2002 Holden Statesman - anyone know much about them?

richard300

With just over a week to go, before we land in Adelaide - I am shortlisting cars to view.

I should go for something practical, economical etc, etc....... But thats not really me, when it comes to cars.

Here in the UK my wife always has the new car and over the last few years i have taken to driving older, comfy barge (old Jags, that kind of thing) type cars.

The budget for my car (which initially will be our only car) will be $5500 - Which really doesn't buy much.

However, i have seen this car advertised:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/old-reynella/cars-vans-utes/2002-holden-whii-statesman-sedan/1073289681

And it looks like something i could happily waft around in - Its hansom (in its own kind of way) has lots of equipment and looks relatively understated.

I know it has 250k on the odometer, but then everything thing i look at seems to have 250k on the odometer.

Does anyone know much about these cars? And specifically the engine? Is it belt or chain driven? does it have any inherent issues, like head gasket failure, water pump issues, etc? Are the gearboxes strong?

I am assuming that one must be incredibly thorough when inspecting a car in SA as there is no annual inspection for road worthiness??

I also meant to ask - does this car have any image issues?? I only ask, as originally i was going to short list VT Commodores in SS specification (V6 or V8) but i received a lot of feedback (on Pistonheads) that they have a very bad image, likened to a chav'd Citroen Saxo, here in the UK??

I dont want to be looking like Barry big wheels when i pull upto a job interview.

Edited by richard300

Guest Guest14361

Nice big roomy cars, being a V6 rego will cost abit more than a 4 cylinder, as will the petrol, litres per hundred kms around the 12 to 14 for that year of car. One fail safe way of checking is get the RAA to give it the once over, if the yard agrees to it. But then again the yard is giving you a 1 years warranty which is peace of mind, that's about as much as I can tell you.

Re the Barry big wheels look, if you drive into their car park smoking the wheels, windows down, duff duff music blaring out, a joint hanging out of your mouth, thongs, tracki dakkies and a mullet yes you will

Reliable chain driven engine.

Most cars like this are auto here.

Check carefully the conditions of the 'free 12 month warranty' as the seller will only be liable for the car to be roadworthy when you drive it off (not that that stops a lot of dealers selling cars that are not roadworthy.

Good luck!

Guest Guest14361
The executive bogan's choice of chariot!

You can still pick up a European V6/straight 6 barge of the same age over here, BMW 5 series, VW Passat etc

Each to their own though when it comes to cars..

might want to blend in more.....what 2002 European can you get for $5k with a 1 year warranty,any examples?

With just over a week to go, before we land in Adelaide - I am shortlisting cars to view.

I should go for something practical, economical etc, etc....... But thats not really me, when it comes to cars.

Here in the UK my wife always has the new car and over the last few years i have taken to driving older, comfy barge (old Jags, that kind of thing) type cars.

The budget for my car (which initially will be our only car) will be $5500 - Which really doesn't buy much.

However, i have seen this car advertised:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/old-reynella/cars-vans-utes/2002-holden-whii-statesman-sedan/1073289681

And it looks like something i could happily waft around in - Its hansom (in its own kind of way) has lots of equipment and looks relatively understated.

I know it has 250k on the odometer, but then everything thing i look at seems to have 250k on the odometer.

Does anyone know much about these cars? And specifically the engine? Is it belt or chain driven? does it have any inherent issues, like head gasket failure, water pump issues, etc? Are the gearboxes strong?

I am assuming that one must be incredibly thorough when inspecting a car in SA as there is no annual inspection for road worthiness??

We have had a Holden Commodore white wagon since we arrived - about 3 years ago. She's been very good, handles well, nice smooth power (V6) and very practical. Fantastic on the open road with cruise control on if your doing longer journeys (we've done Coober Pedy and Melbourne in her). Not sure about the Statesman but it's a good idea to join the RAA as the vehicle inspection service is good and gives you peace of mind (though I have to be careful here as I have just started working for them in the last few weeks!). They also do a warranty inspection so as you come to the end of your warranty, you can drop it in and they will tell you what needs fixing for free.

Here's one I found which looks quite okay:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/echunga/cars-vans-utes/2004-holden-vz-commodore-wagon-3-6l-auto-air-p-steer-low-km/1071251169

Worth noting that the 3 month statutory warranty doesn't apply to cars over 200,000km - check out this guide:

https://www.strattonfinance.com.au/insurance/learn/articles/extended-vehicle-warranty-insurance-guide.aspx

Good luck!

Edited by zebedee

I actually find big engine cars nice, because you don't have to 'scream' in them.... you ride round, riding a wave of torque pulling barely any revs.

I recently sold my 4.2litre Jaguar XJ8 in preparation for moving to Australia and so, for the last 4 weeks i have been using my mothers 1.6 litre Nissan Note (both the Jag and the Nissan are Automatics) and its dire..... On a motorway run its slightly worse on MPG than the Jaguar which would cruise at 1800rpm as opposed to the Nissan's 3750rpm.

Around town the Nissan is shocking - hunting for gears and never has any power reserve to nip in a gap or make swift progress out of a junction - The Jag just needed a slight prod of the accelerator pedal and you were on your way with no drama or fuss.

So, i have spent exactly the same (in the real world day to day driving) on fuel in a 1.6 litre 'thrashy/noisey' box than i would have done in a 4.2 litre Jaguar but had not of the 'pleasure' of experiencing effortless comfort or torque.

I wouldn't say big engined cars are crazy at all.

Edited by richard300

Guest Guest14361
I actually find big engine cars nice, because you don't have to 'scream' in them.... you ride round, riding a wave of torque pulling barely any revs.

I recently sold my 4.2litre Jaguar XJ8 in preparation for moving to Australia and so, for the last 4 weeks i have been using my mothers 1.6 litre Nissan Note (both the Jag and the Nissan are Automatics) and its dire..... On a motorway run its slightly worse on MPG than the Jaguar which would cruise at 1800rpm as opposed to the Nissan's 3750rpm.

Around town the Nissan is shocking - hunting for gears and never has any power reserve to nip in a gap or make swift progress out of a junction - The Jag just needed a slight prod of the accelerator pedal and you were on your way with no drama or fuss.

So, i have spent exactly the same (in the real world day to day driving) on fuel in a 1.6 litre 'thrashy/noisey' box than i would have done in a 4.2 litre Jaguar but had not of the 'pleasure' of experiencing effortless comfort or torque.

I wouldn't say big engined cars are crazy at all.

spot on mate

• 8 years later...