Buying a new car

masha

Hi all,

We're arriving in Adelaide in little over a week's time and we are planning to rent a car to start with but would also like to buy a new car sometime in June. We would want to buy a new Kia Sportage as it's large and cheap enough. Is there a kia garage in Adelaide or does anyone know of a good car dealership where we can get a new car from.

many thanks

Masha

There's a few Kia dealers around the suburbs. When you're here, find out the closest one to you and go get a deal. Don't let them know you're fresh off the boat though. Do you know what model you want? Si, SLi or Platinum? I can recommend Wayne Phillis Kia at Reynella, but if you're North, it won't be much use. You can usually get about 12% off sticker price over here, if you're good at haggling. I'll say again, don't let them know you've just arrived.

That's great, many thanks for the tips. We want to get an Si type, probably petrol as it's a little bit cheaper. All the prices on the websites say "excluding government charges" do you know what this refers to and how much these charges are, many thanks. Also, do you know if there is any chance of getting interest free finance or even if this is offered in Australia? many thanks Maria

• 3 weeks later...
That's great, many thanks for the tips. We want to get an Si type, probably petrol as it's a little bit cheaper. All the prices on the websites say "excluding government charges" do you know what this refers to and how much these charges are, many thanks. Also, do you know if there is any chance of getting interest free finance or even if this is offered in Australia? many thanks Maria

I don't know if you'll need to be able to prove income for buying a new car in finance. If so, you may have to wait a few months till you've got that coming in.

We bought a second hand (2 owners from new) car for $6,000 or so when we arrived. Had 11 months rego, full service history and its been fine. 2.5 years or so after we bought it, still got it and no plans to change. Done 50k or so since we bought it.

Xzibit - bang on right. Don't say you've just arrived. Haggle and haggle some more. From the outset make it clear that you're not fussed about the car, you have no real interest in cars and theirs just fits the bill along with 1 or 2 other brands. Obviously don't be rude but don't let the dealer snake their way in to try and be your new best friend.

Until a couple of years ago I bought cars like everyonelse. Then I work colleague who was fresh off the boat asked if I would help her. She only needed a small cheap car until her partner arrived 3 month later. What an eye opener. I made it clear to the dealer it was all about the $$ and there was no passion for the car. We haggled (never normally liked doing - thats why the dealer tries to befriend you) and walked out twice only to be pulled back in and a lower price offered. Hugely successful.