Do I need an Australian license to buy a new car?

etch123

Hi guys,

Just wanted to check if I need an Australian driving license to buy a new car, for registration purposes. I have my Sri Lankan license and I thought I could buy a car and get my Ausi License with 3 months. But the dealer says I need to have a Ausi license.....

Thanks

Thought so too, He says I may need one because its a new/unregistered car. But Ive told him that heed needs to double check.

You don't need a license to buy a car, just photo ID, but when you register a car I believe in Adelaide they ask for a license, you have a license and as Blossom says if you are on a temp visa you do not have to legally change it over, I'm not sure if it's not in English though.

Hi guys, seems a little complicated than I thought, I will need to furnish my lease agreement to register the vehicle, as I have yet to find a permanent accommodation this may be an issue, after a call to services sa, this is what We found on line.

to register a new vehicle you need:

- International driver’s license

- Identification – either one from Category A and 2 from Category B, or 2 from A and 1 from B, http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/motoring/drivers-and-licences/maintaining-and-updating-your-driver-s-licence/evidence-of-identity#title3

See link for details but I think you can give them the following

o Category A ID:

§ Passport

§ Copy of your SL birth certificate (English translation obviously)

o Category B ID:

§ Something that has a signature on it (so a credit or debit card, does your Commbank card have a signature on the back?)

If for some reason the above doesn’t satisfy their requirements they may ask you to fill in a Proof of ID form.

- Proof of residential address:

o Lease contract, or

o Complete a “Evidence of Residential Address form” (form #MR592). They don’t have this on their website so you’ll need to pick one up from a Service SA centre

It needs to be completed by the owner of the accommodation you’re staying at, they need to have a current SA driver’s license. The form will ask for your address, details of the person completing it and the reason why you cannot provide a lease agreement.

Hi guys, seems a little complicated than I thought, I will need to furnish my lease agreement to register the vehicle, as I have yet to find a permanent accommodation this may be an issue, after a call to services sa, this is what We found on line.

- Identification – either one from Category A and 2 from Category B, or 2 from A and 1 from B, http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/motoring/drivers-and-licences/maintaining-and-updating-your-driver-s-licence/evidence-of-identity#title3

o Category A ID:

§ Passport

o Category B ID:

§ Something that has a signature on it (so a credit or debit card, does your Commbank card have a signature on the back?)

If for some reason the above doesn’t satisfy their requirements they may ask you to fill in a Proof of ID form.

o Lease contract, or

o Complete a “Evidence of Residential Address form” (form #MR592). They don’t have this on their website so you’ll need to pick one up from a Service SA centre

It needs to be completed by the owner of the accommodation you’re staying at, they need to have a current SA driver’s license. The form will ask for your address, details of the person completing it and the reason why you cannot provide a lease agreement.

I thought they come with 3 months rego or at least some rego on. I'm sure you'll have time to find a place before it expires.

We bought our car with 11 months rego on it. The dealer we bought from put 3 months on as standard to go with all their cars.

Guest Guest14361

o Category A ID:

§ Passport

o Category B ID:

o Lease contract, or

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the word lease agreement is mentioned in the first paragraph, this is probably why they want a drivers licence and everything else for ID requirements, they won't lease a car until everything has been verified, remember they are parting with a, I presume, $20k+ car.

when they say furnish the lease agreement I think that means funds have to be available in the agreement

Edited by Guest14361

o Category A ID:

§ Passport

o Category B ID:

o Lease contract, or

They say this in Victoria but they understand you may not be renting. So I know you can do a stat dec to say where you are living.

Have you applied for a medicare card yet? This works as ID, as will a credit card. Does a Sri Lanka license have a photo attached, if so this will work as well.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the word lease agreement is mentioned in the first paragraph, this is probably why they want a drivers licence and everything else for ID requirements, they won't lease a car until everything has been verified, remember they are parting with a, I presume, $20k+ car

I think he means a house lease, I may be wrong but I know in Victoria they ask for a copy of your lease

Snifter - was that in addition to your 11 months? If so how did that work? Did you go back when yours was expiring and have it added on? Just curious because we negotiated 3 months on our "new" car but they're being a bit funny about when they can add it on.

lol no, most of the rego from cars they have has run out so they put it on when they sell them. I didn't word that too well lol did I. All other cars they sell. Our car had come into them a few days before with 11 months on it and as we knew them it was kind of a favour to us :)

Basically looking to buy a brand new car from Toyota (with cash) so no lease (and negotiated 12 months Rego to be included in the drive away price), they mean lease agreement as in for the house. Either way I've already wired over a deposit and the car will arrive at cmi Toyota a day or two before we arrive, wanted to drive it off on the same day we arrived, looks like I'll need to do some running around to sort this out......[emoji53]

Basically looking to buy a brand new car from Toyota (with cash) so no lease (and negotiated 12 months Rego to be included in the drive away price), they mean lease agreement as in for the house. Either way I've already wired over a deposit and the car will arrive at cmi Toyota a day or two before we arrive, wanted to drive it off on the same day we arrived, looks like I'll need to do some running around to sort this out......[emoji53]

Won't your short term rental suffice?

I'm just saying that the dealer could be more helpful here. If they want to make a customer happy they should do some legwork for you instead of just quoting their standard pitch. If you need a car from day one but you can't get it sorted then maybe they could help. I know the VW dealer I bought from did.

Yes you will need some id but my car was registered at a temp address. A short term holiday let in fact. We then changed licenses and rego when we moved. Don't remember having to get landlord to sign any documents. Often when you talk to service SA a human will understand and work a way round a problem.

I'm just saying that the dealer could be more helpful here. If they want to make a customer happy they should do some legwork for you instead of just quoting their standard pitch. If you need a car from day one but you can't get it sorted then maybe they could help. I know the VW dealer I bought from did.

Yes you will need some id but my car was registered at a temp address. A short term holiday let in fact. We then changed licenses and rego when we moved. Don't remember having to get landlord to sign any documents. Often when you talk to service SA a human will understand and work a way round a problem.

Thanks Rammygirl, agree with you 100%. I guess I'll know when we land in a few weeks time....