Car questions!!!

JoeandCarrie

Hi guys Joe here, so we've asked a few questions regarding nice suburbs to live on the real estate thread to which we had loads of suggestions so thanks guys and now I'm looking into the dreaded topic of cars! Obviously it's going to be a priority to get one asap when we arrive so I would just like to get people's knowledge,opinions and experiences etc of buying a car in Adelaide. Would a ute be ideal? Are there any pitfalls to look out for? Do you need an MOT once a year like the UK? What's the rego system? A friend of mine migrated to Adelaide last year and has recently got himself a Nissan navara for the hefty sum of $42,000 on lease which to me seems silly getting yourself tied up in that sum of money so quickly! He said its hassle free and reliable driving for the next ten years though I'm not so sure!! Obviously I'd want a reliable motor but not at that expense!! As always any help is appreciated guys! Cheers Joe

There is no MOT here. Rego we now pay every 3 months online iirc.

Personally I'd not splash too much on a car when first arriving but others may say different. We spent $6,000 on a 2005 car when we arrived in Oct 2013. Had FSH, 11 months rego, low mileage for its age. Could not have asked for more really. There are other things that will see your money go down the plughole soon enough so buy a decent runner to start you off but don't go blowing a mass of cash IMO. I'd not get a ute unless you would need it for work reasons but that is just me. I like a car I can have passengers in and that has options of folding seats down to fit stuff, a towbar for a trailer and all that. Our car is still with us, has a regular service, needed a couple of new parts recently and will need new brake pads etc at the next service I would reckon. But given its done a big chunk of miles since we bought it its been very good value for money. No plans to part with it as its still a great car, comfy, air con that works well and its not expensive to run or maintain on the scale of things.

Its the sort of car we can keep for a fair few years now and when we are ready we'll buy something newer and more expensive but not really any need to splash masses of cash on anything too big or fancy. Would cost too much. I think cars are hideously expensive here. Of course there are reasons for it but given the same car in the UK would have not even cost £2000, I find it hard to think about forking out so much for them over here.

ETA - Make sure you get a copy of your no claims letter proof sent to you from your insurance company as some insurers here do accept it. Ours did. Also we have RAA cover.

Hi snifter

Thanks for the swift response mate! That's good then not having to worry about an MOT every year! So a rego is that like car tax here in the UK and is it better to buy a car with one as its a hassle to obtain if not? I'm looking at getting the missus a little micra to start with nothing fancy and good mpg for getting to the children's hospital in North Adelaide. They are going for around $5k-$6k for an up together one on gumtree and myself, well whatever's around cheap! Will probably be some type of ute for work purposes but they vary quite a lot from what I have researched! Any tips on which ones to avoid or be looking towards?

Thanks Joe

That's good then not having to worry about an MOT every year!...........Will probably be some type of ute for work purposes but they vary quite a lot from what I have researched! Any tips on which ones to avoid or be looking towards

Well it's good not to have to get an MOT each year but on the other hand that results in some dodgy cars on the road that really shouldn't be. Part of it is that there's nowhere near as much rust decay on Aussie cars so none look overly bad even though there can be parts in dire need of attention underneath. Join the RAA, get a vehicle inspection report, use common sense and you should be good.

As to what to avoid, Nissan 3 litre diesel engines (GU Patrol etc) apparently have a habit of letting go for no reason at all - google "Nissan grenade engine" and the 4x4 forums for more info. If you see one of these make sure it has had the anti-grenade mod done.

Hi sidestep

yes I could imagine some cars aren't fit for road use mate as with everything in life you give some people an inch they'll take a mile. Handy to know about the engines though. I'm going to probably look more at Mitsubishi pajero type motors to start with as they don't seem to be as pricey as pick up trucks, I can fit things in the back to get away for the weekend with the duchess and still have the benefit of 4 wheel drive. Like snifter said money's going to fly out the wallet on arrival so I have to be quite realistic! The RAA sounds a good idea for myself as I'm not massively mechanically minded! Is it one off payments or monthly for membership?

cheers Joe

I'm going to probably look more at Mitsubishi pajero type motors to start with as they don't seem to be as pricey as pick up trucks, I can fit things in the back to get away for the weekend with the duchess and still have the benefit of 4 wheel drive. Like snifter said money's going to fly out the wallet on arrival so I have to be quite realistic! The RAA sounds a good idea for myself as I'm not massively mechanically minded! Is it one off payments or monthly for membership?

cheers Joe

Yeah the Paj is pretty good. I've got a petrol NK and the engines are reasonably well thought of. Just make sure it's had the timing belt replaced as it'll cost around $2000 to have done if not. Supposed to be every 100k. Also the water pump should be replaced at the same time regardless as it's behind the timing belt. The useless idiot just off Marion Rd that did my belt two years ago didn't do the pump so after only 20k I had to shell out another $2000 just for his incompetence.

Why ask if a ute would be ideal. Are you a tradie? or a farmer? It depends on what you're going to use the vehicle for. I bought a 2005 Ford Falcon and had it put on gas (Duel fuel) It's now just coming up to 100,000klm on the clock and I've not had any problems with it. Foe a big car, it's very cheap to run and spacious enough for most things. If you're thinking in terms of a 4 X 4, think of the cost of tires. Not cheap here. To have a diesel engine worked on is also pretty costly. Think carefully and keep asking, 'What am I going to use it for' rather than what looks cool.