Car rental

masha

I'm not sure there are any car hire places actually in North Adelaide itself. Or did you mean north of Adelaide? They are 2 very different things.

FWIW I am pretty sure there are a few of the big name car rental companies based along or near North Tce in the CBD. So just back across the river from North Adelaide itself. Would be easy to get to the CBD from North Adelaide. You can check google maps to see where they are in relation to North Adelaide :)

Well - if you are staying in North Adelaide (which is a couple of Kms north of the CBD, and is connected by a free connector bus to the city):

Instead of hiring one car for the full month...you might be better off using Go Get to hire any number of different kinds of brand new car (plus vans / 4WD etc etc) for a few hours (-or possibly a few days) at a time, without worrying about parking etc etc (.......you might find you are a lot better off)

You just book a car of your choice and pick it up from a local Pod

The other advantage is that you'll be tempted to make fuller use of the Public Transport System...which is almost certainly better and cheaper than what you've been used to in the UK

JB

Edited by John Browning

Hi Masha, we used ACE Car rentals when we arrived. The cars aren't immaculate but they aren't wrecks either and it did us until we found our own car. We paid about 280 gbp for a month. We downloaded the rental cars app and booked through there. Just make sure you take out excess insurance! We used them up in Brisbane as well and had no grumbles.

Regards

sarah

• 1 year later...

Hi Sarah

I have just looked up ACE car rentals and the cheapest is $1774 for a month in January!  How did you get it for £280?  We could really do with getting a car for a couple of weeks before we buy one - anyone else got any tips for how we could get a cheap car for a couple of weeks please?

Zoe

January is school holidays and most expensive time to rent. Another consolidator site is vroomvroomvroom, but even they seem to have put up their prices lately.

I think John has some good ideas about renting only if you know you need a car. Some parts of North Adelaide is notoriously difficult for parking and is only a short walk across the parklands from the CBD, if that is where you wish to be.

On 8/30/2017 at 5:27 AM, TheTaylors said:

Hi

We're staying in Lockleys for the whole of January and will need a car to go and see rental properties and possibly cars to buy.  I know Jan is a busy time but the cost difference is huge!  Anyone have any other ideas for a cheaper way to have access to a car please?

Have the rental companies hiked their prices for the summer hols? Seems a bit strange to have a big jump in price but perhaps its the norm and I've not noticed as never used them. 

It may be you hire one for a few days and chalk up the price hike and make finding a car to buy (even an older run around) your first priority then? There are plenty of used car places around to choose from. Lots on South Rd and other places. If you are on a bus route you could use that to get around if you can plan out routes. Would take a bit more time but for a few days would be bearable. You are not too far from South Rd, a scoot along Sir Donald Bradman then you'd hit it. 

If its January and I am around, I'd possibly be able to drive you to a few car sales places or perhaps to a few rental viewings (depending on area as I don't want to go miles out of my way). Drop me a PM nearer the time. I can't promise as its school holidays and all that but will see nearer the time :)

• 3 years later...