Public Transport Experiences

John Browning

Notwithstanding the hideous experiences we lived through while Serco were running the buses

- A good news story, for a change:

Hopped on the bus at the corner of my street yesterday afternoon to sniff out the new Aldi store

Transferred to an O'Bahn bus at Klemzig.

-Stepping into the shopping centre, realised the entire trip ( that is door to door, from Payneham / St Peters to Modbury TT Plaza) had taken:

13 minutes !!!?!

( -go beat that Bronwyn B Bishop)

JB :swoon:

oh yes , and speaking of Bronwyn B Bishop....it didn't cost me, or you, a cent.

Edited by John Browning

Our first home was at Morphett Vale bus practically outside the door BUT it used to take over an hour to the city as it went through Reynella East etc and no bus lanes back then ( 1982) It out us off bus rides for a long time Prior to coming back to the UK in 2013 though we did use the train a lot and found that much easier than the long bus ride

Edited by Philly47

The buses still take ages!

During the duplication of the southern expressway (and the electrification of the Noarlunga line...now called the Seaford line...both at the same time!!!!) it was necessary to take a bus from the south into the city and it took SO long. They brought all the mothballed buses back into service...the ones with dodgy aircons and it wasn't pleasant!

The new electric trains from the south are ok although the old morning express trains have now been replaced by the "limited stop trains". I think that the new trains take a couple of minutes longer than the old ones. I use public transport when there's a cricket game at the Adelaide oval, maybe to an event at the Adelaide entertainment centre if i want to do something different with the kids but generally not too much.

I usually park in the U Park in Gouger and catch one of the free trams down into Rundle or wherever and don't have any bad experiences to report. Maybe too crowded at times. Maybe too many drunks at times on an evening but what do you expect later at night...

My shops and just about everything else are all 2 minutes away from where I live in Port Noarlunga so no public transport necessary. It's possible to walk.

With the completion of the southern expressway I drive into the city and only use public transport infrequently.

The O-Bahn is great isn't it? I hardly ever actually use it but the couple of times I have I have been really impressed at how quick you get between the city and Paradise. I catch the bus to and from work every day and have always been happy enough with it. It helps that we are near the beginning of the route so I always get a seat going in. The bus I catch runs really regularly in the morning as well. If I miss my normal bus there is another one due 5 minutes later during school term time or 12 minutes later if it's school holidays. The bus going in the other direction goes to Paradise interchange and I am informed it is as quick to catch the bus to Paradise then the O-Bahn to the city as it is to catch the bus direct to the city. Not tried it yet but might do one day.

Scenario finished work at 3pm in the city on a 42 degree day ,caught the Old Red Hen to Hallett Cove only it broke down the stop before and we sat there for 30 minutes cooking ! Got to car and old Valiant with no air con - melt down time drove home frazzled to Morpehtt Vale hubby in garden with the hose on got to hose me down clothes an all Must admit even with all their faults the new trains are much better than the old red hens

The O-Bahn is great isn't it? I hardly ever actually use it but the couple of times I have I have been really impressed at how quick you get between the city and Paradise. I catch the bus to and from work every day and have always been happy enough with it. It helps that we are near the beginning of the route so I always get a seat going in. The bus I catch runs really regularly in the morning as well. If I miss my normal bus there is another one due 5 minutes later during school term time or 12 minutes later if it's school holidays. The bus going in the other direction goes to Paradise interchange and I am informed it is as quick to catch the bus to Paradise then the O-Bahn to the city as it is to catch the bus direct to the city. Not tried it yet but might do one day.

- Well yes Nick... I can understand people who had reservations at the time it was planned. But given that we paid for the O'Bahn decades ago, (- and given that it generally works so well), it's disappointing the number of people who have never even thought of using it.

There seems to be a perception that if you don't live next to an interchange, that it isn't going to useful to you... As you point out -that 's completely untrue. Unlike a tram or a train system it is completely flexible.

Also interested to see that the new lock- up's at the interchanges are being used by people in Gophers as well as push bikes.

JB:swoon:

Hi Nick

I agree that you do not need to live right on top of it to make use of it.

I live about 10 kms from the O Bahn at Tea Tree but if I go to town I always make a point of using the O-Bahn because it is so quick and gets you right into the heart of the city.