Camping equipment

Hi all,

We have recently been granted our visa and are starting to think about things to take out to Aus. We enjoy camping and would like to know if there any any good camping shops in adelaide. Is it worthwhile bringing out a tent or can we buy good quality tents in Adelaide at a reasonable price ie 4 man family tent for around £300. I know there are quite a few camp sites in the area so hopefully can do some exploring when we arrive. We will be bringing all our other camping stuff just wondered about the tent.

Cheers

Hi all,

We have recently been granted our visa and are starting to think about things to take out to Aus. We enjoy camping and would like to know if there any any good camping shops in adelaide. Is it worthwhile bringing out a tent or can we buy good quality tents in Adelaide at a reasonable price ie 4 man family tent for around £300. I know there are quite a few camp sites in the area so hopefully can do some exploring when we arrive. We will be bringing all our other camping stuff just wondered about the tent.

Cheers

I would bring it all. There is loads of camp shops here but you be better bringing what you got to save paying out.

I would bring what you have got. It's nice to have the home comforts.

We bought our 4 man tent from Harris Scarfe's in the City for $75 at 50% off but found out that it wasn't an all weather tent - luckily it didn't rain on our camping trip!

Guest Fancy a Beer
Hi all,

Cheers

Yes definatly bring it all, we have been to so many places here in South Australia , there are loads of camp sites offering many different things, camping stuff here is cheap compared to the UK, got several Expats that we camp with and one has a tent from the UK, only thing it lacks is fly nets which can be a bit annoying but other than that is great!!

Rays Outdoors in my opinion is expensive in comparision to Kamart and Anaconda (cant spell it) but there are no shortage of places to buy stuff here!

Guest sandar1

I bought a tent at Harris Scarfe in their sale - six man tent, with all the bells and whilstles, admittedly I had to go to the sale at midnight but it was a fantastic buy and I paid $129 very happy and have used it heaps already. Remember stuff like this is made for our climate. You are going to have a ball camping in Oz, hey maybe those of us who all like to camp should plan a weekend away. Whose up for it, (oh but only when it gets a bit warmer, I'm freezing at the moment and don't really fancy a night in the tent right now).

Guest sandar1

We did the same in India (must have been mad) but when you're in a convoy not so bad, except one that we did was in the middle of a conflict with the Indo/Pac situation, so spent the night with migs flying over us, and following a convoy all the way of Indian troops - fun and games. And when we went off on the camels overnight with my three year old bouncing up and down in front of me hitting my chin, kept thinking if my mother knew what I was doing now she would kill me.

Anyway, I think it would be fun if a bunch of us got together to go camping any takers during the summer, maybe we could do the Coorong???

Sandra D

We'd be up for a big camping trip. We went away with another couple from Manchester at the easter weekend, and had an absolute ball. Although with small kids we tend to stick to powered sites. We bought a camper trailer last year, and think it's fantastic piece of kit. We also got the full gas cooker, with hob and stove built into it. Along with camp fridge full kitchen, the lot. Definately something to try to organise, i know the other couple would be up for it, along with some others, including some of our aussie mates.

Guest sandar1

Sounds great give us a call not sure if this is how I send a private message to you so if its not and you know how to let me know. Anyway work phone number is 08 8357 3093. Lets discuss and see if we can start planning (for when it is warm), not sure how basic you want to get, i stayed up at Port Vincent in the Caravan Park recently and that is probably good starter for those who haven't camped before, then we could work maybe on the Flinders Ranges. Port Vincent is a great little town and great crabbing and day trips around the peninsular and within easy range of Adelaide for a weekend away. So quite a good start.

Anyway give us a buzz. Sandra

Sounds like there are loads of good camping sites around the Adelaide area. Can't wait to be able to join you all out there. Although have got the visa we still need to sell the house and ideally find a job. Could be a long process. Hopefully we can pick up this thread when we arrive in Aus.

Cheers

We would definately be keen, but will have to wait till i return from Africa (currently working on a wee project out here) and the weather gets warmer. Like i said, as long as it's powered site, cos we have younger kids, and somewhere for them to run around creating havoc on there own, then great. Will speak to some other couples when i get back in Oz.

Guest sandar1

Terrific, you will love Port Vincent, used to go there as a kid, and hasn't changed a whole lot, which is wonderful in this ever changing world (not always for the better) we can go fishing too.

Looking forward to it. Have a great time in South Africa.

Sandra