Do think this is a safe option???

Guest spannaelephant

Guest spannaelephant

Hi, was generally looking for peoples opions or previous experiences on the following........

My husband has asked me to join him for a business dinner in the city on Friday night, the only problem being is we have two young children, a 5 and nearly 3 year old, whom we'd like to leave home sleeping peacefully. One of his colleagues has suggested we used 'Dial-an-Angel' to babysit for the night...................and to be honest, as this is something we've never done before, I feel somewhat hesitant to get a total stranger to look after the kids??

Dial -An-Angel seems to be fairly legit with offices throughout Oz, and not only cover babysitting, but a whole heap of other stuff to. My husband has the same reservations, but on the flip side, we'll never be able to get out and about in the evening until we have made some really good friends who would be willing to sit the kids, whilst we go out????

Have any of you used this service or any other for that matter that maybe you can recommend??

In regards to my kids, they are pretty easy going and not unsettled at all over night and will probably sleep through and not even notice, but on the off chance they did wake, I have no doubt they'll be pretty okay???????

Decisions, decisions ?????????? :unsure:

Thank you, thank you, thank you :cute:

Guest guest569

Unfortunately i would probably put the meal on hold. Wait until you have made / found some friends that you can hand on your heart trust. Unfortunately it is something that all of us with children have had to suffer, but at the end of the day your children and your personal belongings ( and privacy ) is your world !!!!

Guest motlyman

We have used odette (minkyme) several times.

She is great with our monster. You wont have any worries with her.

Dont know if she will go that far though. pm her and find out.

Colin

Guest ReadyPenny

Personally I wouldn't use them. If it were me, I would use Dette, she is recommended on here by people who you have been chatting to for a while, and that for me, beats a complete stranger. I am always dubious about the references etc, they can be computer generated so well these days that they stand for nothing, in my opinion only

At the end of the day, it's up to you, they are your kids and you know what is best for them. You will soon make friends you can trust too. We have been here for 10 weeks and met some lovely people that I am more than happy to leave Amber with, when they are willing to have the little beggar!!!!

Good luck and hope you make the dinner

Mandy

I don't know if your kids go to pre-school/kindy but if they do, why not ask there?

I know some people who work in childcare will offer babysitting too....you just have to ask and at least then you'll know them, they'll know your kids and they'll be police checked too!

It's tough in this kind of situation, I guess you'll just have to go with your heart. If Minkyme can't help, why not try Adelaide-brits to see if anyone can help there?

Hope you find someone you're happy with.

:wubclub:LC

Guest Libby1971

If you are going out for dinner, whatever the circumstances, you want to enjoy it. By the sounds of it, even asking the question, means you may not with your attention being diverted elsewhere.

While I have no doubt that there are some who are happy with agencies such as these, I have not used them or anything similar. In your situation, I would thank hubby very much, suggest we go out another time just the two of us, and then take the time to meet Odette and others and make sure they have met your little ones. It would also give you time to find out more about the company should you wish to.

I hope I haven't been too personal in my reply.

I have been using a babysitter who works at my daughters OSCH. I have twins aged 9 but she has also looked after my visitors children when they have been here and sometimes a friend brings their child over to mine if she cant find a sitter. No agency fees, $10 an hour, lovely girl studying teaching at Uni. She is often available at short notice too. I have used her maybe 10 times and never had any issues with her.If anyone is interested please PM me. I have asked if I can pass on her no and she is happy for me too.

I am a Police Officer and believe me I have checked her out. My girls forward to us going out and she is brilliant with them. She drives and lives in Aberfoyle Park.

Cheers

Karen

Guest Em76

If you were already this way I would happily sit for you - but Glenelg is a long old way from the hills, and I'm on guide camp all weekend! Hope you enjoy your night out x

I can understand your reticence, and my children are a bit older than yours, but we have struggled to find babysitters and have been forced to use a babysitting agency here in the UK.

We have been very pleased with the service, they have all been very professional and the children have enjoyed having them look after them. :D

We have no grandparents here to help out, my sister is too busy living her own life and it is difficult to get hold of local teenagers.

All the sitters with the agency must have experience either working with children or in nursing and are well qualified. We have tried using teenagers from the village to babysit, but to be honest I would rather have an adult with experience looking after my kids.

When we get to Adelaide we will be making full use of my in-laws babysitting service!!

Guest spannaelephant

I'd just like to thank all of you who replied. At the last minute a friend offered to sit for me, and a good night was had.....

However, I have arranged to go out again this week, and Odette will kindly be sitting for us then.

Thanks for all the recommendations and advice, Anna