Holiday in the UK - things to do!

I'm heading back to the UK for a holiday next month... I've been here seven years and this will be my fifth trip back.

Are there any areas/attractions/sites/exhibitions/things to do that you:

- really miss now you live in Australia

- wish you'd been to / spent more time at when you lived in the UK

- have discovered that they exist since you've moved to Australia, or maybe something new

- something you've done when you've been back to the UK 'as a tourist' that you never did whilst living there?

So far my list for the UK includes the Harry Potter studio tour (such a kid!), the Museum of Brands, Packaging & Advertising in London, ice skating at Somerset House... and that's it - so far!

Any ideas!? If it helps I don't have kids, will be based at my parent's home in Bucks and am not interested in sport of any kind but up for most other things! Thanks in advance

Mostly only areas that were familiar already- Dartmoor, some of the Cornish fishing villages, childhood haunts. Further afield, would probably check out Natural History Museum in London (just love it), Lego Land is awesome and we miss that. Always fancied going to Edinburgh but never made it, though have been to the High Lands - they were stunning, quite fancy that again. Erm, North Wales - Snowden, never made it there.

All the major museums are free in London, so lots of possibilities

http://www.timeout.com/london/museums/free-museums-in-london

Love doing the Natural History museum then nipping round the corner to the Science Museum. And then of course the V&A not too far away :) Then a wander off through to Hyde Park and along to Buckingham Palace if so inclined. London Eye if you've a head for slow heights and its a clear day.

I'm from the west country and so like Zebedee would suggest Dartmoor and some of the north Devon and Somerset coast. Its stunning to see although the time of year might make it cold and miserable viewing wise. Lost Gardens of Heligan are wonderful but again, time of year against you http://www.heligan.com/

Off the top of my head I'd say York as a city is lovely. Also if you are inclined Salisbury for a day out or road trip and combine with other places is good, the cathedral alone can take hours of my time. You can have a stop off at Stonehenge (with new tourist centre and all that now) http://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/

I love Lyme Regis and spending hours fossicking around for fossils. This time of year can be good for fossil hunting as rainfall and weather often makes for landfalls along the coast. Its a wellies day in winter but with planning can be fab. Some lovely shops and cafes also but some may be seasonal.

Edinburgh is always worth a visit. The castle is open in winter and a good tour. Also the Scott Monument if you've legs to climb to the top http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Monument And some great pubs and shopping and other things. Ooo King Arthurs seat for a hike. A lot of atmosphere in the city.

Wow - those two museums in one day?! You have more energy than I do - they are huge and yes, free. Amazing places.

Lyme Regis and nearby West Bay are two of my most treasured places - childhood memories of fossil hunting with dad. We got our lad a giant Megalodon tooth from the fossil shop in Lyme Regis a few years ago and had it framed for him, it makes the Great Whites teeth look like a goldfishes! It's worth going there just to see the Ichthyosaur fossil they have there, taken from the rocks just a few miles away.

Wow - those two museums in one day?! You have more energy than I do - they are huge and yes, free. Amazing places.

Lyme Regis and nearby West Bay are two of my most treasured places - childhood memories of fossil hunting with dad. We got our lad a giant Megalodon tooth from the fossil shop in Lyme Regis a few years ago and had it framed for him, it makes the Great Whites teeth look like a goldfishes! It's worth going there just to see the Ichthyosaur fossil they have there, taken from the rocks just a few miles away.

Heh, we are early starters and chug on till closing time :confused: And we don't always see the same sections or exhibitions when we visit.

The things we most enjoyed doing on our trip back last year were the simple things - like visiting the pub or going for an Indian. Just loved the old buildings and the history and the diversity of everything. Even enjoyed driving round the M25! We ran out of time to go to the Harry Potter studios but whilst visiting my Auntie in Beaconsfield we went to Bekonscot Model Village - it was a really hot day and some Morris dancers turned up (more for kids though)! Obviously you will be there in winter - we had a lovely weekend once in Stratford on Avon in the middle of winter, saw 'As you Like It' at the Shakespeare theatre which was pretty special. Likewise York is great in winter, we went on a Ghost walk on a cold foggy night - it was very atmospheric. Christmas lights should be going up soon, which I miss so much here, plus maybe go for some walks in the woods with all the fallen leaves underfoot.

Hi Sidestep. I'm heading back to the UK as I moved here alone so the primary reason is seeing friends and my family, plus some

European breaks. I thought it'd be a good chance to see some

places in the UK too - so whilst it's not 'sight seeing trip' I plan on exploring some new places. Loved Tassie when I went last year and Kakadu too. Love to travel in Australia but pretty excited to go back

to the UK and Europe too. :)

Guest Sarah Bradley

How about Oxford it has mummies in the museum and a rail car ride inside a house (the Oxford Experience) which is a bit bizzare the covered markets are quite unique as well as lots of old college buildings to wander around. I also like Windsor Castle and Chessington. But we always go to Alton Towers when we go back the rides are good and the scenery in excellent.