Cairns?????

Guest PommyPaul

Guest PommyPaul

Fishing for some info and reconmendations on Cairns as my mum is coming over very soon and wants to go there for a week on her own. I don't know the layout (where's best etc....) so I am open to suggestions, I know she wants to do the activities and spend some time on the beach.

I have had a look for B&B/half board but they don't seem to be very popular, mainly just a room etc.....

Any help would be great

Thanks

Paul

Guest Vicks&Stu

We have just come back from Cairns. We stayed in Palm Cove - which was great.

It was quiet and we were told it's even quieter this year than normal. There are plenty of day trips and most of the hotels can book these for you. And you can't beat the weather at the moment, much warmer than Adelaide! Port Douglas was nice too, a bit bigger and about an extra 1 hour on from Palm Cove so about about an hour 15, hour and a half from the airport.

Vicks & Stu

Guest PommyPaul
We have just come back from Cairns. We stayed in Palm Cove - which was great.

It was quiet and we were told it's even quieter this year than normal. There are plenty of day trips and most of the hotels can book these for you. And you can't beat the weather at the moment, much warmer than Adelaide! Port Douglas was nice too, a bit bigger and about an extra 1 hour on from Palm Cove so about about an hour 15, hour and a half from the airport.

Vicks & Stu

Brilliant - going to look into that.

Thanks for your help

For our honeymoon we did a 2 centre holiday in both Cairns and Port Douglas. It was a long time ago so no doubt both places have grown dramatically.

You can go out to the barrier reef from both places, Cairns is more convenient for going up to Kuranda on the train, Port Douglas is more convenient if you want to head up north to the rainforest - Daintree or Cape Tribulation. There is plenty to do in both places, trips out etc.

Obviously Cairns is more lively in terms of shops, pubs, restaurants etc but its main drawback is that is doesn't have a beach. However Palm Cove, Trinity Beach etc are not too far away. We hired a car one day and explored those beaches, they were very nice with good accomodation. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the esplanade in Cairns which was excellent. Cairns seemed to attract a younger crowd, lots of backpackers, plenty to do.

Port Douglas is a more laid back beach resort, but you have to remember you can't swim in the sea for a large part of the year (summer) because of stingers, there is a netted area but they are not 100% reliable. We went in early October and luckily it was still safe to swim - the beach was deserted and the sea lovely and warm it was beautiful. Hope this helps. I'm sure you will have a great holiday wherever you go.

Guest PommyPaul

Thanks for the info it's all been a great help and I am starting to get a picture of the place now. Getting a bit jealous now as this is for my mum, oh well we live here and can go anytime I supose!!!

For our honeymoon we did a 2 centre holiday in both Cairns and Port Douglas. It was a long time ago so no doubt both places have grown dramatically.

You can go out to the barrier reef from both places, Cairns is more convenient for going up to Kuranda on the train, Port Douglas is more convenient if you want to head up north to the rainforest - Daintree or Cape Tribulation. There is plenty to do in both places, trips out etc.

Obviously Cairns is more lively in terms of shops, pubs, restaurants etc but its main drawback is that is doesn't have a beach. However Palm Cove, Trinity Beach etc are not too far away. We hired a car one day and explored those beaches, they were very nice with good accomodation. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the esplanade in Cairns which was excellent. Cairns seemed to attract a younger crowd, lots of backpackers, plenty to do.

Port Douglas is a more laid back beach resort, but you have to remember you can't swim in the sea for a large part of the year (summer) because of stingers, there is a netted area but they are not 100% reliable. We went in early October and luckily it was still safe to swim - the beach was deserted and the sea lovely and warm it was beautiful. Hope this helps. I'm sure you will have a great holiday wherever you go.