. There is normally a person who calls the taxis up according to how many people need carrying. We had 4 people plus lots of luggage and had no problems when we came back from Holiday a few years ago.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Thanks just thought we would get a better deal if we booked ahead. Also want to be sure without hanging around too long.

Nope.....the taxi's here are metered, i'm fairly sure that you cannot even book one to get you just use off the rank. How many people are you?, there are maxi cabs sometimes there and lots of the taxi's around are fairly huge anyway.

I guess if you seriously have too much stuff they might make you get 2 cars?

Good luck c&t xxx

There were plenty of taxis at the airport when we arrived on a flight from Birmingham via Dubai at 10pm. We were given a large mini bus type one for 3 of us and lots of luggage. So you should be ok when you arrive. The taxi rank is easy enough to find.

Good luck & safe journey

Edited by evojoan

Nope.....the taxi's here are metered, i'm fairly sure that you cannot even book one to get you just use off the rank. How many people are you?, there are maxi cabs sometimes there and lots of the taxi's around are fairly huge anyway.

I guess if you seriously have too much stuff they might make you get 2 cars?

Good luck c&t xxx

I meant booking a private hire. We won't get into even a big estate cab because of the bike bag plus luggage. I know in UK that a pre booked private hire is much cheaper than a cab from the airport rank. Assumed it was the same in SA.

Anybody know now how much a mini bus from the rank would be, and do they charge extra for baggage as in some cities.

Been to Adelaide many times but never taken a cab, always had a hire car from the start, not doing this time as picking up our own car the next day.

Edited by Rammygirl

I guess there is much different in price between taxis and private hire from airport to CBD, it's because it's not a long distance. I guess probably around 20-30 dollar. Probably worth private prebooked hire if the distance is longer towards suburbs.. So as others says, taxi from the aiport probably a big one is the easiest option.

I meant booking a private hire. We won't get into even a big estate cab because of the bike bag plus luggage. I know in UK that a pre booked private hire is much cheaper than a cab from the airport rank. Assumed it was the same in SA.

Anybody know now how much a mini bus from the rank would be, and do they charge extra for baggage as in some cities.

Been to Adelaide many times but never taken a cab, always had a hire car from the start, not doing this time as picking up our own car the next day.

We don't really have mini cabs here in Adelaide. There are private hire firms who collect you from the airport but the cost is about the same as a taxi. As others have mentioned there are taxis, and a lot of them,that will have enough room for you and the bike. If there isn't one in the rank, just call ahead, I think there is phone to use straight to the taxi company.

As for the cost, it's dependant on where you are going.

EDIT: It's a maxi cab you need.

Edited by adelaidenow

I am sure you'd be ok if you used the airport taxis.

We came back from our last holiday with a full-size wheelchair plus two huuuuge suitcases (daughter bought a whole heap of books lol!) plus two 'normal' cases and a couple of bags and backpacks. The guy kinda allocating the taxis (at the head of the rank) got us a cab in a heartbeat and there was so much room...it was obv no stranger to wheelchairs lol!

If you are still keen on investigating the pre-booking route, I found these numbers on the 'net:

http://www.aitaxis.com.au/pages/maxi-taxis

http://www.comecruisen.com.au/airport-transfers/

I do think it's a good idea to have an idea of where you are going, in terms of distance and route taken, because cab drivers have their own way and it can mean a difference of $10's! A friend of ours racked up a bill of almost $80 for a weekday arvo airport - Aberfoyle Park cab drive. The driver remarked that the area looked posh (you've got to be kidding me!), he paid by card and, soooo stupidly, didn't check the total until his credit card statement came in. I check the route they're intending to take as we leave the airport / house but I'm suspicious like that lol!

:wubclub: LC

Thanks everyone. I actually got a quote back from a private hire firm for a mini bus $45 to our address. Seems like just getting a cab from the airport rank will be just as cheap as you all say.

will go with the majority vote !

Not been on here for a while but knew I could rely on you all for local advice

thanks again

• 1 month later...

Well just to update we went for the go to the rank at the airport rather than booking ahead.

they tried to get us into one of the big cabs but as I suspected we didn't fit. Especially as I wouldn't let them force the road bike in!

mind you if there wasn't a huge spare wheel in the boot......

anyway they then whistled up a minivan and after a short wait we were on our way. $25 it cost

So good advice, thanks.

Edited by Rammygirl
Fed up of autocorrect thinking it knows better than me!