Car Insurance Inc in rego

wubbledoos

We insured fully comp. I want to know we'll be covered for all aspects and having seen quite a number of the tailgating crashes and intersection ones here since we arrived I am happy to keep paying it. We used our UK no claims fine, got decent cover. Cars cost more here and no way do I want to be stuffed without one for long.

Can't comment on the insurance rego thing. My hubby bought and registered our car in his name but I drive it. He drives it about once a month. We got fully comp cover for us both the day we bought it so never just had the rego.

The only time I'd consider just going with rego 3rd party is if I paid less than say $1000-1,500 for it. But even then I'd probaby want better insurance.

Not only are you and your car not covered, but if you have an at fault accident, you are not covered for the other persons car! It only covers injury to people, not property. You can get just third party property insurance for about $15 a month. I don't think its worth considering driving without it. You never know what could happen, and Sod's law the one time it does it will be a Ferrari.

A high proportion of sa drivers don't have fully comp insurance and rely on the insurance included in the rego.

We have fully comp on our vehicles. Since the insurance on rego doesn't cover damage to vehicles or property, I personally think you'd have to be pretty optimistic not to have 'proper' insurance!

My son is aiming to build up his own insurance, so his car (when he gets it) will be mega-cheap and only have Third Party. Third Party won't cover his vehicle, but at least he will be covered financially if he is at fault in an accident.

I know of an elderly couple who didn't have insurance, had an accident, and last I heard were trying to raise money to pay for the damage he'd caused to the other person's car.

:unsure: LC

We have comprehensive cover on our cars but a few years ago when we were driving an older car and the premiums were too high we took out 3rd Party Property with an insurance company (not the one that is included in the rego) as it covers the other car if you have an accident but doesn't cover yours. It is quite cheap so I would recommend it. The only problem with this is that when we did eventually sell the car and got a new one that the new insurance cover would not recognise the no claim bonus on that car so we would have started at the top ladder of the premium (luckily we had another car that we had a good rating on so could use that)

3rd Party Property ....The only problem with this is that when we did eventually sell the car and got a new one that the new insurance cover would not recognise the no claim bonus on that car so we would have started at the top ladder of the premium

I had no idea! We've been blithely saying he'd build up his own no-claims, and that is obviously not the case :( Thank you for that, Toni :notworthy:

I wish the the rego insurance was called something more explicit that 'third party' because it's really way more limited than the title would suggest.

Off to the footy!

LC

PS. I've just read Blossom's post! My optimism is back up, but I'm going to make sure I ask the question when we accept a quote. Thank you Blossom! :notworthy:!

Edited by Lazy Cow